Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if something is deleted on XP, is there a way to get it back?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I believe you can go to system restore for a certain date that you select and everything should be ok.

I'm by no means a comp geek. Billmeek would know better and tell you how to accomplish said task.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Nancy

Unless you turned the option off XP will routinely create 'restore points' for you that will enable you to recover when things go bad - well sometimes! :wink:

Log on as Administrator
Go to Control Panel
Click Performance & Maintenance
Click system restore which is listed top left under 'See Also'.
Then just follow the yellow brick ..........sorry folow the wizard. :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It may be as simple as retrieving it from the wastebasket. Open the wastebasket & look for the file that was deleted, if you can identify it/them all you have to do is click on it to highlight it, then right click & select restore, & it will be put back where it came from.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's my mom in law's computer. I will find out in a few hours. Her soon to be ex deleted everything. Hopefully it is in the recycle bin. I hope she has an automatic system restore. I will try that first.
We shall see...
I'll update here if I can't figure it out. She said she wasn't worried about it that I could fix it. :shock:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Fit it?

Fit it? In the the trunk of the Burgman?

Well, you can bungie it to the seat behind you on the Harley or take the cage! Keeping my fingers crossed you can be scooting again soon! :D

Dee

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for catching my typo and bringing attention to it. LMAO.
In my defense, I didn't have my glasses on yet. lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
pauljo said:
The XP Recycle Bin holds a limited number of files. So if a massive amount was deleted, that won't be the answer...
Paul has a good point there.

You need to do this in two steps.

First, get everything you can out of the Recycle Bin. Save every data file you can to disk.

Second, only then should you try a Restore. Restoring a previous "state" would overwrite anything you brought back from the Recycle Bin, and Restoring first would probably wipe out the Recycle Bin.

If the computer is still under warranty you probably should check with Technical Support. They might have a better solution.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Those deleted files are probably still on the drive, and are quite possibly recoverable. When we delete files, they really aren't deleted, it just looks to us like they are gone. They stay on the drive- invisible to us, and marked so when new information is saved the computer knows it can use the space being taken up by those marked files. It's when new files are saved onto the space deleted files are using that they get entirely wiped out. There are data recovery companies out there that can retrieve this type of information. It's not exactly cheap, but it may be worth it depending on what you have on the drive.

That's something to keep in mind when you donate an old computer, or toss one out. Even if you reformatted the drive, or otherwise erased it. your old files are still there and can be recovered. You can buy software that over writes all the files on a drive with gibberish, thereby really erasing your data from the drive.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lucked out. My mom in law actually had a file recovery program on her computer. I did a restore, saved what was needed and will let her delete the folder and shred it. I'd do it but I need to show her how to operate her program.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got the files off MIL's computer that she needed. Found she wasn't running any sort of virus or spyware programs. Finally got some downloaded and she had 80 spyware programs and 40 virus'.
The computer runs a lot better now. I'm running yet another scan just to make sure I got everything.
Told her she needs to go buy a virus program or something. She's had 5 different free trial ones on here.
I downloaded AVG however it wouldn't update. Might try again since I got the virus' off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts