Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so tired of my weak sounding horn! It doesn't sound loud enough so cars can hear it when I use it. That is a hge safety issue for me. What are some after market horns that can be used on my Burgie (400)? Thanks ahead of time for any feedback. Mark

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think Harbor Frieght has a nice loud horn. Something like "Bad Boy" that many have used, but I havn't.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
FIAMM makes a flat disc horn that can be bolted in right where the stock horn is. It produces 130 db of sound which is way louder than stock. They make both a low tone and a high tone. I've found that if you are going to mount just one the high tone is more attention getting than the low tone. The high tone has the part number 40310.

I've got just a high tone mounted on my 400 and it is just wired with the stock wiring. On my 650 I have both a low tone and a high tone mounted. I ran separate wiring from the battery for them with relays controlled by the stock horn button.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Craig, When you say "high tone" does that mean like the tone the bike comes with? I would consider the stock one to be a weak sounding high tone.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Yes it is a higher pitched horn kind of like the stock horn but with more of a horn like sound and less of a a beep beep sound. They are made so that if you run both a low tone and a high tone together they harmonize like dual auto horns do.

I bought mine at O'Reily Auto Parts a few years back for about $12.

I think Wolo and several other manufacturers also make similar horns but you would want to check the db rating to see how loud they are. Just be sure to get one with both negative and positive terminals on it. The single terminal models designed for vehicles that ground through the frame are a little harder to wire up on our bikes that use ground wires instead of grounding through the frame.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use the Fiamm low tone. More than adequate for the job instead of the meep, meep! Pushed right into the horn cavity at the front and use the wiring there, no need for a relay when only using one. Mount to existing bracket with a creative bend.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up for those who will be working with changing their horn in the future. I ended up using a Wolo 305-2T Horn. It's a high pitch horn and very adequate compared to the OEM. I replaced it in 20 minutes or less.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i use the wolo dual air horn, its the "big truck sound"
it was tricky getting the horns to fit but i wedged them into the space on either side of the gas tank

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a pair of amazing horns from Harbor Freight for 7.99 (9.99 minus 20%). They even include a relay in the package!

I mounted the low toned horn in the stock location. I had to do some mods. I bent the stock bracket back and using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel I removed some of the horn shaped plastic at the opening of the horn to make it more compact. Still sounds great!

I hunted all over for a place to mount the high toned horn. Finally I found the perfect spot, behind the fuse box. I made a bracket out of plumbing strapping and the horn hangs down solidly in the space without touching anything (horns like to vibrate.) This horn didn't need the Dremel treatment and the opening points down toward the front tire.

I used the stock connectors to connect the switch control part of the relay and wired in a fuse from the battery to the relay on the battery side of the relay.

The whole project took me about 4 hours but it was well worth the effort. It sounds amazing.

I went to a friend's house who had been considering these for his VTX. I demonstrated the sound for him and his son came out and asked his dad why he was beeping his horn. He thought it was his dad's car! His son had no clue I was installing them and I caught his dad just when he pulled in to his driveway. His reaction was an honest reaction. It was great...lol

Now my friend wants to get them and have me help him install them on his VTX. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree Burgman horn a little weak------but if you think any horn on scooter is going to impress people in 2 ton plus cars/suvs you have then wrong approach to safety-----or even for them to get out of way...better re-think. I have commuted in Tokyo/Seoul/Stuttgart various US cities since 1955 and ridden a lot for business and pleasure over 1.5 million miles worth-----better alert/practiced avoidance skills/ride like the others are deaf dumb and blind and on something. In US traffic, except CA where lane splitting is practiced/ bikes/scooters don't seem to fit in the normal traffic pattern. You have to look out for self. Often times the throttle is also valuable safety device.....get out of their way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like to have as many tools available as possible. Bike handling and avoidance skills are essential. So is awareness of what is in front of you, coming at you from behind and from the side, as well as what is farther down the road. Keeping your equipment well maintained helps too. Sometimes the throttle is your best friend and sometimes it is slowing down a bit. But just in case I like being seen and heard as well. In other words riding smart not scared or carelessly. Depending on a horn alone would be foolish. I'm still liking the horn upgrade! Now, there are a few more of my friends who want it as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had air horns on my last 650 and the few times that I really had to use them the people in the cars and one pickup paid no attention to them at all, just kept cutting me off.

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess I will just go and remove the horns and save my battery for something useful. EVERY single time you use them they will be ignored. I am sorry to have wasted everyone's time with this topic. I think I will remove my brake lights too. They are always ignored. Turn signals, who needs them? I might just sell my bike while I am at it. Nothing good will come of riding a bike. You are always eventually going to get killed on them. You know what? Why leave my house? The world is far to dangerous to go out in.

All I am saying is if you are going to ride it is nice to have as many options as is practical to ride safely.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have one of those boat horns with the can of compressed air.......strapped to the front fork with a chain attached....!!! :thumbup:

Reactions: Kilted Tailor

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Here's my set up, two Flamm horns, high and low sound, mounted in the original location using an extended bracket and a bit of plastic cutting. Works great, sounds like a truck.

[attachment=0:3cjwp8hl]duel horns.jpg[/attachment:3cjwp8hl]

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to clarify, it's not that I expect anybody to pay attention or get out of my way, I just want my horn to be loud enough to make somebody think hmm, what's that? I want something that can install easily on my 2017 Burgman 650 using the same space, same power, same controls. With little or no alteration of mounting hardware, as I am a mechanic's joke and should not be allowed tools. So, I will pay the dealership ridiculous money to install it, and I don't want it to be complicated as they will probably screw it up. Any advice you can give, I will appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,364 Posts
Kurt, you double posted this.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It is not good net-iquette to double post !

Please post your location below your avatar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts