Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After spending the entire month of August without my Burgman 400, I decided next summer I should have another bike. I spent a week learning how to take off all the plastic and doing the 14,500 mi. maintenance. Then, because of a code 029, I took it to the dealer to make sure i was doing things right. The dealer has had the bike for 3 weeks to replace a STP sensor. I got the call today and I'll pick the bike up tomorrow.

As someone whose been away from the two wheel scene for quite some time, I'm surprised at this kind of service from the dealer. However, from what I've gleaned from the forum, it's par for the course and I need to get over it.

I see now why so many have more than one bike. I had a major camping trip planned for August and now there is no time.

So, I'm in the market for another bike. Although I'm open to other possibilities, these are the three I'm considering.

Burgman 400
This is where I'm leaning right now. I really like the idea of learning to do all my own maintenance. Another 400 would allow me to become very well aquatinted with one bike. I should be able to learn quickly.

Burgman 650
I've noticed many have this combination. Seeing the strengths of each bike, I can see why it would be a good combination and the difference might be enjoyable.

Wee-Strom 650
My neighbor, with whom I'll do a lot of riding, suggested I look at this option. He has a similar bike and thinks I should keep my shifting skills in shape.

I'll be doing mostly short rides to town. That's 10 miles away in the boonies of Northern Michigan. However, the main reason I have the burgman is to do camping trips. Hopefully some long ones, so comfort will be a big consideration.

Any comments and anecdotes would be appreciated. Also, suggestions for other bikes would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you are going to do any dirt roads the Weestrom is terrific but how tall are you?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
i think they all have pro's and cons
400 pro - could even swap parts to keep running - con - not terribly exciting
650 pro - Better for longer freeway type camping trips, cons - has the same small wheel issue for offroad
vstrom pro - as mac doc said, nice for those goat trails, con - gotta shift !

I went to a large sport tourer - about same weight as b 650 and love the ability for me to swap and change as the mood takes me !

i think you should get all 3 ! lol

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had the same problem last year when my 400 was down for a couple weeks with FI issues. I instinctively started looking for another 400 and actually put an offer on one. Once rejected, I started looking for other 400s, but none were available. And darn it, used 650s are not that much more. I found a decent one for $3300 with 3500 miles on the clock, and it's been a second love ever since.

I use the 400 for commuting and the 650 is my weekend bike. Occasionally I switch them up. I put 10k on EACH bike in the last 11 months.

Doing my own maintenance is not a priority for me, so there's not reason to have them the same. And having the benefits of both bikes is a real pleasure. I'd say get the 650 since you're into camping. Add a top box and saddle bags, you'll be good to go.

Vstrom? Good bike, but no interest in shifting here.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
JB - given where you live the Weestrom but also consider the Honda CB500x

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah! I noticed the price difference was not that much when looking for my 400. There seems to be a lot more used 650's out there also.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JB - given where you live the Weestrom but also consider the Honda CB500x
I've looked at those, but at 6' and 230 lbs. it didn't look very comfortable. I don't ride aggressively, so I'm sure the power of the 500 would be fine.

I haven't tried either the Vstrom or the Honda, but the Vstrom looks more comfortable.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not a Honda 1300 VTX? Will still give you the room the burgman has. Honda makes great machines.
If I was going that route, it would be back to my Harley days. I spent two of the best summers of my life camping with my Low-Rider back in the early 80's. Just me with a back pack on one side of the sissy bar and a guitar on the other side.

Very good memories -- just not my style any more.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After looking at the specs, I think the Honda NC700X might be in the running also. The longer wheel base seems like it would make it more comfortable than the CB500X.

Still, I think another Burgman may be the best choice.

John

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
if your thinking nc700 what about the ctx700d , no shifting , about same prices as b650

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if your thinking nc700 what about the ctx700d , no shifting , about same prices as b650
The only reason I'd consider anything other than the Burgmans is rough road capability. The NC700 looks capable. How do you think the CTX700 would do? To my uninformed eye it doesn't look like it would handle rough as well.

I like the looks of the CTX better, and the laid back position. However, if I'm looking at something to tour the pavement, I'd stick with the Burgmans.

I did a 200+ mi. day today on my 400. Excellent ride!! Another 400 seems hard to beat.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts