Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I tap into an auxiliary power source under the seat? I want to install an auxiliary power supply (USB/12V) for charging cellphone or other such device under the seat. But the only convenient source I can find is the battery and I would rather not tap direct into the battery (I would rather the source be live only when the key is turned on). Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can tap into?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The rear lights would only be on with the key. The wires for that would be around the trunk. make sure you tap into the parking lights and not the brake light or it will only have power when you depress the brake lever{s}.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear lights would only be on with the key. The wires for that would be around the trunk. make sure you tap into the parking lights and not the brake light or it will only have power when you depress the brake lever{s}.
Thanks Speed. I'll see what I need to dismantle to get to those. Appreciated

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Check out my video on youtube, you can see what I did. Tapped directly into the battery. Its the second link in my profile below.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Thanks Speed. I'll see what I need to dismantle to get to those. Appreciated
The plug for the wires going back to the tail lights can be found on the left side behind where the 40 amp main fuses are. You might be able to fish it out by removing just the trunk box cover under the seat but it will be difficult to determine just which wire you need to tap. To gain good clear access to it you are going to have to remove the left frame cover that the fuel filler goes through.

·
Registered
438 Posts
just run it off the main battery...

personally I would do a simple switched power supply setup unless you want a constant open power source.
I agree. A switched power source is a good idea. I put one in (where the tool bag was) when I added dual FIAMM horns. (Another good idea!)

This is all you need for incidental use:

I use it for the pump on my air mattress after the bike is parked. The headlights draw a lot of current.

I use this USB adapter in the glove box socket to charge my phone.

Normally my phone is in the 'off' position when we are on the road, so keeping it charged is not a problem. YMMV.

As for installing a permanent outlet in the trunk, my first instinct is that it's not a great idea. My trunk has gotten wet several times, either directly in pouring rain, from storing wet camping gear, or from a jug of milk that bursts. It takes a long time to dry out, and during that time the plug will be exposed to all sorts of wet and could lead to gremlins letting out the smoke.

Another problem is where to put it: space is tight around the trunk to put anything behind it. It might be easier to put a power block in and run wires to the front box, more convenient and where there is a bit more room for a 12V or USB outlet.

I can also see myself muttering under my breath when I have to get my phone from under the seat. We tour over long distances, camping sometimes, over mountains and across the desert, so there is usually a pile of stuff on the seat. The only time we open the trunk is after we are parked for the night.

Anyway, some food for thought, JMHO.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I would pull the battery and tray/cover as it will give you access to all the wires you need. Wire in a relay with fuse drawing power from the battery and switch the relay on with the running light wire as suggested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
12V plug...

Why not just get a multiple receptacle for the 12V inside of the lockable glove box? Its switched so you can't forget and leave it on.
Or attach a 2 prong plug eg : heated vest & battery charging direct to the battery via fuse...I plug a battery buddy/ tender into it everytime I finish riding. You don't want that one switched but fused. The adapters are endless...
KEN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts