Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full leather biker jacket- it weighs a ton, is black, and is not waterproof. (Thinking of selling it on ebay, I hardly wore it)
I have a jeans jacket- it's too big and flaps around in the wind- very annoying. Plus isn't warm.

So I'm thinking of one of those silver "moonman" motorcycle jackets, can get an armored one for about $64 at LeatherUp.com

Anyone out there have a favorite brand or type of jacket?

Reflectivity is a plus. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Klim Tomahawk. Water proof, breathable, very adaptable to changing temperatures, quality is 2nd to none.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any opinion on Xelement?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Klim tho has no armor.
I favor armoured mesh with a fully waterproof over jacket for rain/warmth.

I picked up my Joe Rocket armored for $50 used and it's been solid for years.
There is so much good used gear out there hardly seems worth buying new.

Mesh is light, cool and protective but with a rain jacket over it is also warm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also use mesh gear in hot weather, I find it is cooler with the breeze coming through it than riding with only a shirt on with the sun beating down on you. It also literally saved my life so I'm biased towards protective gear. Many of the jackets come with a zip out windbreaker/rain cover but they are really flimsy and the jacket still gets soaked so like MacDoc I just buy a rain jacket that will fit over the mesh jacket which keeps me dry and warm. I have a Fieldsheer mesh jacket and a Tecnic heavy armored jacket with a removable reflective liner that is so effective I don't need to use my electric jacket with it. Try MotorcycleGear.com for better prices, they used to be known as NewEnough.com. They don't always have the greatest selection but when they do you can get quite the deals through them.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have owned two true motorcycle jackets. One is a mesh jacket for warm weather and the other is solid textile for colder weather. I love my mesh jacket which is made by Speed and Strength. The other one I have mixed feelings about, it is a First Gear brand. It is warm enough but the velcro for the wrists wore out very quickly and the fit is weird{too long in the sleeves}. So I recommend Speed and Strength but not First Gear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I ride with Olympia Motorsport Jacket. I have the Mesh jacket and an AST jacket; both are HI-VI. Both have an armor include for the back

Use the mesh in summer when the temperature is above 80-85*F. Naturally it's the mesh one is the ligther but the no rain proof too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Tecnic heavy armored jacket with a removable reflective liner that is so effective I don't need to use my electric jacket with it
I have a heavy armored ballistic jacket as well with a liner for the coldest days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One word! Textile. New enough.com great prices good quality brand names, first gear is my favorite. I have series 2 Firstgear Mesh jacket with armor, zip on rain cover, zip in quilted liner for this cold days, Kathmandu over pants with quilted liner, to complete the outfit for any weather. Hot or cold, wet or dry, I got it covered. Reasonable prices, great service. I think they are called motorcycle gear now. Out of Texas, free shipping over $99.
1k mikes last week, covered heat,rain in one outfit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have owned two true motorcycle jackets. One is a mesh jacket for warm weather and the other is solid textile for colder weather. I love my mesh jacket which is made by Speed and Strength. The other one I have mixed feelings about, it is a First Gear brand. It is warm enough but the velcro for the wrists wore out very quickly and the fit is weird{too long in the sleeves}. So I recommend Speed and Strength but not First Gear.
I've been very happy with my Speed and Strength. It held up well when I had my spill.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have an Olympia All Seasons, the jacket has8 zippers for venting, had it about 5 years now. good up till about 80 degrees then it turns into an oven. Today was upper 40s and I had on the 3rd layer. it is not waterproof, but the 2nd layer is a rain liner that is waterproof. Cost $300

I have a First Gear mesh that I use till the temperature gets in the 50's. It has the rain liner and the thermal liner.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
To respond to the OPs question regarding xelement... a couple of years ago I got an xelement textile touring jacket and pants. Advertised as water resistant. It is very stiff, especially the jacket cuffs. Uncomfortable to the point that I only wear it 2-3 times a year when the temps absolutely mandate it. Price was inexpensive (e.g. cheap), perceived quality was 'not very good' (e.g. cheap). The fit tends to run large and you will need it. If the xElement jacket was sized to fit me correctly I could not wear even 3 times a year. I would recommend trying it on and reviewing it critically before purchase. I could not do this as I bought it online. My mistake. I you wear a size XL I'd let mine go pretty cheap.

This year I replaced it with a Sedici 3 season jacket. The feel of the Sedici is far superior and the fit as well. I've only had it a short time o I don't know about durability but I can say that I've been very pleased with some Sedici mesh gloves I've had for a couple of years now. Best gloves I've had from a comfort, fit and durability perspective.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I wear my heavy leather motorcycle jacket that I have had for over 20 years when the temps are cool enough (below about 70 to 75 degrees). This jacket is the traditional standard "cop" style jacket that you see guys wearing that ride cruisers wearing. Although it doesn't have armor, it has worked well for me over the years. For pants, I am a big guy and short. I have never found a pair of riding pants that didn't put the armor at my ankles so I bought a pair of Firehose work pants from Duluth Trading Company. I have been down wearing a pair of these pants and they worked well. Again, no armor.

During the hot season, I wear a Fieldsheer mesh jacket. For rain, I have a good set of Frogg Toggs that I wear over my other riding gear.

If armor is important, I would get armor from Bohn Body Armor. This puts the body armor under your riding stuff and it won't shift on your body if you go down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a lime green Hi-Vis all season's jacket. It shows up much better than my black leather and makes me feel safer and the armor can only help in a crash.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have been using Olympia jackets for the past 8 years and have very pleased. But for riding pants I have been using Motoport as I think the protection they give can not be beat. I have 2 pair, 1 mesh overpant for warmer temps and a stretch for cooler temps both are Kevlar. Not Cheap but well worth the cost. I recently had the opportunity to get the Motorport Kevlar mesh jacket and am sorry I waited so long to do so as Olympia does not compare at all. In my opinion spend the extra money and get the best gear you can afford. Remember its not if, its when you crash you want the best gear between you and the road. Dress for the crash not for the ride!.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
This year I replaced my Olympia AST with an Olympia Ranger jacket. Although the two jackets are similar, the detail improvements provide a superior jacket. The venting is good enough that I only used my mesh jacket once or twice this summer. The collar design closes much better and contains a stowable hood. It's waterproof and has a nice zip out liner that looks good as an off-the-bike jacket.

·
Registered
207 Posts
+1 for textile, with liners they are an all-season solution. I paid a premium for Motoport's Ultra II in Cordura nylon 2-piece suit (worn for over 10 years) and, just this year, an Aero Design Roadcrafter Light (1-piece), getting value in long-lasting well-fitted protective gear with thoughtful touches. I wouldn't say either is exactly worth its premium price, just worth it to me.

I have to admit that in 99+ degree weather I reach for a mesh solution myself. I used to wear Joe Rocket Phoenix series jackets. Decent armor and nothing vents as well as those but at some point I wondered too much how it would hold up in a real crash so I switched to an Alpine Stars T-Stunt Air jacket. I only wish for more venting at the forearms but that is a tradeoff with apparent construction strength.

The budget jacket that always had my eye is the First Gear Kilimanjaro. More recently I like what I see in Olympia's line as well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I might have to try the Olympia brand. I will need to replace my mesh warm weather jacket this next spring but Speed and Strength is not showing any hi-viz yellow jackets in their lineup{I only wear hi-viz yellow for safety}.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts