Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a very low milage 2003 650 Burgman that I've become very fond of. (9100 miles)

With the assistance of Le Dude's videos I've managed to keep it fairly well maintained. I like the bike and would like to keep it.

For the past few years I've been keeping abreast of the CVT issues associated with the 2003/2004 models.

I don't care to get too wordy here, so I'll condense my question down to the elements.

Will the "Polish fix" do anything to minimize the possibility a CVT failure on the 2003/2004 650 burgmans?

I plan on installing one anyway simply because it's a vastly stronger unit than the OEM part,...but I'd like to know if it's going to do anything to minimize the possibility of a CVT failure in my bike.

Also:,...

With the original primary spline adapter removed, is it possible to get lube to the bearing which seems to be a part of the overall CVT failure situation.

·
Administrator
18,723 Posts
One of the things we have speculated on is that the short adapter allows the shaft to wobble some, putting stress on the CVT's input bearing. No proof, just guessing.

On the getting lube to the bearing, no it is sealed from that end.

Over all, if Suzuki had made that "Polish Adapter" in the beginning and did not CHEAPSKATE out on the quality of the CVT's bearings we would not have much to talk about on here. Crap in, crap out...... :roll:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
As Dave said above the input bearing has seals on both side so you couldn't get grease in besides there's no sealing between the engine and CVT cases (I added a anerobic sealer when reinstalling my rebuilt CVT). Certainly the polish adapter will better support the CVT input as well as reduce engine driven gear spline wear. It's my belief on the '03-'04 models when the o-ring on the CVT input goes or the bearing it leads to spline failure because of the slop (dieseling noise) in the adapter gear which then has to support the shaft. I do believe some kind of lube on the splines too be a good thing wear wise.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay,...Polish adapter ordered.

Next step will be to yank the wheels and replace the junk wheel bearings,...and a new stopper bolt, of course.

It's becoming somewhat of a quest of mine to see how many miles I can get out of my 2003.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Smitty_56 said:
I own a very low milage 2003 650 Burgman that I've become very fond of. (9100 miles)
Smitty_56 said:
It's becoming somewhat of a quest of mine to see how many miles I can get out of my 2003.
Got a ways to go judging by the mileage but here's to many years with her. :thumbup:

I bought my '03 new 11/03 and put 26K on it before the CVT/spline/bearing issue and it's sat for a couple of years until I just recently rebuilt it and added the Polish adapter. Hoping to get back on riding it after I'm done with some current lighting upgrades and I'll put the '09 away for a while.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed the Polish adapter recently and have only a couple hundred miles on it so far, but am glad I bought it. I feel like I have done what I can to minimize any potential CVT failures. The Dieseling noise is gone and it feels to me like the engine braking when letting off the throttle is less abrupt and smoother. Acceleration also feels smooth and solid. Probably just my imagining it, but has anyone else felt a difference? Dave J, how is your fab of an adapter coming?
Rick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts