Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Burgman owner. My 06 650 is a pain to push backwards

I park in my garage. To get there I have to drive between our two vans. To get it out, I pull it backwards out the garage, and pass the two vans.

These things are hard to push. Especially backwards.

Any secrets out there. I am considering making a carousel type of thing for the centre stand. I only have a single garage, so there is no three point turns inside the garage

I don't seem to have excessive brake drag. The emergency is properly adjusted. I am in pretty good shape, but this thing is a workout.

Cheers

Blakers

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Put the transmission in Manual (1st gear) before shutting the bike off when you pull into the garage. Push it out before turning the key on in the morning. It pushes much easier. It has taken me a good while to believe this would work and I was very sceptical of the idea. But it does work, a couple of weeks ago I tried it for the first time. Now I use this method any time I need to push backwards out of parking. I can't believe how much easier it is. I am told that this reduces transmission drag. I don't understand the mechanics of why but finally I accept it is true.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Before turning off bike put into power mode and shut down. Makes it easier to push around.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
+1 on putting it into manual before shutting down. You can hear something happening inside the CVT as you do so.

+1 also on reversing into the garage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ride a Gold Wing and then compare to the Burgman. Makes the Burgy feel like a moped to push around.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ride a Gold Wing and then compare to the Burgman. Makes the Burgy feel like a moped to push around.
That is how I knew I was getting old. I had a old 1200 Gold Wing for a while. It took both my wife pushing from the front and me on the bike to get that sucker out of my garage. The cure was getting a Honda Pacific Coast (PC800).

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 2013+ models are MUCH easier to push around. One of the changes they made that I'm thankful for. Goldwings come standard with a reverse and for that again I'm thankful.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is still a bit of an oomph required to start my '13 moving in the morning (before turning it on). I might try that Manual-shut-off trick. If the pre-'13's are harder to push I can see where that is a reasonable complaint.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I back mine out of the garage all the time by just sitting on it & push with my feet. I use the manual mode when needing to back it up a incline. I don't find it any harder to back-up with engine off or on in manual mode. Oh and I'm a senior citizen & no weight lifter body. Fact is I never had a weight lifter body. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I had my '08 Exec, in cold weather I would start it and run it for a minute fast enough to turn the rear wheel. Just a minute seemed to thin the drive line oil enough to make it roll easier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Thanx to all the feedback.

I am going to start at the top of the list and work my way thru all these ideas over the next week.

I will report on my findings.

I think I should take some before and after photos of my thighs and calfs. I'm expecting a big improvement if I can't work this out.

Blakers

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know if anyone else said this but:

Check your parking brake setup for drag.

funny how things pop into your head hours after you actually think of the problem....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Something else to remember. I was a Marine and strong as an ox. Stayed that way for most of my life - strong. In the past 5 or so years I have seen my strength go down, way down. I now tell people I am as strong now as an 11 year old girl. This loss of strength is normal for most of us as we age. As with anything there are people who maintain body strength longer. Just remember learning this somewhere in my past, maybe in college...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bouught a Harbor freight motor cycle dolly http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-motorcycle-dolly-95896.html

I thought I would use it all the time.. I don't.. I just back my 2012 650 out with my feet.. It doesn't seem difficult.. I am sitting on it and just walking it backwards.. off the bike, moving it around, I feeel like I could lose control pretty easily. I learned that just after I got it and I dropped it.. I wastransitioning from an MP3 500 (Piaggio) and moving it around with the front wheels locked was so easy.. I had to learn..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts