Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Need A new Battery

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Scootereno 
#1 ·
I'm sure there have been many riders who have replaced there Batteries , And My question is what are the suggested recommendations for a new Battery , after looking on the net I see there is a large number available with a great range in prices . what would the majority of Burgman Buddies recommend ? all your Input would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Y---Block

#2 ·
Motobatt - It's an agm battery with two extra terminals for possible accessory mounts. Being a dry cell it maintains storage charge much longer and isn't really affected much by cold from my experience. They offer a discount to burgmanusa members if ordering directly so mention that when you call in the order. They can also be found on amazon for a price similar to the discounted rate if not cheaper. Do a search on it here in the forums, lots of information on it.

#3 ·
TechArtGuy said:
Motobatt - It's an agm battery with two extra terminals for possible accessory mounts. Being a dry cell it maintains storage charge much longer and isn't really affected much by cold from my experience. They offer a discount to burgmanusa members if ordering directly so mention that when you call in the order. They can also be found on amazon for a price similar to the discounted rate if not cheaper. Do a search on it here in the forums, lots of information on it.
+1

I just replaced mine with a Motobatt battery, I find it to be much better than the stock unit.

#5 ·
My OEM battery quit on me suddenly and unexpectedly. Initially, I looked into ordering one of the "newer" hi tech type batteries. But I did not want to wait and wait for my new battery to arrive (and some were back ordered).

So I called my Suzuki dealer and he had a Yuasa battery sitting there just waiting for me to come and buy it and install it in my Burg 400. I rushed right over (80 mile round trip) and had my scooter up running the same afternoon.

I'm also sure that my purchase from my dealer will help keep him in business and available for the times that I need service or repairs on my scooters.

Over the years, all of my new motorcycles and Honda scooters have been equipped with Yuasa batteries and they have all proven to be good batteries. But if you want to pay more for a newer type, high tech battery and you can buy it online and wait for it - got for it!

#6 ·
If your scooter sits for a few months at a time like mine does - get a battery tender. The weather here doesn't allow for riding in winter - at least for me. Can't ride in 5-10* temps like I did when I was younger. I bought a 2001 Harley in 2005 that had a new battery. Next spring (no battery tender) it was dead and would not take a charge. So I bought a new one and also got a battery tender. That battery was replaced in March of this year and only because I was selling the Harley and didn't want to have battery failure when demonstrating how it ran. 6+ years on a MC battery ain't half bad. It wasn't even a high priced one - just one from Wal-Mart. I use battery tenders on my SUV now as well as the Burgman - which had a new battery installed by the dealer before I bought it.

Battery Tenders can be bought off Ebay for $25 shipped. That new battery cost a lot more than that.

#7 ·
A Battery Tender will NOT charge a 100% dead battery as it has completely lost it's polarity... It will charge a low battery, only.
I had that problem earlier this year when I left an accessory on directly wired to the battery. I bought from Amazon - a 3 -way charger - tender - and jumper battery... Here is the link if interested - http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-100 ... automotive

Attachments

#8 ·
I just installed a new motobatt battery. Cost was $73, which included shipping from sunn battery.
2 terminals was the main reason for this purchase. Having extra terminals allows you to attach
electronics needing power without having to mess with the battery connections.

#9 ·
Thanks for all your replies , I will defiantly Check out all the options , I have a Battery tender and have been plugging it in at night to keep the battery full charged , I was hoping to keep this one going through this fall and buying a Fresh Battery come spring, rather than sitting on it during the winter. and so far I'm having good luck with this one .
Y---Block

#10 ·
Yep. +10 for Motobatt. Love those extra terminals. My Motobatt is still goin strong.

TechArtGuy said:

#11 ·
i was in need of a battery for my 2009 burgman 650 and i found a lot on ebay and the internet for around 50.00 but no one had them in stock and it would be a few days to get one but they all had the batteries for 89.00 in stock. so i went to plan B and started calling around to all my local battery dealer and asked them do they have a battery for my burgman but i want a battery with a defect or blem that does not affect the performance of the battery but can give me a discounted price. a dealer on 6 miles from my house had one that one of the terminals had plier marks on it so i got it for 52.00 instead of 89.00. try it, it might just work for you.

#12 ·
MotoBatt for me. Based largely on numerous positive (pun intended...) reviews on the forum. However, the OEM battery on my K3 (that's a 2003 model 650), did last until July 2011 -- over 8 years. Can't complain about that.

#13 ·
I generally never wait for a battery to fail before I replace it. I got tired, years ago, of having a durned battery fail - and they'd fail at the most inopportune times...in the morning, in the dark in winter, when I was leaving for work. At night in a movie theater parking lot, nearly midnight, pouring down rain...you name it..so I decided years ago to just be PROACTIVE and replace the battery at the first sign of trouble. Have not had a problem SINCE I started being PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE.

#14 ·
MotoBatt for me. Based largely on numerous positive (pun intended...) reviews on the forum.
Ok now that I got some time in on my MotoBatt, I am not impressed at all. :evil:
Installed last September and by January I had to keep it on a tender to keep it strong enough to start my bike. :roll:
Now 4 hours off the tender and it is too weak to start my bike...with no drain on it at all. :cry:
I have tried the drain and recharge technique as well but the results were short lived. :?
As a matter of fact I have put my 8 year old original battery back in and it works so much better. :shock:
Now to see if they honor their warranty............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.