Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 68, I deserve to treat my self to one of these pricey gizmos which kick in automatically when the electricity shuts off. Any thought/experience with?

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
yup long island , boom

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Yep, had a 15KW one installed in 2005. Since then we've had three major power outages, two lasting for days. Make sure that you stay on top of the maintence. If you have near neighbors, give them a heads up, as this thing will automatically run for 15 minutes each week to keep the oil flowing. Oh yeah, when your power does go out for a while, be sure to run a power cable outside to the front of your house with a power strip on it. Then put a sign up that says "charge your cell phone here". Your neighbors will love you.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Seems like a pricey answer to not much of a problem. It would cost far less to stay in a hotel, even for weeks.

Chris

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Agreed Daboo, I did consider getting a unit large enough to power whole house but cost vs. usage killed the idea. What I did do is purchase a small camping generator (2000 watts) that is inverter technology (stable current - computer and electronics friendly) to re-charge the refrigerator and freezer and run my convection heater (winter - Quartz) or a fan in summer. Although power losses are not common, when they do happen they tend to last a couple of days if the power is not restored within a couple of hours. It also allows me to sleep with my bi-pap which is one of the big issues (med devices) that the folk hit by Sandy w/o power have had to face. And it will run my small sound system for sound gigs when there is no power available for a party or gathering (meaning it is as quiet as a stock Burgman).

I would love to have a NG generator to handle the whole house in case of emergency however the multi-use capaabilites of what I got works for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a 6500 watt portable (sort of) generator that plugs into a plug on the side of the house and that goes to a separate dedicated panel in the basement.. I plug it in and it will run furnace, fridge, all outlets etc.. the generator itself (runs on gas) is only around 1,000.... wiring job is more.. probably at least $1500.. I have also considered a bottle gas Generator to replace my gas generator so I don't have to worry about old gas.. as I only use it about once a year... I ca buy that for about $3800, I think

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I bought a 6500 W generator from Costco about three years ago after we'd had a power outage. Haven't used it since. I should probably start it up, just for grins.

That was what I was thinking of when I responded first when I mentioned moving to a hotel in the earlier post. The cost of a NG generator is a bunch. And if you did like I did and spent that much money for it, what's the chances you'd use it? For those people in the hurricane Sandy affected area, you possibly would've had your generator swept away. If you were using piped in natural gas, would you still have gas service to run it? And if you were in the outlying areas, you probably got power fairly quickly, at least compared to NYC and the New Jersey shore areas. And when was the last time something happened like that? Not in our lifetimes.

If I wanted to pamper myself, I think I'd find something else to spend the money on where I'd get more daily use out of it, instead of a potential use. Have you thought of a Can-Am?

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
another small problem with a home generator I encountered in wabassa Florida, after about 3 days the neighbors figured out we had air conditioning , showers etc, and suddenly we were stingy bastards ,,, behind our backs of course, but when water was needed or electricity for cell phone or other stuff, when the power was back on, there were no friends left in the neighborhood just people who lived around us and wouldn't give us the time of day

·
Registered
739 Posts
I seem to use mine about once a year.. They say a generator should be started periodically and run under load so it exercises.. and the brushes don't take a set.. and lose efficiency.. The longest we have gone here was 3 days without power..nice when you have it.. My next door neighbor built one into a seperate building in the back yard.. runs on LP.. and exercises itself once a week.. automatically comwes on when the power goes off and stops when the power is on.. I figure it has to be at least a $20,000 installation by the time he bought the equipment,built the shed it's in.., ran the wire about 50 feet or so to the house and set it up to run automatically

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sandy caused my power to go out on Monday and not come back on until Sunday. Granted - a pole came down but my house is in a sector that has about twice the power outages as the houses across the street.I average about one outage a year and I would imagine that Sandy has depleted a lot of the poles/transformers already this season and the weather seems to include more and more northeasterns. So far, I have gotten one written estimate for 9,100 for a generator that will supply my 200 amp service and more estimates are on the way. I have lived here for 32 years and have never had the natural gas go off during that time - so that should not be a problem. Yes - it is pricey - but - to me - its worth the peace of mind knowing that at 68, I won't be up in the middle of the night filling my gasolene generator,etc. Also, I think that if I ever wanted to sell my house, having the generator would definitely appeal to buyers. Can Ams don't appeal to me because they are pricey and they don't have a fully automatic tranny and the idea of 2 wheels in front of me would make it seem like a cagelike vehicle. Once I get it, I will keep my 2 gasolene generators still for backup and maybe I will start a small business renting them out - haha!

·
Registered
739 Posts
And you could easilt sell hot coffee in the morning from the front yard.. :wink:

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
What Daboo forgets is the Dec 2006 windstorm. He has been to my house. The storm hit Dec 15, 2006 and all the trees for miles were down on the wires. It took 12 days for the power to be restored. I burnt up almost 150 gallons of "Road Taxed" fuel just keeping the house warm and for cooking. I shut it off at 10 PM and started it at 5:30 AM. In the 10 years we have lived out here we have lost power 2 times a year, 4 times for over 8 days. We have NEVER loss natural gas.

I bought my 6000 watt (7200 watt surge) generator in July 2006, then the Gentrans switch in Aug. But being lazy I did not wire it in till Dec 10th the wife said "Are you ever going to wire up the generator setup?" so I did. My generator cost $525, the switch was another $300, a 30 amp twist-lok outdoor plug was $25, 20 feet of 10/4 gauge wire was $35.

Over the years, I have spent over $1500 in fuel. And the inconvenience of having to go out and pull start the engine. Two weeks after I had my major Burgman crash we had a power outage and the wife could not pull start the generator so I had to. OMG the pain.

My next generator will be a power cranked diesel or NG. I have no problem having 2 55 gal drums of Diesel at the house but would never have a drum of gas here.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
My generator from Costco has electric start. :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Chris

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
If you have a good source of fuel, then consider a gasification generator...you can run about ANY generator on the gas produced by the generator...you can build your own or buy a turnkey unit. But they work. You can build one to run a whole house generator (but you will have to totally disconnect your outside service before kicking it on so as NOT to backfeed electrical lines and possibly kill a lineman. That's one of the high costs of installing a whole house generator that the electric company will approve - an automatic disconnect that trips when the grid goes down.

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
QuantumRift said:
If you have a good source of fuel, then consider a gasification generator...you can run about ANY generator on the gas produced by the generator...you can build your own or buy a turnkey unit. But they work. You can build one to run a whole house generator (but you will have to totally disconnect your outside service before kicking it on so as NOT to backfeed electrical lines and possibly kill a lineman. That's one of the high costs of installing a whole house generator that the electric company will approve - an automatic disconnect that trips when the grid goes down.
This is the most important part. NEVER wire in an alternate power source without a true disconnect. I have been one of the lineman down the line that got crossed up in some 220 Volt backfeeding. The power lines were down on the telephone cables and my voltage detector went off on some house drops that I had to cut out after a storm. If I had grabbed the cables while in contact with a solid ground source it would have hit me hard.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lowe's told me that if I go with a contractor that is not an authorized dealer for the generator he wants to put in (generac), that the company - in this case - Generac - that makes the generator may not honor the warranty on it if needed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
739 Posts
tomfelock said:
Lowe's told me that if I go with a contractor that is not an authorized dealer for the generator he wants to put in (generac), that the company - in this case - Generac - that makes the generator may not honor the warranty on it if needed. Thoughts?
I suppose that's their option and right... you don't agree.. then that's your choice.. Why not use an authorized contractor? That would seem to be a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may do that but waiting for an estimate from someone who may be mucher lower in price but not authorized.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
tomfelock said:
I don't think they are right and I don't think it is legal. There are laws against extortion of this kind. Most of the employees have little or no knowledge of the product they sell. They're the Walmart of building suppliers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts