Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls.

This is a link to Youtube: Burgman6487's Video, to which no-one had an answer. Only 29 seconds long.

http://youtu.be/RhkaNBNc9wE

This is what I am hearing from my old timer now. There's at least one other having the same challenge.
Does anyone know if I should stay close to home, carry a cell phone and my CAA card?
I've changed out the Stopper bolt and put in the new updated silver one. It has shown signs of wear in perhaps a couple of hundred miles but fits into the groove which I can see through the hole. The old one was normal as in most of the pictures on the site.
I ride with ear plugs always and had not heard it ever, until my brother brought it to my attention. Naturally it's cause for concern.

The scoot performs as all others. Clutch engages properly. No slip. Right RPM's.
It shifts smoothly and there's no change in low or high speed cruising RPM's either.

It's just this squealing noise I hear. It isn't audible whilst underway, only during idle. The diesel noise is unchanged as well.

I have been all over this forum looking for clues and answers. As far as I can make out this has not been addressed directly which is why I'm posting here. Look forward to any replies. Perhaps it's only Chatty Cathy having the final word.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Sounds like a bearing to me. Maybe the bearing on the CVT primary pulley adapter shaft.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
sounds like the early stages of the primary pulley bearing failure...

you may want to stop riding the scoot and take the cvt out for inspection.. hopefully you caught it early and the primary pulley hasn't suffered the dreaded shaft step wear:

my std 04 would make a similar sound on and off for about a year prior to losing all traction with the belt snapping due to the worn out primary pulley shaft.

good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
If a new stopper bolt is showing damage in a few hundred miles, you definitely have a problem inside the CVT. My friends o6 was making strange noises up to about 30 MPH when in auto but decreased noise in manual mode. His stopper bolt was getting damaged in less than 200 miles. Found the problem to be a broken O ring in the outer case that allowed the primary assembly to move laterally. It required a new outer case and primary assembly plus bearings, seals, etc. Total parts cost was $1156 which did not include a new belt. I would not continue to ride until problem is resolved as you may not have major damage yet.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Sounds just like my '03 did, bad bearing/o-ring/primary assembly in the CVT. I rode mine until it stripped the splines off the primary. Either way your still looking at parts cost like Ken stated above plus labor to fix it sorry to say.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a BIG thank's to you all.
I was pondering that it just might be minor but.....looks like a nuclear event is around the corner somewhere.
Currently don't have a place to strip it down nor the the inclination. CVT's are expensive delicacies should something go awry which it seems it has in my case.
She's done me proud so I've naught to complain of.
It's preferable to know than to wonder.

An '04 with 28K miles and a major repair in the future is really only a parts bike if you have the space to keep it covered.
I still think the Burger is the finest all round ride I've had and really don't want anything else.

Which year Exec low miles is a good bet to begin searching for, without the diesel option?

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Well, 2008 and above if it were my 1st choice. 2005 and up 2nd. What year did the Exec start in Canada?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
not to question your judgement, but you could just have a bad bearing that needs replacing.

I you have any down time during the Fall / Winter months and are a DIYer, it may be worth taking the time
to take the CVT out and checking the internal components. hopefully your belt and primary pulley will be
in good shape.

if the cost of repairs exceed what seems like a good investment, you can just put all the parts up for sale
as you will literally have the scoot in pieces.

all the best...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
First of all I would try to locate exactly where the sound is coming from and I would check around the transmission cover whilst it is running using a long screwdriver as a sounder - it could be an errant gear in there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Squealing noise is CVT side using sounding rod. Doomed. Guess it's melted O ring.
As mentioned before...no place to strip it down.
Will get something next year.
Again thanks for your help guys.
Now there's a record of this for others to compare this particular noise, should they hear it up close.
650 has so many uniquely distinct sounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts