Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As others have said before me, that first oil change showed a lot of aluminum specks in the filter (I didn't try to strain the oil to see, but there must be a bunch floating that the filter hasn't got yet). I put the filter in a jar of kerosene and sloshed it around, then strained the kero thru a paper towel, resulting in lots of alum specks clearly visible to the eye. Just think of the micro stuff the filter is not getting!! This was done at 500 miles. Wish I had done it sooner.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Yup, it is impressive, I did mine @ 120, then 500 thinking about 3,000 (on my 650) instead of waiting untill 3,500. I traded my 400 @ 3,000 so I don't know how many shavings were in it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Flakes in the oil are probably there because they are heavier than the oil pump can draw up. I wouldn't be too concerned since these flakes probably are located in part of the engine where they could do no harm. Remember the 400 is a roller bearing engine...this means robust and strong bottom end. Big bearings on the crankshaft and needle bearing on top of the wrist pins are there because this engine has a low pressure oil system. Plain bearing engines need very, very clean oil. Not so much of a concern for this scooter and I bet Suzuki designed it so because they wanted a very durable engine. Timothy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts