Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need some help ,

I have seen some threads on here that says Burgman

May have a life span as low as 50 k .

With cvt failures and other issuses.

If that a fact I will be changing my mind yet again and not

Spending around 9 k for a new Bike that has a 50 k trash on it.

And yes if I do buy one It will be beyond cared for by the book .

So my biggest question as I will be rideing this bike year long

and 50 k is not a lot of miles for me .

Fact or myth on the 50 k from those that know

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
First off, we're talking miles, not kilometers.

Have there been cvt failures around 50k, yes. But there are many, many more that have gone well beyond that amount. 75k-100k is probably the more likely number for a cvt belt failure. And the newer belts seem to last longer. Replacing the belt is an expensive proposition for the non-mechanically inclined.

But I look at it this way. Most bikes rarely see 50k miles due to drops, accidents or Whathaveyou. Used burgmans are fairly cheap. Buy a nice late model, low milage bike for 3-4k USD, and ride her till she dies. After five or six years, the price is well worth it as the burgman 650 is a very low maintenance bike.

I got mine for $3300 with only 3500 on the clock.if I get 75k miles, I will have gotten my money's worth.

Don't know what you kind of mileage you're riding, but nothing is going to equal what your Goldwing can do, total mileage wise. But at $25k new, even $18k used, what do they cost per mile? When you factor in the low used price, the Burgman 650 is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think with basic care you can expect it at a minimum to last 50k miles. If you really take good care of it the skies the limit on the number of miles you'll get out of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Have there been cvt failures around 50k, yes. But there are many, many more that have gone well beyond that amount. 75k-100k is probably the more likely number. And the newer belts seem to last longer. Replacing the belt is an expensive proposition for the non-mechanically inclined.

But I look at it this way. Most bikes rarely see 50k miles due to drops, accidents or Whathaveyou. Used burgmans are fairly cheap. Buy a nice late model, low milage bike for 3-4k USD, and ride her till she dies. After five or six years, the price is well worth it as the burgman 650 is a very low maintenance bike.

I got mine for $3300 with only 3500 on the clock.if I get 75k miles, I will have gotten my money's worth.

Don't know what you kind of mileage you're riding, but nothing is going to equal what your Goldwing can do.
Thanks for help and putting mind at ease .

Yes Wings can go 250 300 k or more one in local club at 500 k .

42 K on mine low miles for 06 Florida bike .

I have to down size due to hip problems.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
42 K on mine low miles for 06 Florida bike .

I have to down size due to hip problems.
If all you've put on is 42k on an eight year old bike, then fear not. Buy a used burgman with under 10k on the clock, and you've got 10 years of blissful riding before you have to worry about a cvt belt failure.

Good luck. Hope this helps ease your mind.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The CVT is a risk but aside from tires the things are bulletproof.
80k km on the two I've had ( sold one and it's still going strong ) total "repairs" a battery on each ( both due ) and just now brake pads

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have always thought of the 650 as a throw away scoot, especially if you are not a DIYer, as the cost of the repairs often exceed the book value of the scoot.

With that said, it is hard to predict how long you will enjoy your 650 without any mechanical issues, it varies from scoot to scoot and model year to model year.

The most common issues are broken CVT belts or a CVT component failure, like a primary pulley bearing, primary pulley itself etc....

Average price for repair parts can be anything from $400 to $1200 depending on what has failed.

For non DIYer, the labor cost is what puts the repair bill into the stratosphere, as it can be 2 to 3 times the value of the repair parts.

Enjoy the 650 while it is running the way it should, don't waste too much time worrying about it failing, and take care of it by doing all the required maintenance.

Like any other ride, parts will wear out and eventually require replacing, no way to predict when it will happen.

The 03/04 models are a lot more prone to suffering a CVT component failure due to the crappy primary pulley bearing that Suzuki used.

The new 05+ models can suffer a CVT belt breakage which I think is an acceptable repair, especially on higher mileage 650s.

You will have to do your due diligence and weight the pros and cons of owning a 650.

I personally love mine and it has been by far the worst ride I have ever owned in so far as how many things have failed on it during the past 60k miles. I will probably replace my std 04 with another second hand 05+ model once it wears out on me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow... Considering it's soon to be 2015, LeDude, I'd "upgrade" to at least a 2010 after the '04 goes to that big trailer in the sky. ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

Have there been cvt failures around 50k, yes. But there are many, many more that have gone well beyond that amount. 75k-100k is probably the more likely number for a cvt belt failure. And the newer belts seem to last longer. Replacing the belt is an expensive proposition for the non-mechanically inclined.

Don't know what you kind of mileage you're riding, but nothing is going to equal what your Goldwing can do, total mileage wise. But at $25k new, even $18k used, what do they cost per mile? When you factor in the low used price, the Burgman 650 is a pretty good deal.

I'm with Liamjs on this , these 05 06 07ish 650's can be had with very low miles and IMO dirt cheap relative to the really great bike you are getting .
Yeah ! a CVT can go any where from as low as 25,000 (very few go that early) to 50 or 60k on the clock . IMO the dirt cheap price of these reflects the risk , this is one **** of a bike for 3 to $4K . WTF you can buy 3 of these for what a new decent new bike would cost you today . Plus even if it does blow up early , it won't be a total loss . They can be sold as parts bikes very easily ,and if you have pristine plastics you can get a pretty decent price for one . Other than the CVT these 650's are pretty much maintenance free for the most part . Lots of owners have put 30 to 40,000 miles on one with zero repairs , oil and tires and a battery and that's it .
It could turn out to be the best $3,000 you ever spent on 2 wheels , it was for me .

REALLY !

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts
About 62,000 miles on mine and I will ride it till it stops or I stop. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well said, gentlemen, though that won't be the end of it. All vehicles have an unknown point-of-no-repair, regardless of their design.

Coming up on 28000 miles on a 2003 (gasp!) 650. Don't care what the innards MIGHT do. CVT, spline adapters, doodly doodlies, whatever. Even if it explodes into a flaming wreck, I'll just dust myself off and go buy another one. It doesn't hurt to ride distance, handles lousy traffic, goes grocery shopping and REEL RYDERS look down on it. This keeps them cheap!

Let's hear it guys: BURG-MAN, BURG-MAN, BURG-MAN!:cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think he said it. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. As I have said, a friend bought a new 2006 and in 20,000 miles +/- the CVT went out and shop bill was $4000 +. It was sold and not ridden much for 2 years and I bought it (I thought cheap) and thinking it was ok and after less than 3,000 miles the CVT has gone again. Something not kosher and it would cost $1200 plus parts to repair at shop and who knows what that would turn into.

My thoughts are, unless you are a mechanic, buy old ones for almost nothing or buy one still in warranty and never let it out of warranty.

I have always thought of the 650 as a throw away scoot, especially if you are not a DIYer, as the cost of the repairs often exceed the book value of the scoot.

With that said, it is hard to predict how long you will enjoy your 650 without any mechanical issues, it varies from scoot to scoot and model year to model year.

The most common issues are broken CVT belts or a CVT component failure, like a primary pulley bearing, primary pulley itself etc....

Average price for repair parts can be anything from $400 to $1200 depending on what has failed.

For non DIYer, the labor cost is what puts the repair bill into the stratosphere, as it can be 2 to 3 times the value of the repair parts.

Enjoy the 650 while it is running the way it should, don't waste too much time worrying about it failing, and take care of it by doing all the required maintenance.

Like any other ride, parts will wear out and eventually require replacing, no way to predict when it will happen.

The 03/04 models are a lot more prone to suffering a CVT component failure due to the crappy primary pulley bearing that Suzuki used.

The new 05+ models can suffer a CVT belt breakage which I think is an acceptable repair, especially on higher mileage 650s.

You will have to do your due diligence and weight the pros and cons of owning a 650.

I personally love mine and it has been by far the worst ride I have ever owned in so far as how many things have failed on it during the past 60k miles. I will probably replace my std 04 with another second hand 05+ model once it wears out on me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is no sign yet that it was a rodent motel and because it made it 2500+ miles after I bought and started riding it that that had anything to do with its demise. When changing out all the fluids beforehand there was no sign of any rodent entry....but wont know for certain until it is torn down, if that ever happens.

The first collapse was certainly Suzuki's fault as the original owner started having a bearing sound about 7000 miles and Suzuki dealer couldn't find any problem. When it went down at 20,000 it was out of warranty and he didn't make a serious issue of it, as I would have.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I put over 26000 miles on an 05. Over 11000 miles on an 11, and have over 7000 miles on my 13. Through all of that, not one of them has ever let me down. Normal maintenance and tires and a battery replacement on the 05 are all I've had to spend on them. Just like any other product or machine, some will be great and some will have problems. I guess I've been lucky. I would recommend a 650 to anyone.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I put over 26000 miles on an 05. Over 11000 miles on an 11, and have over 7000 miles on my 13. Through all of that, not one of them has ever let me down. I guess I've been lucky.
I hope that you were just not lucky! After all, that's only 44,000 miles total and any modern machine should be able to easily top 100,000 miles before anything serious might happen to it.

My almost 20 year old PC800 has never been in the shop for repairs until last year when I got a pesky but small oil leak fixed. It did not hurt the way the bike ran of course, but got tired of it spotting my driveway. Anyway, nothing but normal wear and tear items for 92,000 miles now.

If my CVT or any part of it goes out I might just bite the bullet and have it fixed if I cannot do the job myself. After all, I love the bike and want to keep riding it. If I make it 70-80 thou before something needs fixing I think I would just fix it and keep on truckin'. Having to go without my beloved Burgman now is borderline unthinkable to me now that I have had one for well over a year and have been thoroughly and completely spoiled by it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems to be no rhyme or reason for the failure. A friend of my friend bought an '06 same time he did, rode it very hard, and had no problems. He was always covered with extended warranty, which he didn't use, while my friend didn't get extended and ended up $4000+ poorer because of it.

I put over 26000 miles on an 05. Over 11000 miles on an 11, and have over 7000 miles on my 13. Through all of that, not one of them has ever let me down. Normal maintenance and tires and a battery replacement on the 05 are all I've had to spend on them. Just like any other product or machine, some will be great and some will have problems. I guess I've been lucky. I would recommend a 650 to anyone.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well said, gentlemen, though that won't be the end of it. All vehicles have an unknown point-of-no-repair, regardless of their design.

Coming up on 28000 miles on a 2003 (gasp!) 650. Don't care what the innards MIGHT do. CVT, spline adapters, doodly doodlies, whatever. Even if it explodes into a flaming wreck, I'll just dust myself off and go buy another one. It doesn't hurt to ride distance, handles lousy traffic, goes grocery shopping and REEL RYDERS look down on it. This keeps them cheap!

Let's hear it guys: BURG-MAN, BURG-MAN, BURG-MAN!:cool:
LOL, what a great post! :D

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I put 82,000 on my 07 650 before I had to do anything to it other than normal scheduled maintenance. At that point the CVT belt broke. I did the replace myself and it cost me about $350 in parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put 82,000 on my 07 650 before I had to do anything to it other than normal scheduled maintenance. At that point the CVT belt broke. I did the replace myself and it cost me about $350 in parts.
Thanks soooooooooooooo much to all .

Felling a lot better again about 650.

I will be ride burgman daily win Goldwing sells .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts