Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the major improvements or 'likes' on the 650 vs my 400?
It's that time of the year in the Midwest and if thought about trading up.
I don't ride any freeway, or very little. I love my 400 but would love a better ride! That's my major gripe, then maybe the 'judder" when starting off, but thanks to a thread on here, I know how to, and did take care of it, for now....
We ride 2-up, and I'm ok with the power, so as you can see, I like it, but if a 650 RIDES better and does a few other things better, I would consider it.
Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The 650's ride is nothing to write home about.

The suspension travel is much to short, if it had the travel of a normal motorcycle, you'd have to use a ladder to climb aboard.

I sure hope a 400 is not much worse.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I kind of agree with EricDK. The ride on the 650 is a little bit better but not really enough to warrant switching bikes just for that reason. Biggest difference is a reduction in vibration.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The ride quality on the 650 is marginally better; probably due to the 1 inch larger wheels and bigger tires - but it is still annoying on bad pavement. The 650 is the better bike if you do the type of riding that exploits its' advantages - long distance/multi-day touring, high-speed cruising, lots of hills/mountains.

I think you're currently on the right bike. (It would be nice if you could test ride a 650, though).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I replaced my 08 400 with a 09 650 after the 400 was totaled by a 83 year old man that didn't get stopped after I stopped.

If you don't do much interstate riding, the only advantage I see with the 650 is the smooth clutch and the twin cylinder engine is smoother. It is and feels heavier and I lost about 15 MPG with the 650. I also don't like paying twice as much for tires that are much harder to change than the tires on a 400 (if you change them yourself). However, the rear wheel is easier to remove on the 650. If I had a good 400 that is running good, I wouldn't change.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If RIDE is your major concern, save your money; they ride about the same and I actually prefer the 400 a tad more due to its lower height.

But power and maintenance are a different matter. If you do a lot of two-up riding, the 650 is much better at it. It does not stress the bike out at all. Maintenance is a bit less due to tranny differences. But fuel and insurance is higher.

But where the 650 shines is on the highway. So if you don't ride any, it would be a toss up.

If you're just looking for something different, its a great bike. But I do love my 400. I ride both very week. If you can swing both, great. Otherwise just keep the 400.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
A couple of more differences are with the Exc 650 you get abs, power windshield & mirrors. 650 in wind I found much better. I lost 12 mpg going from my 400 to 650. Switched to CT on the rear & love it. 650 has WAY more power. I never rode a 650 before selling my 400 after 46k+ miles. For me I'll take a 650 over a 400.
I'm no spring chicken but don't find the extra weight over a 400 a problem. ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It does have more power, but hardly WAY more. So does the V-Strom 1000. The Hayabusa may have WAY more indeed.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Mike - maybe it's because I'm a Californian, but every time I see your location, I read it as Surfing, WI.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Jeff, I think he would have just as hard a time surfing as this Mike would out here in the desert. :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
For everyday riding one up, the 400 does most everything a 650 can do. the 650 is just smoother, a little faster and a few better creature comforts. The transmission and electronic clutch on the 650 are elegant and work extremely well. The twin is smoother and more powerful. I have both and love them both, but the 650 is much faster, much more of a motorcycle and has better creature comforts. The 400 gets better mileage and is a lot cheaper to buy, so it is a trade off based on your needs!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
650 v 400

The 400 is also cheaper to maintain. Tires, plugs, oil, are half the 650. Just a thought. The 650 is a fuller bike, the 400 is a rocket. Both are great scooters. I've had both of them twice now and appreciate both bikes for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If I hadn't been looking for a scooter that could carry my wife and I in comfort down the interstate I would have bought the Burgman 400. Due to our needs, the Burgman 650 was the bike we needed and purchased. I am very happy with my Burgman.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both types, a Burgman 650 and a Majesty 400.

I found that the 650 fit me a lot better. Realized this in the showroom just sitting on it. I take the 650 whenever I am going cruising, as the increased comfort is worth it.

But I take the lighter, nimbler 400 when I am going on a short trip (commuting), as it is far easier to handle in the city.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have both types, a Burgman 650 and a Majesty 400.

I found that the 650 fit me a lot better. Realized this in the showroom just sitting on it. I take the 650 whenever I am going cruising, as the increased comfort is worth it.

But I take the lighter, nimbler 400 when I am going on a short trip (commuting), as it is far easier to handle in the city.
+1. I commute to work on the 400. It's just easier to get around on in tight traffic. But the 650 does the long weekend rides.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For everyday riding one up, the 400 does most everything a 650 can do. the 650 is just smoother, a little faster and a few better creature comforts. The transmission and electronic clutch on the 650 are elegant and work extremely well. The twin is smoother and more powerful. I have both and love them both, but the 650 is much faster, much more of a motorcycle and has better creature comforts. The 400 gets better mileage and is a lot cheaper to buy, so it is a trade off based on your needs!
+1 ...

If you carry passenger much better off with 650.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The transmission and electronic clutch on the 650 are elegant and work extremely well.
The clutch on the 650 is not electronic, but centrifugal. It is, however, a multi-plate wet clutch which can be much smoother, quieter, and more durable than the dry clutch used on most scooters (the Piaggio BV350 is the only other currently produced scooter with one).

The transmission, however, is electronically controlled. Functionally, it's a CVT like normal scooters have, with a servo motor instead of centrifugal roller weights controlling the front pulley width/diameter. This electronic control allows for both setting the pulley at any of six specific positions (which is Manual Mode), and re-mapping transmission response for better acceleration (Power Mode). This latter function is like swapping in lighter roller weights on an ordinary scooter -- but can be done on the fly with the press of a button on the 650.

Also, unlike ordinary scooters, the CVT belt doesn't double as the means to transfer power down the swingarm to the wheel. The transmission (and engine) are solidly mounted to the frame, and power is transmitted down the swingarm with a daisy-chain of gears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts