Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:scared

When I went outside yesterday morning to give the cycles their period workover/sanity check, I pulled off the cover on my burgman to find that the windshield had huge cracks, breaking it up almost into 5 pieces. Now this is a Clearview 4mm thick aircraft grade acrylic windshield that had a small subsurface crack near one of the mounting bolts for years without any issue. Not a good way to start the day. Geeze.

So my dilemma is what to replace it with. I don't like OEM. Should I go back to Clearview, or switch to Parabellum or Givi? Or is there another option?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
It's six of one half dozen of another. I don't have any experience with Parabellum windshields but I have seen both Clearview and Givi windshields crack. It would not surprise me that given enough riding time a Parabellum would crack to. The mount on the bike just not have enough support for these large windshields.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can ask..but not sure if they would..the windshield is at least 47K miles and 8 years old at least..and it did have a crack in it..but I shall see. Now to dig the pieces out of the garbage in case they want them. Good advice..never thought of it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had all three brands plus two others on various motorcycles and I prefer the Clearview over all of them. It is more stable because it is thicker and the initial cracking was probably due to the installation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the clearview website and their warranty is only for 6 months after purchase...I kinda missed that by a little bit....LOL.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just a thought, I put the laminar lip that LeDude shows on his site on my stock oem windshield and have been very pleased with the results. Seems to work better than the GIVI as far as wind reduction around the helmet. Obviously not the same hand protection as the oem windshield doesn't have the hand extensions, but hey that's what gloves are for!

Greg

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've had all three brands plus two others on various motorcycles and I prefer the Clearview over all of them. It is more stable because it is thicker and the initial cracking was probably due to the installation.
ditto
and tolerance is tight on the initial install

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clearview warns their customers not to over tighten the screws holding the windshield to the mounting bracket. Like most guys, I like to tighten screws to the max so they won't get loose. You must resist this compulsion; however, when installing a new Clearview windshield. Over tightening the screws will prevent the windshield from properly flexing while driving at speed. It will also keep the windshield from being able to contract and expand during significant changes in temperature. Often, something has to give, and this may lead to a broken windshield.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Again, I posted a fix for any windshield maker has to do is make an aluminum or stainless steel sub-mask that fits under the shield and extends the support under up 1 1/2 inch farther than the top bolt. Then make a top mask that covers it up out of some shiney stainless steel.

Sorta like this: Electra Glide.jpg

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dave J
you know, that isn’t hard to do at all. I might look into that. do you thing the 400 needs something like that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts