Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had suggested a set of chaps to my wife as a potential xmas gift, and after the guy at the local honda store that apparently scooter riders dont wear chaps (topic for another day...) she got me a firstgear thermal riding suit...im more a black leather and jeans sort but i took it out for a drive yesterday to see how it did...38 degrees on the thermostat and i was comfortable for a 20 minute or so drive at around 45 mph in sneakers, jeans and a tshirt under the thing. sold! (i had been considering trading the suit for chaps or heated handgrips...)

well this morning i wore the suit to ride to work...40 minutes, 19 degrees when i left and most of the ride at around 70 mph. wow! i had no idea how cold i was before i got this thing! the only problem now is im having an even harder time focusing on work as i jsut want to jump back on the bike! (as evidenced by the fact that i am clearly not getting much done right now)

in conclusion i might be riding around looking like a big dork, but im a big warm happy dork if so!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got the First Gear Katmandu Jacket and riding pants, never rode in the cold weather without it. I pretty much snicker inside my helmet every time I see those Harley riders with their so called warn gear on. Since I ride both on and off road dual sports bikes, plus the 650 Burgman the heavy duty Katmandu stuff works for both warmth and protective gear to. I think you will be happier with the First Gear stuff in the long run. I'm wearing this jacket and matching pants,
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41240/i/firstgear-kathmandu-jacket
John

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good to see others ride in cold weather too. Seems people like to make smart aleck remarks when they see me until I show them my electric gloves, jacket, pants, & socks then they comment something like, "wow that is neat. I didn't know that there was anything like that." I even had one fellow I knew laugh how stupid I was until I told him that when it got too cold and I was smart enough to quit that is when he got even dumber... he was into snowmobiling. When he thot of it his face turned red and he admitted, "You're right, I never thot of that."

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
People's vanity often keep them from very smart ideas, like riding a scooter, or in your case, wearing a full riding suit. Your wife is a smart woman. Keep the suit and enjoy it. Its a lot better protection than chaps and jeans. And honestly, you look like a smart rider with the correct gear.

To all those that scoff at our riding gear and scooter... Be damned the vain and what they think is cool.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good to hear about wives being interested in riding too! Mine use to ride with me but that was years ago.Happy New Year! Mark

·
Registered
230 Posts
After my first marriage I sware I would never be with a woman who did not like bikes and after many tries :) I found one who rides. She rides what ever is in the garage at the time ,,,Ducati,,,burgman ,,,bmw,,,and now a Suzuki boulevard cruiser,.I do have one gripe she has an un Caney knack to pick the bike I always wont to ride

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've gotta agree - your wife rules!

I love Firstgear stuff. I've got a Kilimanjaro Air jacket and it's served me well for years. Freezing cold or blazing hot, that thing has adjustments which keep me comfortable in all weather.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The only problem with heated gear

is you feel like a dummy for having waited before getting them.
I had three years of cold riding before getting mine.
I easily extend my riding now by 3 months total.
Simba

1 - 10 of 10 Posts