Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I saw something very disturbing. I was about to come out of my subdivision onto a road that has 5 lanes and a cement median. An ambulance was coming my way from my left. It was about a block away, just at an intersection. Almost everyone had moved out of its way, except for a big 4x4 pickup truck. Instead of moving over, the driver turned left, went into the oncoming traffic lane, and drove an entire city block against oncoming traffic, just to turn into a bicycle repair shop on the other side, which is normally accessed by way of the turn lane a block up the street! In short, picking up his bicycle was more important than anyone's safety, and those coming toward him were forced to move aside. At what point did I miss out on that change in the law?! Am I going to have to worry about bicycle pick up being more important than my safety or that of an ambulance? Is the sidewalk going to be the next 'no man's land'?! Will it be open season on pedestrians?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, a friend of mine just explained it to me. You see, here in Georgia the good old Carpet Baggers are still around and doing well. They make the laws, and if they are attorneys they can break them. There is really only one rule they can not break. That is, if the judge says he will see them on the green after court, they had better be there. Nothing and no one else matters. So the lesson is, get out of the way down here because you never know if there will be an attorney driving wildly down the road, trying to get things done before he goes to play golf! Isn't that a comforting thought!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should ride in Houston! With over 4 mil in the metro area there are some CRAZY drivers here! And no, many could care less!
Be careful!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
When coming home from work, the road I travel is an 8 lane road. This road is divided with a median. On the right is a car dealership, but their entrance is about 75-100 feet after the turn lanes. I actually use those turn lanes to make a left into my neighborhood. What happens time and time again, is the traffic that wants to turn left into this dealership, get into the opposite turn lanes, and then drive into oncoming traffic, usually the turn lane I'm in to make a left, in order to make their left into that dealership. Rather than going next left down and making a u-turn. They put up a "Do Not Enter" sign facing that way, and cops have even stood guard there, but it still happens daily.

So everytime I want to make a left, I have to make sure that someone in the oncoming lanes isn't going to come into my lane head on to make their left.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
That is crazy! So I guess the people buying the cars from that dealership don't know how to drive, or else they can't read English.....maybe all signs should be in 50 different languages, instead of the NATIVE language of the USA. Would that excuse their driving like dipshifts??!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When coming home from work, the road I travel is an 8 lane road. This road is divided with a median. On the right is a car dealership, but their entrance is about 75-100 feet after the turn lanes. I actually use those turn lanes to make a left into my neighborhood. What happens time and time again, is the traffic that wants to turn left into this dealership, get into the opposite turn lanes, and then drive into oncoming traffic, usually the turn lane I'm in to make a left, in order to make their left into that dealership. Rather than going next left down and making a u-turn. They put up a "Do Not Enter" sign facing that way, and cops have even stood guard there, but it still happens daily.

So everytime I want to make a left, I have to make sure that someone in the oncoming lanes isn't going to come into my lane head on to make their left.
I don't know how you ride in Tidewater. My daughter lives in Norfolk and the roads in the area are full of potholes, concrete cracks and they are narrow. On top of that, I end up sitting to get through the tunnels. They're always backed up. The young military guys flying around on crotch rockets scare me. I don't envy your riding situation.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
.....maybe all signs should be in 50 different languages, instead of the NATIVE language of the USA!
Can you tell me which of the indigenous American tribes the USA language is native to? I'm guessing it must be Navajo, or Cherokee, given that they are the most populous native peoples. ;)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I prefer Ojibwe and my wife Cherokee as those are our peoples native languages. We are only registered with the Cherokee nation though.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I don't know how you ride in Tidewater. My daughter lives in Norfolk and the roads in the area are full of potholes, concrete cracks and they are narrow. On top of that, I end up sitting to get through the tunnels. They're always backed up. The young military guys flying around on crotch rockets scare me. I don't envy your riding situation.
Those rode conditions are primarily isolated to the city of Norfolk, especially down town, most of the surrounding cities aren't all that bad. Norfolk's narrow streets come from earlier times, and they just refuse to widen them. Surrounding cities have caught on to modern times and have bought land to widen the roads to make them safer and easier to travel on. Interstates on the other hand, have to watch for the freaking asphalt speed bumps they call expansion joints between the concrete sections. Some of them will literally make you go airborne if you don't hit them just right. And yea, tunnels... luckily they are not part of my daily commute, so I'm rarely effected by them. When I do travel through them, its usually in off-peak hours so smooth sailing through them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
New York City can be quite entertaining, you cant go 1 or 2 blocks without seeing someone break one law or an other. Those Yellow cabs are really something special, they will do just about do anything to get to their fare.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'll take my small town thank you. Traffic is slooow, and that's fine with us, not like we have one of those fancy big city stop and go lights in our town, lol.
There is a county to the north of me, Florence County, that was the only COUNTY in Wi to not have a single traffic light in it, the whole county! Awesome! I think in the last few years that may have changed though? These are the places I ride, love it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts