Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No worries though as I was already stopped.

When I come home I pull in to the yard and do a U-turn in order to be facing out toward the driveway. I park at the head of the gravel driveway where the area is covered in grass that grows over a layer of gravel.

So, the other day I pulled in to the yard under a all-day rain event. I slowed down, pulled my feet off of the floorboards and conducted my U-turn, as usual. I came to a stop and proceeded to back the bike up so that it would be in position for the next day.

Well, as my shoes hit the wet grass and gravel, they slipped causing me to not have any balance or stability. Over the bike went. Just before it landed, I gained my grip on both the bike and the ground. But, as I was already at or past the 45 degree angle of lean, I could not hold the bike up, so I just let it keep falling over. But, I held onto the bike and just let it slowly touch down.

And thanks to this forum and to all of you. I knew what to do.

I immediately stepped through the bike, turned my back to the bike, relocated my hands to where one was on the handlebar brake and the other on the passenger grip. I lowered down to where my but was on the seat and pushed up with my legs. And BAMMO up it came and pretty as you please. Easier than I thought. Keep in mind. I am a weakling and I recently had back surgery.

Then, as I stood next to the bike, I put my butt up against my buttrest and walked backwards that way. It was so much easier than trying to duck walk the bike backwards. It felt 200 pounds lighter. Probably because I was walking flat footed and pushing against the bike as opposed to sitting on the bike and pushing with my toes.

So, yes, the bike weights nearly 120 tons, there is an established procedure that makes the bike feel like it isn't over a few hundred pounds. (that is weight, not the money :D )

Thanks again for the forum and the sharing of advice.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Picking up a downed bike is just one of may reasons forums like this are so great. Glad to hear you had a chance to think, let alone hold on. I had a bike go down like that so fast it made a eye blink look slow ! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts