Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a trip from OH to AL last week, went through the cold front :( Thursday, toward the end of the day the speedometer quit. Then would work. Then quit. Then showed some fraction of the correct speed. Etc. All afternoon and the next morning.
I was thinking that water went into the sensor plug at the CVT case, then dried out as I hit the sunny south :)

Any ideas?

Getting ready to do major service. Thought of wiggling the lead wires to the speed sensor, while someone else sits on the bike and revs it, to see if speedo cuts out again.

On the 1200 mile trip (based on map mileages) I lost about 76 miles somewhere. :( This will totally screw up my MPG spreadsheet too.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Try seeing if the connector is fully plugged in. It may be just sitting there making a connection some times, and not at other times.

The wires to the connector can sometimes get positioned wrong as they fit under the outer CVT cover. Maybe the wire insulation has rubbed through and they are shorting?

Chris

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
couldn't duplicate the problem- with bike running on the CS, brother in law wiggled the wire and sensor plug... Must have been rain water in the connection that later dried. :|
A cheap fix = $0.00, the best kind :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: my speedometer has gone wonky! UPDATE

It was a bad SPEED SENSOR. A whopping $82 from Cheap Cycle parts.com
The part about which the local dealer said, "We have never seen a bad speed sensor".....
All is well except that the lost 405 miles (estimated) throws off my MPG spreadsheet :( but I will fudge it.
Ahhhh all is well again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts