Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

"MY" Side Stand Down Starting to Parking Brake Mod !!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zrx212 
#1 · (Edited)
Have searched the forums and could not find a safe/simple mod, that allows you to start/run scooter while sidestand is down while Parking Brake(P/B) is on, most I found involved relays, fuses, etc., etc. :( not really difficult for one with wiring skills, but to over-engineered IMO.

BTW, Before we start the "Guilt/Safety trip, you are disabling a safety feature" "
"This is a general how I did it posting, not instructions, those with mechanical/electrical skills may replicate it easily"
" IAC Do this at your own risk, etc."

My idea was to keep it simple by installing a stand alone switch to provide a ground signal to side stand relay when P/B is set thru a new wire, this separate wire incorporates a diode to prevent reverse current flow JIC, is a simple circuit with no relays or power requirements, nothing to short, etc. Also had to make a flexible mount to allow for P/B lever overtravel when brake is set and released, also to compensate/flex to allow for brake pad wear, etc. After several tries was able to bend a single piece of piano wire into a "U" shape to go thru switch mount holes and bend two dog-legs with bolt hooks to mount to existing hardware, rigid enough to hold switch and flexes. Switch is bonded to wire bracket with HD CA/super glue.

I thinks is perfectly safe and had done similar mod on all scooters I owned.
1. With parking brake set scooter is fairly inmovilized, I have tried taking off with it set, is a not a easy go .
2. IAC, You still will have pull the brake lever fairly firmly to engage starter, the bike won't move at all.
3. If you release PB with stand down, scooter dies, goes back to normal/oem operation.

Main materials,16/18 guage wire, 1N4001 Diode, Mini lever switch, etc.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
My 2016 Honda PCX came with the bike starting with the side stand down but I don't know how the previous owner accomplished it.
Bad sidestand switch or P/O disabled it, IAC is aiways a good practice to use the parking brake on a scooter.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Wife's 125 Buddy has no such gizmo. It runs while SS is down. She accidentally hit the throttle and the thing lunged forward into the tractor 🙁 Hmmm.....
I've owned a few Linhai Aeolus 300 scooters, in general a good scooters (y), but do not have a parking brake (n)
I wrapped a canopy "Ball Bungee Cord" around rear brake lever fo DIY parking brake, stored by wrapping around brake reservoir, bright colors work best for the absent minded :confused:

Technology Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Good idea. Velcro strap would also work. Will do this on my SYM that doesn't have one.
[/
My reasoning with using the elastic bungee is that it will maintain a constant pressure on lever and compensate for any loss of fluid around the seals, wich is normal. The reason why parking brakes are mechanical. In any case,strapping brake lever is only safe for temporary use, not overnight parking on a hill, etc. :cautious:

Reactions: G-Dub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.