Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to posts by many of you on this forum I decided to purchase a Burgman 400 or 650. I haven't ridden in 30 years due to back issues. But, the Burgman seemed like a great opportunity to be comfortable with my legs up and not have to shift. I've been wanting to ride something comfortable for enjoyment on the weekends mostly. I spent a few hours online and decided it was a Burgman 400, 650 or BMW CT650GT. Most of you seem to like the 400 so I was leaning in that direction as this will be an around town bike and short highway trips (20 miles or less).

I picked up my new 2012 Burgman 400 ABS from the dealer today. I originally went to buy a 2013 Burgman 400 but there was a brand new 2012 sitting right next to it. The dealer had agreed to $7,000 out the door (taxes, tag, title, fees and a new helmet) for the 2013 model. I was able to negotiate the price to $6400 (out the door again) for the new 2012 400.
Although I would have liked to pay $6,000 for the 2012 the dealer wouldn't budge so I took the deal. (In my state taxes are 6.5%plus title, tag, etc.)

I live near Destination Daytona (one of the largest Harley dealerships in Florida) but the dealer was located in Deland about 38 miles from my home.
My wife went with me and the entire process took about 2.5 hours (I test drove the burgman and looked at the 650 vs the 400) plus I took 20 minutes to pick a helmet out. The dealer was friendly and the purchase experience was quite easy.

I rode my Burgman 400 back to my home using back roads so it was a 52 mile trip. My wife followed behind me in our SUV. From what I could tell the Burgman speedo was off about 5-7 mph depending on my speed. The 400 hit 75-80 mph pretty comfortably but 85 mph seemed like its top speed. I most went 60-75 mph as the speed limit was 45-60 on those roads. Of course, there were Harley Davidsons everywhere and the Burg 400 kept up nicely. That said, these guys rode Harleys without windshields or helmets and once they realized I was on a Burgman they sped past me about 95 mph; I could not keep up with them (nor did I try).

Now, for my evaluation of the Burgman 400: I like the bike. The windshield sucks at over 50 mph and the dealer let me test ride a used 400 with a 2 piece Givi windshield. That windshield make the 400 a much nicer scooter.
The stock windshield isn't very good and flexes like mad at 75 mph. Plus, it isn't easy to see through the stock windshield vs the Givi.

My 2012 Burgman 400 seemed to be off center by about 5 degrees. When going straight the handles vs the front wheel seemed off to the left about 5 degrees. Is this something easily fixed at the dealership?

Overall, I am quite pleased with the acceleration (can easily match a Harley off the line most of the time) and handling as well as the weight. The 400 is nice compromise between a city scooter and highway cruiser but if you ride mostly highway get the 650. However, if your average speed is under 70 mph the 400 is a great choice.

I considered the 2014 Honda Forza but decided on the Burgman 400 due to a more powerful engine, more years on the road (Honda is first year model) and the fact you guys love your Burgmans.

I appreciate all of your time in posting on this forum and that a made a big impact on my purchase decision to get a Burgman 400.

Thank You

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice or comments about my front wheel being out of alignment by about 5 degrees to the right? The used Burg 400 didn't have that same issue. Is that an easy fix?

Also, if any of you can recommend the best windshield for this scooter I would greatly appreciate it. The Givi 2 piece windshield was adjustable and really nice. Is that the best one? Should I buy it online? If so do you have the link? I would like the dealer or a repair guy to install it. What is a fair price for labor?

Finally, my first oil change is at 600 miles so should I let the dealer do it? Maybe, he can fix my alignment issue and change the oil. The dealer wants $60 for the oil change. Is that fair or customary?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Any advice or comments about my front wheel being out of alignment by about 5 degrees to the right? The used Burg 400 didn't have that same issue. Is that an easy fix?

Also, if any of you can recommend the best windshield for this scooter I would greatly appreciate it. The Givi 2 piece windshield was adjustable and really nice. Is that the best one? Should I buy it online? If so do you have the link? I would like the dealer or a repair guy to install it. What is a fair price for labor?

Finally, my first oil change is at 600 miles so should I let the dealer do it? Maybe, he can fix my alignment issue and change the oil. The dealer wants $60 for the oil change. Is that fair or customary?

Thanks again.
Re wheel out of alignment .
i suggest you check that the front wheel has not been installed back to front as was done on my 08 400 burgy.just check distance between the brake attachment bolts and the discs.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the front wheel between my legs and yanked at the handler bars in the opposite direction. I repeated 2 more times. Now, the scooter goes straight as an arrow. But, I do notice the front wheel is about 2-3 degrees out of alignment with the bike (just a slight misalignment). The bike handles well and goes straight. Should I bother with a more formal fix at the dealership?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am ordering a Givi AF 266 and seat back rest. Anyone recommend the bearcat vs the BestBackrests.com? I am leaning towards the best back rests because of adjustability. I have read some members need it while others are happy with the bearcat. If I get the bearcat and need to adjust the backrest I'm out all my money vs the adjustable version at bestbackrests.com

Comments?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
It's a new bike - get the dealer to fix it correctly! Personally, I'd be a bit concerned that you can yank the handlebars and they straighten things up. Something's loose, surely?

I have a Givi airflow shield on my Honda SH300. Brilliant!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I'm getting the 2012 400cc Burgman with ABS Limited Edition. I took it out for a test drive today and said I'd be 20 minutes. Well just over 45 minutes later I rode it back into the dealership. Took me about 5 minutes to get back into the swing of riding it. After 2 years away from riding, it was a pleasure to ride again. Noticed the instrument cluster has all changed from the 2006 model that I did have before. This one has a temperature gauge on it as well as heated grips and hand guards. It was advertised for $4950 and out the door it is $5712. I don't like the windshield on there and will order an extra large Givi (without the vent) as I had one before and really liked it. Also I am ordering a Givi V46 Top box and bracket as this scooter does not have that and I liked that top box. It actually has 1525kms on the dash, not 1100 as they previously quoted but that is a mere piffle. This is one sweet looking ride and I cannot believe my luck in spotting it online. I have been looking for a while but just saw it on Wednesday night and sent off an email first thing Thursday morning. he put a hold notice on it after I talked to him and I went to my bank Friday night. Still don't know if I have a loan or not but if not I'll cash in some RRSP money and then pay it back. Whatever happens I will have this new scooter one way or another. Still have all my gear as I always knew another scooter was in my future.
Cheers Sally.

Reactions: Ivabign

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome Burgmanmaniac,

Yes get that to the dealer and let them true it up.

You have a great bike and a smoking deal. WOW OTD for around $6500 :p

Not all Harley riders are that worried about you and your scooter, don't worry about em. They are a one trick pony, straight fast and loud. The slightest curve and you can be on your second cool beverage before they pull up. I know this because yesterday I pulled my buddy's fat boy out of a ditch on a slight bend. We were doing 40 mph. They are not called hogs for nothing.

Enjoy one of the most do it all good and fun bikes out there.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Your triple trees, that hold your forks on/in line, are loose is my bet. You should have to loosen them up to do what you did, which is basically the way they'll fix it. But have them do it, you do not want a high speed death wobble! Don't get all upset, it'll be fine. I also have a 2012-400 and love mine. You have some top speed left in it, just takes a little while to wind her up after 80, lol.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your triple trees, that hold your forks on/in line, are loose is my bet. You should have to loosen them up to do what you did, which is basically the way they'll fix it. But have them do it, you do not want a high speed death wobble! Don't get all upset, it'll be fine. I also have a 2012-400 and love mine. You have some top speed left in it, just takes a little while to wind her up after 80, lol.
Enjoy.

I drove it again this morning without any issues or wobble. 3 hard yanks on the handle bars seemed to fix my alignment issue. But, I will have my dealer inspect and align the front wheel to specs.

That said, it rides straight as an arrow now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now my improvements for the 400 are a 500 cc engine, better back rest and much better windshield. I wouldn't mind 1 inch larger tires either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Only a 500cc? I would love to have everything the B650 offers with the weight, the insurance cost and the mpg of the B400.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like the power of the 650 with the weight of the 400. I'd sacrifice MPG to get the extra power but do not want the weight.

I'd like a radio or iTunes player as well.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Right now my improvements for the 400 are a 500 cc engine, better back rest and much better windshield. I wouldn't mind 1 inch larger tires either.
It's not improvements -- it's another bike, which could be the 650 if they hadn't put so much weight in it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honda managed to get a lot of power from its new Forza. If Suzuki copied Honda's new engine the Burgman 400 would be plenty fast without any weight gain. Hence, the Burgman 400 with a redesigned engine could be as powerful as the current 650 (or almost) without any weight or fuel penalties.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congratulations on a great bike! I just got a 2011 Burgman 400 ABS and have had it for about a week...and I just can't stay off it! Thank God for some great Fall weather so far. This weekend, I went up to Graves Mountain Lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the bike handled the twisties with grace and ease! What fun! Then today, I went to Westmoreland Berry Farm and Colonial Beach...another great ride! The bike is just fantastic, and as much as I loved my SYM RV250, it is having a great rest for awhile! It's great having it as a spare and for short, local trips. The 400 is the perfect all around bike for me. It handled the highway with no problems, the small towns with no problems, and especiall handled those curvy, country roads! Love, love, love it! Have a great time with yours!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want more low end power- maybe add those buttons from the 650? I'd like to be able to add a radio as a dealer installed option.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wife who has never ridden anything other than a bicycle in her 50 years of life wants a scooter. I'm thinking of giving her my 400 and getting the 2013 650 model. But, I do 95% local riding and rarely any interstate.

Is the 650 the right upgrade for me or should I get another 400? The reason I didn't buy the 650 was the weight; I wanted a bike under 500 pounds. But, would the power of the 650 make the extra weight worth the tradeoff to me?

Or, I could wait and get the 2014 Burgman 200 or the 2014 Honda Forza. I prefer to stick with the Burgmans.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You could wait for 2014 400. But even her sometimes is too big for the city, leave alone the Lardy. Folks will likely argue again :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts