Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I do not like it.

Does not fit well over stock holes the top of the screen is closer to your face height does not show as the angle make it look and feel lower than stock and the most important thing wind was still hitting my face at time it felt like more wind come over the top. Will have to install my Laminar lip from the stock screen to see if it helps as I said the angle at the top is a lot closer to your face which of course will also change the angle of the lip, but there is one good from this add on screen I felt less wind over my hands but to me not worth the time and effort to change it.

Again this is my own review and I am sure there will be some who will disagree with me.

On another note is was a spring like day in New Jersey for a nice long ride but do miss the lip from my old screen as I am not use to wind hitting my face.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Roger,

Is it the Suzuki tall screen, Clearview, or Givi?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is the Suzuki tall screen with the hands protectors.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Suzuki factory tall screen for the V-Strom got poor reviews also. I never heard of anyone who liked it. It seems that the aftermarket does a much better job. I've had more of a challenge "fixing" my Suzukis windscreen solutions than any other bikes I have ever owned. I think their factory windscreens are designed to look good in a showroom, and not performance tested.

·
Registered
250 Posts
pauljo said:
... I think their factory windscreens are designed to look good in a showroom, and not performance tested...
I think I agree with you, Pauljo.

My new Givi screen is the first taller screen I've fitted to my bikes which seems to work as intended.

Being 6'7'', I've fitted high screens to nearly every faired bike I've ever owned (and there have been literally scores of them), but hardly any of them made a huge improvement, and many of them actually made things worse.

One major discovery i made was that, as a tall man, I've often found that a lower screen has improved things the most. Strange but true!

But back to the Burgman: I could tell that the stock screen would be useless for me, and turned to this forum to help me decide on the best after-market solution. You've triumphed again, guys! The Givi really is perfect (for me, at any rate) and at £79.99 has been one of the cheapest after-market screens I've ever purchased (and approximately a quarter of what I paid for my Silver Wing screen :shock: last year ....)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
One major discovery i made was that, as a tall man, I've often found that a lower screen has improved things the most. Strange but true!
I am 6'6" tall, and have found that to be true also. I ride the Burgman 650 with a Lg Clearview shield (not XL, not XXL). I rode my recent V-Strom in the Summer with the short stock windscreen. After much experimentation with both Suzukis, I found that investing in a more aerodynamic helmet and letting it be in the wind was a good solution.

The worst situation is having air that has been disturbed by a windscreen hitting at mid height on a helmet. That seems to result in maximum wind noise and buffeting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: My review of bigger replacement Suzuki burgman 650 scree

burg650 said:
To make a long story short, I do not like it.
That would be the Italian made one, I tried it last year and found the quality wasn't as good as the original and, in my case, it move the wind to a perfect place to beat my helmet to the point that my vision blurred.
I didn't have any problems mounting it but the edges felt as if they would slice you open if you fell on it. Fortunately my dealer arranged to get it sent back to Suzuki.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Paul, your comments are particularly interesting to me because of our similar size, I'm 6'5", 35 inseam, and similar interest in wind management. I'm hoping to use your experience to get it right the first time. Where exactly does a horizontal line across the top of the shield hit you?

Looks like the first boat load of 650's will be at the Seattle port Friday!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
GEOBOISE said:
Paul, your comments are particularly interesting to me because of our similar size, I'm 6'5", 35 inseam, and similar interest in wind management. I'm hoping to use your experience to get it right the first time. Where exactly does a horizontal line across the top of the shield hit you?
I can't tell you exactly, but it is somewhere around the base of my chin. There is more than just height that determines the effectiveness of a windscreen though. I got my solution to work by shimming the upper windscreen mounting points outward about 1/4 inch. This gave considerable additional lift to the wind coming off of the shield. The wind hits my helmet just above the top of the faceshield, and is reasonably smooth. If you want a "first shot" solution, and don't mind losing some mpg and top speed, go with a Clearview XXL with the vent option. I was trying to find a tolerable solution that didn't cost me 5 miles per gallon and 15 mph top speed, which was the cost of running the XXL Clearview that I tried. For comfort though, the XXL wins hands down. With the vent you can get some cooling breeze on hot days too - something that wasn't available with the older XXL I tried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts