Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
That blue is way nicer than the silvers. Congrats!

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I did have a lower OTD price on a 2021 Matte Silver Crystal model, but that trade allowance just wasn't there for it and that actually made the deal so close it was a no brainer going with the newer model in the much MUCH nicer color.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Congrats and let the farkels begin!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Rode the Burgman 650 down to Moto Italia at Edwardsville, IL and met Russ (a friend and rider from ST-Owners who lives in Eastern Iowa) at the first gas stop along the ride and he accompanied me the rest of the way around. He has accompanied me on rides to riding/camping events several times.

The trip down was faster than the trip back. Went 364 miles to get there. Spent entirely too long at the dealership but I was going over things on the new 2022 Kymco AK 550 and setting up the Noodoe app and connecting that to the AK for trying out the navigation on the way home. Ended up that the navigation took longer than I thought to update all the mapping to enable it to work well on that first trip. I didn't plan to go all the way home the same day since I knew I'd be at the dealer at least a few hours. We ended up taking nearly 5 hours to get to our motel after leaving the dealer sometime around 4:30. Part of that was taking it extremely easy on the new bike for the first 100 miles keeping the speed lower and varying the RPM as was required by the mfr. and recommended by the dealer. Should have stayed at a motel closer to the dealer. The navigation really didn't work well at all on the way to the motel. It kept trying to get me to turn around or take side streets/roads to get back to... somewhere else than where I was headed. So I ended up ignoring it and going by instinct.

This is a small dealership and one of very few where they actually do repairs to bikes rather than just replace modules that the computer diagnostics say to replace. This is one BIG reason many dealer shops don't work on bikes more than 10 years old.

Dealer looked over my Burgman and I showed him about the farkles that were added. One big reason I decided to bite the bullet with this dealer is that they offered more for my Burgman in trade than anyone had actually offered for a sale price from my advertising. Plus, they were willing to deal on the price a little. Ended up with a better deal than if I bought a 2021 model at a lower price but more up-charges tacked on and no trade. Everything went as expected financially.

The ride back to the motel the Saturday night was long but the AK performed wonderfully. The engine revs a little higher than my Burgman did for the same speeds but that just enables it to out perform the Burgman. It accelerates faster. Smaller engine (550.4cc vs. 638cc) and about 130 lbs lighter than the Burgman with about the same torque and HP. The seat is comfortable. The slanted foot board is a little closer than on the Burgman, but that's good since I always felt it was too far away. The level foot board feels a little lower than on the Burgman, but that's due to the seat being a little bit higher. Both foot boards were more comfortable to use on this bike. The seat height is actually 1 inch higher than on the Burgman 650. The all LED lighting, including headlights, worked really well. I was able to clearly see way down the road with those, especially on high beam. Russ was following and told me the tail light showed up really well. But that while the brake light was rather small it was very bright. I've intended to add a flashing brake LED bar similar to what I have had on all of my last 4 bikes. There is a bracket for the rear reflectors that will work well to mount that LED bar.

The dealer had filled the gas tank and ended up with 6 miles on the bike when I arrived. Now it has 412 miles on the odometer. The trip home from the dealership was 406 miles. I was able to get the maps figured out for the connected navigation and that worked well today on the rest of the way home. I think I figured out that the selected maps just didn't completely download to the bike before we left the dealer and then were not able to do so while on the road. That did complete while we were at the motel so today the navigation worked as well as any other navigation system. I want to try it out a lot more before I decide if I even want to mount my phone, or any other device, on the dash. I am thinking right now that I won't have to. I'm very good with that idea since the only reason I would have my phone mounted on the bike is for navigation. I can still have Google Maps running and giving me voice prompts while the bike navigation is showing on the center screen with the phone sitting in the glove box plugged into the USB port, which is what I was doing today. That worked out rather well. The Noodoe system on the AK 550 already handles showing me if there are text messages or phone calls I missed while riding, but this ONLY shows up when I am stopped and does not interrupt anything while riding. That part was working fine yesterday since there were a few text messages and a phone call I missed but the screen didn't show that to me until I stopped at the motel.

BTW- The "AVE MPG" display on the dash was showing around 65-66 mpg for every tank of gas I used. That display resets when I reset the A Trip meter, which I do every time I fill the tank to keep track of miles run since last fill. I haven't yet calculated the mpg based on miles traveled between fill ups yet so don't know how accurate the reading is on the dash. I do know that the gas gauge has been severely criticized for dropping to the flashing last bar rather fast. Some have said only half a tank is used to get to that point. I only saw that last bar start to flash once on the way home and for that tank it started flashing at 134 miles. And then I added just over 2.4 gallons when I stopped a few miles after that. My impression is that it really is not that much different than the gas gauge on "my" Burgman 650. (quote marks added since it is no longer mine now).

This bike has a "welcome" feature that I ended up turning off. That causes the Noodoe screen to light up and pulse a few times when I approach the bike even when it is turned off. Some owners on other forums have said this is the bike sensing the remote fob but I found that not to be the case. It was doing that when it sensed my phone if BT was still turned on (and both fobs were in Faraday pouches in the motel room). I turned off the welcome sensing and also will make sure to turn off BT on my phone... which I usually do anyway when I'm not using my Sena. Turning off the BT on my phone stopped that welcome feature even before I disabled it.

A few more photos below. I bought a few supply things... a few oil filters (dealer has a real good price), an air filter, and a CVT gasket. That last item could not be bent, obviously, and was packaged on a stiff cardboard. I was able to bend the corners of the cardboard that were clear of the actual gasket so it would fit in the storage under the seat without being damaged. That is what I planned for by bringing my clothes in a small dry bag that I put under the cargo net on the passenger seat.

At the dealership
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

At the motel
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

On the way home today at the actual American Gothic house in Eldon, IA. Just to the left of this pic is the visitor center.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

I used soft ties around the passenger hand grips to prevent marring the finish

I want to get more riding in, which I will be doing in the next many weeks I hope, before I give more of an evaluation of this scooter.

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
Sweet !

How was the wind protection compared to the B650 ?
Initial impressions of suspension? Speed Bumps ? Railroad Crossings?
Speedometer Accuracy ?
Ease of fuel-ups?
Exhaust sound at idle, at cruising ?
Ergonomics of handle bars and controls?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I guess I could give a little bit of review here so far.

Wind protection was good. I felt it was as good as on my Burgman. And the screen on the AK 550 was set up in the down position. I'll be moving it to the up position after a bit of time for cool weather riding. The screen on the AK may look small-ish but seems to work just fine for me.

Suspension was good as well, a little better than the Burgman. Especially the front. But I haven't looked into adjusting the rear shock as yet. I THINK it can be adjusted. Most of the roads we were on had compression bumps from expanding pavement that often happens up here with high temps in summer and very low temps in winter. The AK 550 handled those much nicer than the Burgman and without any "shock" that sometimes happened. Railroad crossings and speed bumps were similarly handled.

Not completely sure of the speedo accuracy yet. My riding buddy is riding a CTX1300, which had a rather accurate speedometer. At least the CTX1300 that I had was spot on with my Garmin GPS and my phone GPS. That is something yet to be determined.

Fueling the AK 550 is easy. The gas cap/opening is centered on the bike side to side so it's no big deal to fill up while on the side stand. The level ends up the same. One safety feature of the AK is that to open the gas cover you have to turn the control knob past the engine shut off. I always get off my bikes to fill the gas tank. Just always have. I'd be too clumsy to even attempt filling the tank while sitting on the bike as I've seen some riders do. The neck of the gas opening has a metal plate with the hole in it about an inch below the top of the opening. I set the gas nozzle so the little hole in the bottom side of the spout (the hole that has to be facing down and is what senses when fuel level should shut off the gas flow) is JUST below or at that plate. So far every fill up has turned off the gas flow exactly the same and when the tank is full.

Exhaust sound a idle is amazing. A very lovely throaty growl. Same at cruising, but with wind and road noise not as easy to hear. It is easy to hear when starting up from a stop or after slowing for a turn. :giggle:

I spoke of ergonomics a little in a former post in this thread. I will add here that the handle bars and grips are in a good position for me. Almost the same as my Burgman. I did find it will take a bit of adjustment to be easily able to work the right grip controls for the dash and Noodoe screen. Right now it is awkward but that's because it is new for me. I was just starting to figure it out when I arrived home today. There really aren't many times when you would have to operate those buttons. But sometimes it is handy when the Noodoe navigation is onscreen but then you want to see the clock or weather screens.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Informative posts!

One more question: ease of flat-footing it at stops, what with the 1” higher seat, e.g., does the seat get way narrower up front, appropriate floorboard cut-outs, that sort of thing?

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
The foot boards are longer than on the Burgman but the level foot board is tapered toward the rear. The seat on the AK also is relatively narrow in front. The AK 550 seat height is 1 inch taller than on the Burgman 650, but 1 inch lower than on my old ST1100. I really didn't have any problem with any of these 3 bikes. The Burgman I could easily flat foot on both sides. My ST was a little more of a challenge but I found I could flat foot one side while on the ball of my foot on the other side. The AK 550 is somewhere in between. If I try I can flat foot by scooting up in the saddle a little and reaching. If I don't feel like trying I don't mind being able to flat foot on one side with just a little more than the ball of my other foot on the other side. I usually try to only put one foot down anyway as a matter of practice. I had no issues with going either way on the AK. The foot boards were not at all an issue in any way IMO.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
BTW- you will notice the tail end of my Burgman 650 just outside the dealership door in the photo with me standing by my new AK 550.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Also, just a note: When I arrived home my wife came out to see my new bike and once again stated that she likes the blue a lot. She feels it's more visible than gray or silver or even black. I get the feeling she thinks it's more visible than even the white of my Burgman.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Thanks for the additional info.

Looking forward to a passenger comparison report.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Won't likely get that from me. I always ride solo.

My wife decided she didn't want to be a passenger on my bikes since my ST1100 about 10 years ago and hasn't been passenger on my last 3 bikes. That's one reason I didn't even put a top case on my CTX1300... because she didn't want to ride behind me on my bikes. I wouldn't expect her to even think about it on the AK without a back rest or top case for a back rest. And even with a top case on my Burgman she didn't really want to ride it.

She will, however, ride her Metropolitan all around the metro area here when the weather is warm and sunny. It's pretty much started its hibernation now. Ready for being parked in front of the line of Snow Thrower (closest to garage door) then mower then Metropolitan on blocks with Sta-Bil in the tank and the battery maintainer cable hanging out ready to be plugged in.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Just rearranged my garage yesterday! Snowblower by the door, Burger moved to the other end.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Is the hump on the 550 higher — harder to step through — than on the Burger?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congratulations again on the new Scoot; It's a beauty. That might be my next purchase, but first I need to ride the Burgman. Hopefully that will happen in four more months. Keep us updated on your thoughts of your new ride.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What? four more months…. are you taking the proverbial slow boat ?
____

I have to renew my greencard for Taiwan before I leave and can't do that until Jan.2022 plus I haven't finished the bathroom project yet; I'm old and slow. Also just checked UA which I have been flying for the past 20 years and the round trip airfare is double from what it was in 2019. And they are not even accepting my air miles for coach but they will for business class. First time they have ever done that; really pisses me off.

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
____

I have to renew my greencard for Taiwan before I leave and can't do that until Jan.2022 plus I haven't finished the bathroom project yet; I'm old and slow. Also just checked UA which I have been flying for the past 20 years and the round trip airfare is double from what it was in 2019. And they are not even accepting my air miles for coach but they will for business class. First time they have ever done that; really pisses me off.
Understood, I just got my Indian quasi Green Card, but I’m leaving my 1980’s bathroom remodel for the next guy.

It’s odd but thousands of flights have been canceled due to bad weather? Someone needs to mandate Blue Skys Forever.

I’ll pencil you in for Easter BBQ….

·
Registered
192 Posts
Understood, I just got my Indian quasi Green Card, but I’m leaving my 1980’s bathroom remodel for the next guy.

It’s odd but thousands of flights have been canceled due to bad weather? Someone needs to mandate Blue Skys Forever.

I’ll pencil you in for Easter BBQ….
____
Blue is why we are in this situation; way to go Brandon.

Reactions: DarisPakar
81 - 100 of 127 Posts