Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those compareing cycles,
If you feel that the 650 is too "lardy arse", too heavy,then don't buy it, by something else lighter.
I read all these posts of people saying..."if it had this and that and this and that..."
if you want a tmax, then buy one. If you want all the bells and whistles of a goldwing, then buy one. If you want a lightweight nimble bike, then buy a 250 cc scooter.
Not every bike will be perfect for everyone. Thats why there are so many of them made, different styles. I have a intruder 1400, and for the most part, I love it, but it doesn't have what the burgman has, so its up to me to make a decision if I want to keep the truder, or get a burgman. The burgman WON'T have the same ride and power the truder has...and the truder doesn't have the protection the burgman has.
yah, I agree that IF the burgman 650 had a 760 cc motor in it, and had a cd player, and a CB unit. and a coffee cup holder and and and...it would be the most AWSOME bike on the roads, but it doesn't, and never will. If I wanted alot of power, and all the goodies, I'd have to buy a goldwing.

Everybody talks about how wonderful the burgman is, how solid and well built it is. Well, maybe thats the reason why its so HEAVY , 'cause its built like a tank, built to last forever. There is a reason why heavy machinery ISN'T made out of plastic, its got to last for a long time, so its' made out of heavy material.

Not criticizing, jsut giving food for thought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well said and I agree. Plus, you can add whatever you want on a Burgman for a lot less than you can buy a Goldwing or BMW, which I like to compare my 650 to. I don't see me ever going back to a cruiser, not for my riding purposes, or a crotch rocket either, which I've also had. Now a Goldwing would be nice, but not until I turn 50 and my wife starts making more money.

Just more food for thought.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jkrerol15,
I ride with a goldwing riders group GWRRA. alot of those folks keep asking me when I'm going to trade in my intruder 1400 on a wing. I tell them I have absolutely NO interrest in a goldwing. they are way too big and heavy. I like a smaller nimble bike, one that doesn't feel like it will tip over in parking lots. I do love my truder, but there are times when I'd love a quiet ride and with our weather here in north western NYS, it would be nice to be protected from the cold without having to wear a ton of clothes and gloves. Also I'm getting sick of when My wife rides with me, we have to "yell" to each other to have a conversation.
so, with all that and a few others things in mind, this is why I'm looking to replace my truder with a burgman.
By the way, I jsut turned 50..so I guess getting a 650 burgie will be my mid life goldwing cri :wink: sis... :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
wilder days wrote
If you feel that the 650 is too "lardy arse", too heavy,then don't buy it, by something else lighter.
I read all these posts of people saying..."if it had this and that and this and that..."
I think maybe your missing the point, we complain here because it the only place we can complain . :)
Beside I think most of it is really wishing .

Myself I happen to think your absolutely right :lol:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its mostly wishful thinking, but if you read the forums for comments back to Suzuki, thi sis where I think people are way out of wack with there wishes and demands.
Maybe I'm way too criticle of people, I guess I tend to be. I just get sick of people belly aching about every little thing. I think the people in this country have lost all sense of common sense. Yes, america is a most wonderful country to live in, but with the way we're going..with all the suing, and corruption, and crime and the such, within about 20 years we'll be as bad off as most thrird world countries as far as the quality of everyday life. Most of us live in fear of everyday things now.
Anyways, let me step off my band wagon here and let others voice there opinions.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree with your opinion, but there is a fundamental difference. A certain percentage of Gold Wingers and Harley riders feel that at some point, most riders that have the financial resources to buy a GW or Harley should buy just that.

If you ride something else because you "have" to because you don't have the money or have to buy important stuff like food, that's cool with them. The GW'rs and HD'rs will associate with you and support you knowing that when you gain more success, you will buy what they have. But honestly, you will be treated as a second class citizen if you CHOOSE otherwise.

I have enough money AND credit to buy kind of bike that I want. I chose a Burgman 400. When us, as scooter riders, have the financial ability to buy what everyone calls a "REAL" motorcycle and instead buy a "puny little scooter", folks just don't seem to understand.

Thing is, they DO understand all too well. The Wingers know all too well that I don't need a cd player, air ride, 1500CC living room to enjoy a weekend tour on the road. The HD guys are even worse, knowing that frankly, we don't need any piece of $25000 loud, overweight, slow piece of chrome iron to sooth us during our midlife crisis. But they love to get together in groups and "justify" their purchase.

But such is American society. Folks will buy a $4000 lawn tractor to mow a 1/4 acre and an oversized 4wd sport utility to drive to the grocery store. It's folks wanting you to look at what they own and go "Wow!!! I am so impressed!!!" Honestly, I have never been that way and have never understood those who are.

When I bought my scooter instead of a Harley, I made a statement. I said "I don't want that, I want THIS." and frankly, the Harley folks where I work were, to a certain extent, offended. Without saying anything, I have told them that their purchase made no sense to me. I have to think that at times they question the purchase themselves. I have to think that these Harley guys, who put less miles on in a year than I do in a week, sit alone sometimes thinking "why the h*ll did I buy that!!!???"

But if they can get in a group of 5 or more and brag about their FLSTR or whatever and say "Yeah, I got the chrome handgrips" then they feel good about themselves. And I guess that's alright with me...but I still don't get it.

As far as the Gold Wings are concerned, if I want a Honda like that, I'll buy a Civic!!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
wilder days said:
If you feel that the 650 is too "lardy arse", too heavy,then don't buy it, by something else lighter.I read all these posts of people saying..."if it had this and that and this and that..."
if you want a tmax, then buy one. If you want all the bells and whistles of a goldwing, then buy one. If you want a lightweight nimble bike, then buy a 250 cc scooter.Not every bike will be perfect for everyone. Thats why there are so many of them made, different styles. I have a intruder 1400, and for the most part, I love it, but it doesn't have what the burgman has, so its up to me to make a decision if I want to keep the truder, or get a burgman. The burgman WON'T have the same ride and power the truder has...and the truder doesn't have the protection the burgman has.
yah, I agree that IF the burgman 650 had a 760 cc motor in it, and had a cd player, and a CB unit. and a coffee cup holder and and and...it would be the most AWSOME bike on the roads, but it doesn't, and never will. If I wanted alot of power, and all the goodies, I'd have to buy a goldwing.

Everybody talks about how wonderful the burgman is, how solid and well built it is. Well, maybe thats the reason why its so HEAVY , 'cause its built like a tank, built to last forever. There is a reason why heavy machinery ISN'T made out of plastic, its got to last for a long time, so its' made out of heavy material.

Not criticizing, jsut giving food for thought.
Hi Wilder days

I enjoyed reading your opinion and fully respect your view and position. :salute:

Despite your footnote which I believe contradicted the main thrust of your post, I say this - Please do not get tired of others who have opinions that differ from yours. :)

We are all different people and we all have different criteria on which we base our purchasing decisions or even our aspirational purchases too.
But that is (IMHO), the real strength of this forum, that, together with the common interest, sharing experiences and the comradeship which takes this forum on to exponential growth and success. It is the discourse of these ideas and the debate that follows, that I for one, find most valuable - and of course there is some fun to be had too. :wink:

If Suzuki were as sharp as they could or should be, they could at least review and appraise the ideas lodged in the feedback section (its free market research after all). Of course some of the suggestions may not be either practical or economic but - .........from little acorns etc etc.

:)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Norman, I agree. I'd love to see some of the ideas that our member have put forth come to fruition, but I'm sure that would raise the price dramatically. After all, this is a scooter, so they have to cut it off at some point. I know i tend to be way too opinionated, I get that from my parents.
But, I'm sticking with what i've said, that I feel people need to give thought about things before they ask for things. Common sense would tell you that its impossible to put everything everybody wants on a burgman, and it would still be a scooter selling at $7800.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Randy said:
I think maybe your missing the point, we complain here because it the only place we can complain . :)
Beside I think most of it is really wishing .

Myself I happen to think your absolutely right :lol:
I know most of my complaining is just wishing in disguise. I love the bike!! I researched bikes for a year and a half before making a decision. The decision that was made, was the AN650!

It came down to two choices, a Goldwing, or a Scooter.

Wife works. I'm in School.

Hmmm, $20,000 Goldwing or $7000 Scooter? One income....

Simple decision really.

...now only if the Burgman had cruise control. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree Kias, and like jkrerol15 said, you can get alomost any toys you want for the burgie.
There are a couple of crusise controls out there that will fit the burgman. If you're low on cash, you can do the rubber washer control, Get a large diameter gasket, and place it between your throttle and the stop plate. lift it on to pinch the throttle in the postion you want, and lift off to dis engage the control

·
Registered
209 Posts
<Secret Whisper to Wilder Days>The cruise control comment was a joke... Click here for the Punch Line.</Secret Whisper to Wilder Days> 8)

Love that Burgie, just the way it is!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I think ya missed the joke since Rob (aka Kias) just fitted the Audiovox cruise control on his Burgman. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There I go again...getting way too serious. Thanks for the smack in the face to wake me up.
Now that I've made a complet IDIOT of myself, I'll go away.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about missing the joke. I almost missed it and I had been asking Rob several questions about the Audiovox cruise control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but my 650 feels as much like any motorcyle as anything pretty much could - or at least I want it to be. I paid $4,500 for a 2003 650 with 1,100 miles on it and not one scratch back in June. I had an 1100 Katana a few years back and I would never go back to that type bike over the scoot, which I still struggle to get out sometimes when people ask me what type "motorcyle" I have. But like many of you other guys, I'm finding that I like to tell them it's just a scooter and then see the looks on their faces when they see my "scooter." And even if I had 20 grand to blow, I can honestly say it would not be on a Harley - but maybe a BMW.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
jkrerol15 wrote
And even if I had 20 grand to blow, I can honestly say it would not be on a Harley - but maybe a BMW.
I have BMW R1200C sitting out back that has become a lager dust collector since I got my scooter. :(

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hmmm... I haven't bought a lotto ticket lately. But if I did fall into some unexpected cash...

1. I'd keep the Burgman 650 and treat it to a Corbin seat.
2. I'd buy one of those Honda Big Ruckus scoots and some accessories, and go exploring some of the gravel roads around here. Yep, a "scooter jeep" - I could use one of those.
3. My V-Strom would turn into this:
[/img]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts