Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here are some pictures of my winter project. I always wanted to try to pull a trailer with my bike. This year my son has a job out of town and I will need to rely on my bike more, and I will need to be able to transport work tools with me.

Started with a Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer kit that I got for about $160 Cnd. After I used my 30% off coupon.

I cut it down by 7 inches in width (3.5 off each side) and had Ro re-drill some of the mounting holes. 7" also taken out of centre of axel (axel channel held 1.25" square tube to use as a brace and give great surface area for the weld)

$62.50 bought me the custom cut piece of aluminum checker plate for the floor.. It's held on with the thru bolts that hold the frame together, and a series of large aluminum pop rivets.

The HF kit comes with everything you need. Every nut bolt and wire Great deal for a light weight trailer.

I had some 6/4 furniture grade oak leftover from an earlier project, but it was free. Shame to plane it down to 5/8" but I wanted it to be as light as possible and still strong. Glue and SS screws hold the racks together 5/16 galvanized bolts hold the posts to the frame of the trailer.

The trailer hitch is a design I got from Gressl on this forum.. Do a search for the full build details. His design is great and I only modified it slightly to better suit the materials and tools I had available to me.

Only point I cheated on was the loop to clip the safety chain to. It is on the drawbar for the ball. Since the hidden hitch style means that the draw bar can be removed when not in use the safety chains should really go to a permanent point on the bike.

I used the regular incandescent trailer lights that came with the kit, so I added a Reese lighting controller. Fifty bucks but protects the stock wiring from failure. Also, after considering all options, I stripped and soldered all my connection, not actually cutting into the wire harness in doing so.

I have pulled it down the highway at 95 kph (58 mph) and it tows fine. It is also large enough that I can see it in my mirrors

All in all, a cool project and I hace less than $250 bucks invested. Now I just have to wait for my first golf day.

Blakers

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last one (sorry system not allowing for multiple down loads at once)

No wait, not system Probably operator error

Attachments

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Form: A gene-splicing disaster using the DNA of a 21st Century scooter-trash guy and a 19th Century Amish girl.

Function: Does the job you built it for. Plus a big thumbs-up on your modifications! Good work!

My winter project? Re-organizing my sock drawer.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
^^^ lol
Nice job. Did the fancy diamond plate weigh a lot? How much does the whole trailer weigh? Hard to fit it on a scale I suppose.....
I'd love to see some detailed pictures of your hitch. Nice work, but if I can't do it in a day, I lose my mind! Patience payed off here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ lol
Nice job. Did the fancy diamond plate weigh a lot? How much does the whole trailer weigh? Hard to fit it on a scale I suppose.....
I'd love to see some detailed pictures of your hitch. Nice work, but if I can't do it in a day, I lose my mind! Patience payed off here.
Diamond plate aluminum ...... I doubt it weighs 4 pounds. Whole trailer probably weighs about 125 ponds tops I can lift it to put it into storage.

Go to search on this forum for trailer hitch build. Forum member named Gressl came up with the design and all his info and measurements are listed there And better photos

Blakers

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very impressive, Blakers. I've been trying to figure out how to get my golf clubs on the Burgman. Your trailer concept is the way to go. Mahalo and aloha!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm........
room for 2 sets of golf clubs
& a cooler full of Dr Pepper
right between them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Looks jimdandy to me. Wish I had one.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
We get Dr Pepper in Canada" My kids love to get to the States and order Mr. Pibb
Probably the best imitation of Dr Pepper....
but still an imitation......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice job,the suspension in these trailers is rated for 800 lbs if you find the trailer bouncy you can adjust the tire pressure to compensate,I'm running mine at 15psi and seems about right.Im sure I saw you and your bike in the clappison corner area,I noticed the hitch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job,the suspension in these trailers is rated for 800 lbs if you find the trailer bouncy you can adjust the tire pressure to compensate,I'm running mine at 15psi and seems about right.Im sure I saw you and your bike in the clappison corner area,I noticed the hitch.
I like the idea of reduced tire pressure. I will give it a try.

I also removed one of the leaf springs off of each side of the trailer so that its capacity will be somewhat less than the 800 pounds it was designed for.

I haven't made it to clap prison corners yet

Blakers

·
Registered
255 Posts
You guys could try one of these, its a single wheel trailer that my buddies and I built.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys could try one of these, its a single wheel trailer that my buddies and I built.

Greg
Would that design put a lot of tongue weight onto the ball? Seems that it would put at least half of your loaded weight towards your hitch.

Blakers

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It all depends where you put the stuff on the bed.

If you put a 30 lbs weight 2/3's of the way from the trailer axle to the tongue, 20 lbs will be on the tongue and 10 lbs on the rear wheel.

On a camping trip, you'd put all the heavy stuff near the wheel and the bulky, light stuff near the tongue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Guys with my camping gear on board as you see it there is 65lbs of tongue weight, the camping gear weighs in at close to 95lbs and the trailer weighs 120 lbs. Trailer is almost 8 foot long from hitch to tire contact patch. I have towed the trailer loaded to 85mph+ with the V-Strom and have never had a swaying issue. In testing the trailer with my V-Strom 1000 I had the trailer at 115mph with no issues (this was unladen). At speed you don't know its back there other than when slowing down you can feel the extra weight just as you would with a heavy passenger. Crosswinds ( and here in New Mexico I can attest to driving in plenty of strong crosswinds in the springtime) the bike and trailer combination are not any more affected than riding without the trailer. I speculate that this is because it is relatively low profile and had the long wheel base.

Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts