Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new bike recently, a 2005 Honda CB 919 Hornet. This is the old standard retro style with large round front headlight and naked (no windshield). If you haven't ridden a naked bike, it's the raw and total motorcycle experience. Great for hot weather too like we have in Texas. Power comes from a 919cc inline four based on the 900rr race engine. It has allot of torque but is still easy to ride as a commuter bike in traffic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Dan brought his bike by yesterday for me to see, nice looking.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I always like the looks of the Hornets. I personally wouldn't want a bike that big{a 1000cc sport would get me into trouble for sure!} but there was the smaller 599 or if you go to Japan there is a 250. In fact the first Hornet was the 250 but it is only for sale in Japan. The Hornet 250 has the most powerful 250cc engine for a production bike. Japan has strict displacement classes with restrictions and taxes on the larger sizes. Therefor the 250cc is very popular in Japan, big enough to get some performance but not so big to cost a lot. So Honda made the Hornet to have the most performance bang and still be in that class.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My buddy has one and it's his favorite bike of the four he owns. Of course he doesn't own a burgman. Says he never will. He's a "real" motorcyclist. Lol. Whatever.

But he's pushing 60 and can still tear it up with that 919!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My buddy has one and it's his favorite bike of the four he owns. Of course he doesn't own a burgman. Says he never will. He's a "real" motorcyclist. Lol. Whatever.

But he's pushing 60 and can still tear it up with that 919!
Fortunately I owned Burgman's before I bought "real motorcycles". So I'm on my third and had this mid life change of wanting a naked sports bike too. The 919 is an exciting bike to ride with tons of low end torque and yet roll on acceleration is linear and not crazy fast. It's fast alright but so easy to ride and manageable. It's like a gentleman's crotch rocket. BTW, I'm 64.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Dan did you get to go down FM1805 on the way home and if so how did it do on the corners?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan did you get to go down FM1805 on the way home and if so how did it do on the corners?
I did Craig and it was worth the detour. That was a fun little loop. Bike feels amazing in the twisties. It's got so much engine braking I can nearly ride without using much brake.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 919 is a fine bike. I really like my 650 Burgman and 400 Majesty, but my FZ1 still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, even after nine years. Power and speed are always appealing -- except when my neck/hips/knees start complaining. You'll enjoy the Hornet, but the Burgman will still have its charm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Burgman became my GW replacement. It has nearly the same storage with a top box and can keep up all day long when riding in a group. I still ride with a GW group with my Executive. And the comfort and riding ergonomics are designed for touring. Nice to have options for touring and street riding.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I sure do have a strong appreciation for the 919. I once owned an '83 CB1100F for 12 yrs. The 919 reminds me alot of that bike. Raw, pure power, and naked motor. So 2 yrs ago, I came across a mint red '07 919 w/ 1000 miles on it, in my city too. The '07's the last yr of its production, so this bike was in beyond mint condition, garage kept, and it didn't have but maybe 5 hrs riding time on it tops. Lady was the original owner, and she wanted $5500. I offered $5000. Cash in hand too. but she wouldn't budge. So I walked away, and couple days later, w/ cash still in hand, I bought an '07 883 Sportster w/ 1000 miles for $4800. Also beyond mint condition. Fuel injection, rubber damped motor, downright mean and nasty. Then she called back, and said she'll sell for $5k, but it was too late. By that time, I was having too much fun terrorizing the 'hood on the sportster.

One of these days, I'll find a low miles, mint 919 to buy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you missed out on a good one. There are others though and prices are reasonable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts