Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WelI, I picked up a new project last week. A 2003 Burgie 650 with 36,700 kms (22,804 miles). It was literally sitting in a field under a m/c cover with two flat tires. The old girl had seen better days. Broken windshield, missing lower back cover, broken brake handle and the grey plastic was white.

Surprisingly, she fired right up. Put some air into the tires and took a test drive. Running rough (old gas?) but she was running and the CVT seemed to be working okay. Runs perfect, the seller said in his ad (lol).

New battery too.

Well, after some negotiation, I paid the princely sum of $500C ($377US) and managed to drive this beauty home. Got the motorcycle cover thrown in.

She actually ran okay once I filled up with fresh gas but at times she felt like she was running on one cylinder.

I’ve had her a week now and been out for a few times mostly around the neighbourhood and she seems to get better with each ride. I still have to change all fluids and filters, replace the windshield and the brake rotors which are (imo) dangerous. Spark plugs etc.

She is cleaning up nice though. You can see where I’ve cleaned half the dash.

Having a tough time sourcing parts as a lot either aren’t available right now or they don’t ship to Canada. I’m going to post some of the parts I need so any of you who might have squirreled something away may be able to help me out.

Here are some pics below.

Glad to have a Burgie again.

·
Administrator
18,697 Posts
That screen looks like a 7joruc in extra tall.

There are wipe on black dyes that work well. I use "Forever Black Bumper & Trim" and it comes as a kit. Check Amazon

That left rotor is toast. I bet the other side is not much better. Bet the calipars are gummed up. The 2003 rotors are 4 bolts, 2004 and up got 5 bolts. But EBC had them last time I looked.

Your seat is splitting. There is a nice one about 280 km's (175 miles) south of you but getting across the border is a problem and shipping costs may be high. If you could ride down its yours. I also have a GIVI screen here.

Reactions: maccecht

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dave, you called it. All three rotors are pretty much toast. I’m going to replace all three (2 front and 1 rear). Gonna clean up the brakes and likely replace the pads. I’d be happy with EBC but can’t find a place that has the correct one for a 2003 or they’re not available. Found the rear one easy enough but only fronts I can find are in England.

I’m finding the white is coming off the vinyl with a little elbow grease and Magic Eraser. Once it’s clean I’ll put a UV protectant on it.

I’d like to take you up on the offer for the windshield. I’m having difficulty finding any available that will ship up here.

Also trying to find SKF wheel bearings and dust seals. No shipping to Canada, oh well.

I’m gonna hold off on replacing the seat right now as I’m looking at possibly changing it.

Much as I’d love to take a ride down, I’m not going to be crossing the border any time soon. I’ll maybe take a look at some shipping options and see if I can find something reasonable.

Much appreciate your info and your offers. If you want to PM me about a price for the windshield, we can work something out.

Any chance you have the lower rear tupperware piece (you know, the one that always falls off, lol).

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
WelI, I picked up a new project last week. A 2003 Burgie 650 with 36,700 kms (22,804 miles). It was literally sitting in a field under a m/c cover with two flat tires. The old girl had seen better days. Broken windshield, missing lower back cover, broken brake handle and the grey plastic was white.

Surprisingly, she fired right up. Put some air into the tires and took a test drive. Running rough (old gas?) but she was running and the CVT seemed to be working okay. Runs perfect, the seller said in his ad (lol).

New battery too.

Well, after some negotiation, I paid the princely sum of $500C ($377US) and managed to drive this beauty home. Got the motorcycle cover thrown in.

She actually ran okay once I filled up with fresh gas but at times she felt like she was running on one cylinder.

I’ve had her a week now and been out for a few times mostly around the neighbourhood and she seems to get better with each ride. I still have to change all fluids and filters, replace the windshield and the brake rotors which are (imo) dangerous. Spark plugs etc.

She is cleaning up nice though. You can see where I’ve cleaned half the dash.

Having a tough time sourcing parts as a lot either aren’t available right now or they don’t ship to Canada. I’m going to post some of the parts I need so any of you who might have squirreled something away may be able to help me out.

Here are some pics below.

Glad to have a Burgie again. View attachment 91385 View attachment 91386 View attachment 91387 View attachment 91389 View attachment 91391 View attachment 91392
Good find. I reckon with some effort and TLC it'll be worthit.

Peter

·
Registered
418 Posts
that poor thing needs a lot of love.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, things are progressing on my project Burgie. I’ve ordered all three brake rotors (2 front and 1 rear) EBC brand. Regrettably, I had to order one front and the rear from a Canadian distributor and the other from England. Apparently, everyone is out of stock or doesn’t ship to Canada (or shipping costs are way too high).

Also ordered wheel bearings and seals but couldn’t find one supplier with everything in stock. New CVT filter and air cleaner (oops, air cleaner out of stock).

Now I’m just waiting on parts and tidying up the Burgie. Decided to buff out the dash glass and it came out well. I’ll remount it tomorrow.

Some before and after pics and one in case you were wondering what’s behind the glass (well, plastic), lol. The last pic is the finished product ready to be screwed in.

Coming along, coming along.

·
Administrator
18,697 Posts
I wish this Covid was gone and the border was open.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Be gentle and you should be able to wash air cleaner enough to get you up and running.

Then follow this trail of wisdom:

·
Registered
137 Posts
So where I'm from (South Africa), they use the word "shame" also for "shame on you", but folks down there also will say "oh shame" meaning pity on you, like in "oh shame did they steal your Burgie?)
So then I can say oh shame, poor Burgie, you look abused. Zman, I love the stories that come with restoration projects. Please keep us posted, I can't wait for the day that your Burgie is a shining example of what TLC can do. I do suspect that further gremlins will crawl out the cupboard the more you ride. Have fun, restoration is more fun than entertaining the missus because it can last for hours and hours :sneaky::sneaky:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts