Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, you just can't get through an intersection. Traffic is not moving, for one reason or another. Maybe people are blocking the intersection. Maybe you're just on the non-favourable side of the light and even when it is green people can't go. You can wait for 5 or 6 cycles of the light and still go nowhere. You can easily sit there for 20 minutes or more.

This happened to me recently a few weeks ago, and after waiting through 5 cycles of the light without moving, I decided to just turn the bike off, get off the bike, and push it along the curb past the cars that where not going anywhere either. I pushed it for about 10 car lengths, plus a school bus. When I got to the intersection, I determined the issue was a combination of people blocking the intersection and being on the unfavourable side of the light. At any rate, there was nothing to keep me from just pushing the bike through the intersection, so I did. Then I got back on, started it up, and I was able to easily get into traffic and be on my way. Had I not done this - I'd probably have wasted another 20 or more minutes at that light.

I did it again this morning - leaving out the details, but if I had not done it, I would have EASILY wasted another 20-30 minutes dicking around, trying to get through there.

This advantage of pushing, rather than trying to filter through - is that filtering is illegal (here) and drivers are nasty and will likely do what they can to screw you if they see you're filtering to get ahead of them. But if you get off the bike and push - well, at that point, you're just a pedestrian, pushing something along. Nothing wrong with that. You're less likely to piss off other drivers too, avoiding nastiness and road rage and whatever. A lot of people may figure you're broken down or out of gas, and have sympathy for you - until they notice sometime later that you get back on and ride :)

Anyway - just thought I would share.

ag

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good idea....better yet, how about just walking besides it and throttle the motor so it does all the pushing for ya.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good idea....better yet, how about just walking besides it and throttle the motor so it does all the pushing for ya.
Because I think the police would deem that illegal (and find some way to charge you with something). Very different from just pushing it while it is off completely.

Plus, it's hard to look like you're out of gas or broken down when you have the engine running.

FWIW, this morning, I was walking it down a big-assed hill and using the brake to keep it under control. Not much pushing involved :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
filtering is illegal (here) and drivers are nasty and will likely do what they can to screw you if they see you're filtering to get ahead of them.
I never quite get that mentality. Why do drivers get mad? Bikes are relieving traffic pressure when they're filtering and lane splitting. We're providing a solution at no cost to the government or society. No extra lanes need be built, no Carpool lanes designated, nothin'... Just let us take advantage of the gaps that are there.

Alaskaguy, CA is pretty good about the filtering thing, cops don't ticket and drivers don't even notice it's so widely done. So pushing a bike is not really relevant here. Plus as the song says... Nobody walks in LA.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never quite get that mentality. Why do drivers get mad?
Because people are selfish and they don't want someone else getting ahead, even if it costs them nothing. They're also not generally rational or logical.

Alaskaguy, CA is pretty good about the filtering thing, cops don't ticket and drivers don't even notice it's so widely done.
California is the exception. That stuff generally doesn't fly in the rest of the US.

Generally speaking, nothing I will say is relevant to California :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Filtering and riding on the shoulder are illegal here also. I was sitting at least 1/2 mile stopped during a backup from a light due to a train crossing. Here came a MC cop down the paved shoulder slowly at maybe 10-15mph. I live in red neck land and sure enough one of those "types" pulled out of line to block the MC trying to get ahead. Police have the right of way in this state and he had his flashers on as required in the breakdown lane. Bubba in his pickup almost hit the cop as he waited until the officer was almost to him and cut across the shoulder to the guardrail. Poor move. He was still sitting there having a conversation with the cop as I finally went thru the light. I will not filter here even if it becomes legal as the local morons would either spit on me or open a door to get money in a lawsuit. Tort reform will never make it thru the legislature here.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor move. He was still sitting there having a conversation with the cop as I finally went thru the light.
That's awesome! :)

I used my maneuver again today - probably saved me 10-15 minutes on top of a 20 minute ride (a rather large percentage). Instead of riding around a rather large couple of blocks (1300 feet according to Google Maps) in morning rush-hour traffic (and hitting 6 lights in the process), I got off and walked it maybe 100 feet down the side walk on a one-way street, to the on-sidewalk (sort of) motorcycle parking lot. Saved a ton of time and hurt NO ONE.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is it thus much jammed in Alaska now? :eek:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it thus much jammed in Alaska now? :eek:
If I were still in the paradise known as "Alaska", I would have no traffic complaints. However, I live in the shithole known as "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." Traffic is a serious problem here.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sometimes I seem to know what you mean, but it's kinda a general process now. Tons of dirty money with their owners flowing to the Northern part too. People who were born and lived here can do nothing about it but watch.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes I seem to know what you mean, but it's kinda a general process now. Tons of dirty money with their owners flowing to the Northern part too. People who were born and lived here can do nothing about it but watch.
?????

·
Administrator
18,695 Posts
Alaska Guy, Please put "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" in your signature. This is about the 4th time others think your still in that big state up north by your name.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I love how relaxed the police in AZ are about it. I was lane splitting down the highway during rush hour between the HOV and left lane and was cop checking the whole way. Well, I saw a cop right ahead and it scared the you know what out of me and I ducked right behind him. Not even a block of an eye from him. I also lane split right past a cop on the on ramp to the highway one day. Again not a blink of an eye. Yet, I did it on the 400 with the overly loud pipe and a motorcycle cop told me like I was a toddler to wait my turn in line and not to do it again. Ugh. Some motorcycle cops just aren't cool about it. But maybe I'll try your pushing method one day

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some motorcycle cops just aren't cool about it.
It's not the cops I worry about. Don't care about them at all. It's the moron nasty drivers who will do anything to keep someone else from getting ahead, even if it doesn't hurt them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's not the cops I worry about. Don't care about them at all. It's the moron nasty drivers who will do anything to keep someone else from getting ahead, even if it doesn't hurt them.
I saw a program on the study of people in lines. Disneyland and others pay to learn how to make them more tolerable. The number one complaint people had was others cutting in line. It drives people batty to have someone cut ahead of them.

Traffic is essentially a line and lane splitting is essentially perceived as cutting the line.

But in actuality, we're not. Bikes are really just creating another line. Hence no real reason to get upset.

Somehow, we've convinced Californian drivers that this is a good thing and I never really see anyone get mad, to the point of cutting you off. Actually, many drivers give you more room now. It's really cool to lane split and have people parting just to make your ride better. It is possible folks.

(FYI, curious phenomena you may not realize, but I rarely worry about cars when I lane split now. I'm actually more concerned about other bikes coming up behind me. I always check my mirrors, grab a lane and wave them past. Just being courteous to my fellow riders. Good thing too, had a MC cop pass me today. Pays to be nice).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It drives people batty to have someone cut ahead of them.

Traffic is essentially a line and lane splitting is essentially perceived as cutting the line.
It's because people are self-centered. They figured if they had to wait 20 minutes, so should you, EVEN IF you NOT waiting actually REDUCES their wait time!

Somehow, we've convinced Californian drivers that this is a good thing and I never really see anyone get mad, to the point of cutting you off.
And that is a miracle. But it has been this way so long, it's been culturalized. It's the one positive thing I can say about CA (well, the other is that it is located far away from me). On the flipside, everywhere else has been culturalized NOT to do this - and changing culture is very hard. I firmly believe that if today it were allowed everywhere, the news would be saturated with stories about road rage stemming from lane splitting and filtering.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts