Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Yesterday I took delivery of a new 2011 Burgman 400. So now the fun of customizing it begins! I put like 2.5 miles on it yesterday night so here are some initial observations:

1) Feels really solid on the road. I am coming from a Yamaha Zuma 50cc so that isn't suprising I guess. But a great ride with good power and stopping ability to match. Sweet!

2) The headlights are not so great for the 30 feet directly in front of the bike. This is a concern in the pothole-rich Pacific Northwest where the potholes flourish. On this forum I have seen some LED bullet lights mounted low on the front fork to address this. I can see this mod in my future.

3) The lack of clearance between the power plug and the door in the front storage has been ranted about in this forum so let me just add a big "stupid design" comment to that topic.

4) I expect to add a GIVI box. My wife likes the backrest and I like the additional brake lights mounted up high.

5) Nice to have a light in the under seat storage. Does it go out when closed (like a refridgerator)? I fear killing my battery by leaving the light on.

This is my first big scooter and, besides the tiny-yet-incredibly-fun Zuma, the only motorcycle-like thing I have ever owner. Hope to learn here and on the road. Looking forward to fun times ahead on my new Burgman.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
5) yes it's supposed to go out when you shut it. Most of us leave the switch to the OFF ALL OF THE TIME position. Or remove the bulb.

Welcome to the Burgman Grin club. :) Yes it's a surprising bike!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought a new, left over 2011 400----they are trouble free, but at 20,000 miles expect front pulley/rollers to be shot, I did get 20,000 out of belt. Bike is tire sensitive, GIVI box fine but adds a lot of high rear weight to already bike that already is heavy towards rear.

Put quick 5-10,000 miles on it before you starts wasing money on mods-----stock windshield horrible, period. GIV adjustable works best and ain't cheap.

My take after TMAX/Silverwing600/ReFlex/Helix and lots of new bikes and over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles---Burgman 400 is not the best handling maxi-scooter and needs to be watched/respected.

Have fun. Test and get feel of ABS on non-busy road..... Can save your bacon in wet/slippery conditions.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Lots of Luck pdxstriper. At 6.6K miles, my 2007 just started running as smooth as glass at every start. Even in the 30's F. I guess it's 'broken in' now. You probably know this but Burgies don't like front brake use at parking lot speed turns. Don't ask me how I know this. :D ENJOY! :cheers:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!

Another option for mounting lights, is to put them just under the headlights. It gets them up a little higher and allows them to be aimed a little farther down the road without blinding oncoming drivers. Here's a tutorial on how I did it.
www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=53668

And the underseat lighting is handy...but as mentioned earlier, most of us turn it on and off manually. The last thing you want to find out, is your seat didn't close right and left the switch on...and your battery dead. The only way to start the bike after that, is to jump it.

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
I keep the switch for the under seat light all the way to the right and I turn it on and off manually.
I've had my new 2012 Burgman 400 for a month now and I have about 350 miles on it. I'm looking forward to being able to open it up more and more for longer periods of time as I put more miles on the odometer. I like the way it handles, but It feels more like a big scooter than a motorcycle. I have a Zuma 125 and the Burgman handles more like a bigger version of that that than a motorcycle. I had a Yamaha Tmax, but I sold it after only a couple of months because the high and wide seat was starting to be a PITA dealing with because I'm only 5'5" tall. The Tmax felt like a very well handling motorcycle where the Burgman 400 with its more rearward weight bias feels more like a big scooter.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the new Burgman 400. My wife finds it so much more comfortable to be a passenger on it than she did the Tmax.

One complaint, the owner's manual for the Burgman flat-out sucks. Thank God for this forum!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Timbo64 said:
...where the Burgman 400 with its more rearward weight bias feels more like a big scooter...
Most owners seem to sit straight up, or lean backwards against a backrest. I lean forward slightly in what I think is a "sport touring" seating position. It puts more weight on the front wheel, which seems to help.

Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
Thanks for all the great feedback. It will take me a while to absorb it all.

I tried my Battery Tender that uses a cigarette lighter socket to charge my Zuma (note: I added this to the Zuma). Come to find out the OEM cigarette socket on the Burgman is wired through the key. So looks like my first modification will be to wire a female cigarette socket to the battery which I will let flop around in the left side of the lower storage area directly aft of the battery. So I'll have one keyed and one 'always hot' socket. Not bad.

I looked over the road light reply - great write-up, thanks! - and got a bit scared. Thinking I may work on a Magellan Roadmate nav system mount. I use this on my Zuma (I know...silly huh?) and think I will attach to Burg using one of those brake reservoir/ball socket units. This will require the aforementioned soket as the door won't close using Magellan plug with the OEM Burgman socket.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
pdxstriper said:
Hi
So looks like my first modification will be to wire a female cigarette socket to the battery which I will let flop around in the left side of the lower storage area directly aft of the battery.
Some heated gear makes use of a 12v female outlet. If you think you may go that route, why not run the connector to an exterior location suitable for such use?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scooter_Maniac said:
pdxstriper said:
Hi
So looks like my first modification will be to wire a female cigarette socket to the battery which I will let flop around in the left side of the lower storage area directly aft of the battery.
Some heated gear makes use of a 12v female outlet. If you think you may go that route, why not run the connector to an exterior location suitable for such use?
I thought about it but am concerned that all the 'gear' would be exposed to the elements. By keeping the socket in the glovebox my iPhone & iPhone charger stay completely inside and dry. For the Nav system I will have to either snake the wire out the door or weave it thru the maze of plastic covering the handlebars.

Don't mean to sounds like I know what I'm doing here. Just making it up as I go along.

One question I thought of: Where are folks placing switches for option electronic gadgets? For example the running lights should be switched on/off. Usually on a boat or car this is easy. On a scooter there are only so many places for easy access with both hands on the bars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I came up with this pretty cool way to make use of the 12v plug while keeping the glove box door closed and all the contents inside secure and dry... using a 3 way 12v power hub I picked up at a local auto parts store. Also, with an additional mini USB 12v plug inside, you can charge multiple USB gadgets (iPhone, GoPro Hero3, Camera, etc.) simultaneously.

I snaked the Garmin power cable (original cable necessary for traffic updates on my Garmin) out behind the battery opening and up and around the front fork to the left side handlebar. I removed the plastic covers, zip tied the power cable along the tubing, and pulled out the usb end along the brake reservoir opening. I left enough slack on the cable to hook it up to the GPS. It's clean looking and you really have to look for it to see it.

This is what it looks like inside the battery compartment, the 3plug 12v is secured in place with heavy duty velcro - I can easily remove it to get to the battery terminal.

U-bolt RAM mount on the left mirror stem. I've turned the RAM mount upside down so that you don't realize right away that there's a knob to tighten or remove the cradle - I'm just trying not to make it so simple for someone to abscond with it! LOL (I've since added black zip ties to hold/keep it shut in place.)

This is what it looks like from the front. Notice the glove door is tightly closed as the mini plug does not prevent it from closing or locking at all.

I don't ride during the cooler or winter months so I don't know how well it would work for heated gear, but for all other small electronics it's just great!

Hope this helps if you are still having trouble with your install :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
I ended up using a 2 power plug+2 USB port unit I got from Amazon.
[attachment=0:1nshml6r]multi-charger.jpg[/attachment:1nshml6r]
I mounted it in the right-side cubby - the deep side - up against the outside wall where it takes very little space. I ran the charge cable straight into the factory power plug - so the charging unit goes on/off with each turn of the key. I stole/borrowed a Magellan 1212 unit from my wife (!), plugged it into the multi-plug unit, drilled a hole in the back of the storage cubby and ran the cable out and thru dash and finally out the gap by the gauges. I used a grommet and silicon sealant to make sure no moisture gets in thru the hole in the cubby.

Mounting the Magellan was very easy. It turns out this Magellan unit does not use a 1" ball; rather it uses a 17mm ball. I found an adhesive backed stand with a 17mm ball and mounted it very cleanly on the right side dash where it clears the handlebars nicely. See below:
[attachment=1:1nshml6r]Magellan.JPG[/attachment:1nshml6r]
I am very happy with the position of the unit. It is a bit out of the weather back below the windscreen and not as 'in my face' as the ball mount on the brake reservior solutions. It has held up well so far (only 100 miles since installation). I really like the Magellan user interface as well. With the Magellan plugged in full time I have one unused power-plug, plus 2 USB plugs. One of the USB plugs has an iPhone charging cable so I can charge my iPhone while underway.

Pete

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts