Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been gathering numbers for several weeks now and I think I can call it - 58.8MPG city{close enough to tell everybody 60MPG}.

My lowest was 57.4MPG and my best was 61.2MPG. Of coarse this was not 100% perfect scientific testing and so there is a large margin of error. This is totally city riding but it does include several stretches of 40-45MPH roads. Not quite as good as my old Zuma but good enough that I am happy{plus my Zuma only went 35MPH tops!}.

I am a bit confused as to the range and tank size though. According to the specs the tank is 3.4 gallons but I can't get it to take that much. The best I was able to get in there was 3 gallons and that was with just a tiny bit left in the tank{definitely not 4/10 of a gallon!}. I did find out that to fill the tank to max you can't use the center stand, it lifts the rear and pushes the gas forward.

This leaves me with; what is the max range? At 60MPG and a 3 gallon tank the maximum range would be 180 miles. I would assume that the MPG would improve at highway speeds but are you all having to stop every 200 miles? Out here that can be a problem as it can be nearly that far to the next gas station.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the 19 gram sliders installed on mine, and mainly do half and half city vs. highway. I lean more toward highway. I'm getting 75 mpg and I've gone 250+ on a tank and only put in maybe 2.8 or so. Can't remember off the top of my head. But, I would say to try the sliders and see how the mpg goes up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I run 14 gram sliders in my K05, I have a 6 mile rural commute and I am getting 60-62 MPG, I fill up at about 180 miles and usually put 3 gals. in. At this point the gauge is showing "E"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Be careful about that assumption of increased MPG at highway speed. It is true for up to about 65 mph but, above that it will start falling off and, at 75-80 mph freeway speeds, can be significant.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The tank is 3.4 gallons. When I ran mine empty it took that much to fill it back up.

You can force in more fuel by rocking the bike to burp the air above the bottom of the filler neck out of the tank. Doing that you can get in another couple of tenths. I would no do it unless you are planning to run the bike far enough to burn off that excess fuel before letting it sit.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Be careful about that assumption of increased MPG at highway speed. It is true for up to about 65 mph but, above that it will start falling off and, at 75-80 mph freeway speeds, can be significant.
That is very true. When I ran my tank empty I was running it at 75 to 80 mph trying to see if it would suffer the oil consumption issue others have. It didn't use any oil but it used a lot more gas and I ran empty short of my destination.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here in Brazil the Gasoline is 75%gasoline+ 25%ethanol so my K6 with original sliders makes 23km/lt driving around 110km/h in highways , (I drive alone)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks all! It seems like I got about the same results as everybody else. There may have been more in the tank than I thought. Looking at the parts diagram, the tank is slightly lower at the rear than at the front where the filler is. Also the "rocking" trick Buffalo suggested might give it a bit more.

If I plan any trips I will have to figure out possible gas station locations. 75mph is the fastest speed legally allowed in New Mexico and not all highways allow it, mainly just the interstates. I will not be running like a racer since I am new to it and I don't want a ticket. So I will try to keep my speed to the posted limits. Of coarse I have to get a tall windshield before that. Probably won't be till next spring before I take my first long trip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remember the speedo's on the Burgers register about 5 MPH fast. 80 =75 MPH in reality. The odometer is dead on though.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Remember the speedo's on the Burgers register about 5 MPH fast. 80 =75 MPH in reality. The odometer is dead on though.
Actually they read about 9% to 10% fast so 80 on the speedometer is really about 72 or 73.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I usually get about 55-60mpg. That is mostly on the freeway at 60-65mph. My work commute is 13.1 miles each way with just a bit on city streets. The rest is county roads and freeway. I did run dry one time with 177 miles on the tank and about a mile from home. :-( I burp the gas tank at every fill up just to get those few extra miles.

On the freeway I find 6,000 rpm = 60 mph, 7,000 rpm = 70 mph. On city streets this does not work at the lower rpms, but the highway speeds it is pretty spot on.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I was amazed this past weekend when I let my much lighter friend use my 400. I'm usually in the 55-60 mpg range, he got over 67 mpg on the same bike.

So to a certain extent, asking about mpg numbers is meaningless unless cross referenced with the rider's BMI indicator. Lol. Like any of us would cop to it. :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trust me I do know that rider weight will affect mpg and speed. I am 250lbs and it slowed me down a lot on my old Zuma. I was about 5mph slower and got 10-15 mpg less than a teen on the Zuma forum who weighed 100 lbs lighter. I figure with a 400cc it shouldn't be quite as big a problem however but I bet it does have an affect.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was thinking about getting the t-shirt. I get the 60MPG but have yet to have it up to 90MPH.

But I think I will make my own. I just recently bought a vinyl cutting machine and it came with some t-shirt heat press vinyl. I have done some vinyl for walls and signs but have yet to try the shirt stuff yet. BTW if anybody is interested in trying vinyl cutting look into the Silhouette Cameo, great little machine for under $300, software included.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here in Brazil the Gasoline is 75%gasoline+ 25%ethanol so my K6 with original sliders makes 23km/lt driving around 110km/h in highways , (I drive alone)
I have read from several sources, any thing over 10% ethanol is very hard on plastic and rubber engine parts. What changes were made to your Burgman to run such a high concentration (25%) and what is the point of running 25% ethanol?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts