Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of pictures of my reworked stock seat. And I agree with what you are saying. Seems like everyone is chasing the elusive perfect View attachment 89540 aftermarket seat when the answer may simply be to rework the stock seat. There are a lot of hot rod builders out there who utilize a custom upholstery expert to create some amazing things. A scooter or motorcycle seat is a piece of cake. The one photo of the underside of the seat is sort of hard to understand. But a seat builder would probably get it. As I mentioned earlier the plastic bucket from within the butt pad was sort of turned over and used as the foundation for the new seat back area. Only thing I might have done differently is to figure out how to incorporate a back rest some how. And don't waste your time with a gel pad. Also, I would try to put a little more upturn on the edges or sides of the seat. More of a bucket to sit in with some side hip support. Sort of like the Russell seat. View attachment 89541

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks tommyh and Dave_J,

This thread is for guys that don’t want to spend close to $800+ for a Brand Name Custom Seat.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
I can post a few pictures of my modified stock seat. It is wider and lower.

And the one on my Burgman is too.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I wonder if a local shop could modify a Corbin. They may not want to deal with the pop rivets holding the cover on. I know I could send it back to Corbin but two-way shipping could easily be a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I wonder if a local shop could modify a Corbin. They may not want to deal with the pop rivets holding the cover on. I know I could send it back to Corbin but two-way shipping could easily be a couple hundred bucks.
Are you wanting them to change the hard wood to a soft wood ? 😂

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I can post a few pictures of my modified stock seat. It is wider and lower.

And the one on my Burgman is too.
Please 🙏

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you wanting them to change the hard wood to a soft wood ? 😂
Lol! I know what you mean...I actually like (at least don't mind) the firmness, but would like it cut out a little lower and further back, maybe a little more of a "bucket" for my rear end, like mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
Seeing tommyh's pictures, it gives me hope of getting mine modified like that. I don't have a problem so much with the firmness but would like it to be a little lower and have the bucket for my butt moved back slightly. In a perfect world I would like to have an extra seat to try this on instead of using the seat I need today. I do have a few skills but that isn't one of them so I need the practice.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Seeing tommyh's pictures, it gives me hope of getting mine modified like that. I don't have a problem so much with the firmness but would like it to be a little lower and have the bucket for my butt moved back slightly. In a perfect world I would like to have an extra seat to try this on instead of using the seat I need today. I do have a few skills but that isn't one of them so I need the practice.
They say it don’t take much to make a difference ....your grandma’s electric carving knife is a tool of choice for DIY foam cutting.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
Doing upholstery work is one of those skills that is sort of fascinating to me. I probably should have learned to use a sewing machine. All of my sewing projects in the past involved a needle and thread and were more in the nature of controlling the emergency of whatever uniform failure I was experiencing as opposed to actually making something nice.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
I tried to UPS ship a stock seat from Seattle area to Las Vagas and they wanted $300. I have two setting in the garage and the modified one on my 2003 650.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried to UPS ship a stock seat from Seattle area to Las Vagas and they wanted $300. I have two setting in the garage and the modified one on my 2003 650.
Just an FYI on bulky-object shipping. Fastenal (the nut & bolt folks) will handle large object shipping. While I haven’t used them myself, a friend has had a couple of <25 hp Mercury outboard motors shipped to him via Fastenal. Much more reasonably priced than any alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts