Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubbie and I went for our, well, my, first big ride together last weekend, and boy oh boy did we have a blast! Saw some truly beautiful country and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. I say nearly because about halfway through, I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to sit comfortable on my 400. :oops: In fact, I felt like I had spent the day attatched to a, well, meat tenderizer. I was surprised because i've ridden my hubbie's 650 and his seat is much harder than my own. I didn't expect this as a symptom of a long ride....maybe I'm just too much of a newbie. Any suggestions on simple (i.e. cheap) fixes??

Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Access ... irhawk.htm

http://www.beadrider.com/

I own both. They do seem to help. The AirHawk is expensive, but well made. It will raise you up higher by close to an inch. The Bead Rider does not lift you higher, costs less than 1/3 as much, and is a close second in comfort. I'm measuring comfort by how the ol' butt feels at the end of a long ride. Obviously the AirHawk will feel plusher when you first sit down on it. The Bead Rider does relieve pressure points and increase air circulation under your sit-me-down though.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Paul, the Airhawk site states that their pad raises you 1/2 inch and a friend who uses one gave me a similiar answer. Is that info inaccurate?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Paul, the Airhawk site states that their pad raises you 1/2 inch and a friend who uses one gave me a similiar answer. Is that info inaccurate?
Roy,

It is really up to the rider when adjusting it (how much air you let out). The main purpose of buying it was actually to raise my wife a bit higher on the pillion seat so that her legs would have a better angle to the rear floorboards. I probably have mine set for more than 1/2" due to that, but it is not an easy thing to measure.

When I rode with it myself, it did change my relationship to the windscreen. I sit quite tall, so it put the top of my helmet solidly in the wind, even with the XXL Clearview. That isn't too awful, because it is still smooth air (no buffeting), but wind noise did increase. What I liked less, is that it put me closer to the dash, and made my leg clearance somewhat marginal. It is impossible to sit right on the rear edge of the seat pad for very long because the design & action of the air cushion wants to settle you in a bit forward of that. My shins actually brushed the dash a couple of times. No pain, but too close for comfort.

My situation is different from most riders due to my height and inseam. With the XXL Clearview windscreen, and the butt stop removed from the seat, I am comfortable, but just. I don't have much excess margin to play with. So even if it just raised me 1/2 to 3/4", and took away 3/4" of leg room, that significantly alters my comfort zone. The AirHawk is an excellent cushion, it does provide a bit of air circulation under your butt, and it does soak up some of those minor jolts that get through the suspension. I rode for about 175 miles on it the first full day that I had it.

Then the Bead Rider package came. It doesn't alter my riding position, it provides good air circulation, and it does relieve pressure points. It does at least 2/3 of what the AirHawk did, but without changing my ergonomics.

So I think the Bead Rider will be my choice for the front seat, and I think my wife will enjoy the AirHawk as passenger. If I was an inch shorter, and my legs were also an inch shorter, I probably would have prefered the AirHawk for my use as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
I think sitting for any length of time, will get you to be a bit "squirmy". I have installed gel pads, and added softer foam to the front 1/2 of both seating positions. The modifications help a lot, but we just take a break when we need to, weather its 1/2 hr or 2 hrs. when we're riding.
Some days are better than others, I found windy days tire you out sooner than calm days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts