Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Burgman USA forum members... this should be my last post, as I will be ending 50 yeas of riding two wheels. I have enjoyed the posts of some very knowledge people, with LeDude taking the crown; I enjoyed his stories and photos... and also enjoyed and graciously acknowledge the help I got from fellow members, in particular when the primary pulley sensor failed... and where to get one ASAP, as none was in the country (that is Australia) at the time.
I had many bikes in my life, and having enjoyed no speed limits in my earlier life (having grown up in Germany), I never thought I would end up on a scooter. How I got there is a story of its own, but in short: I got a 250 Honda Foresight in 1999 after migrating to Australia mainly because it maxed out at 120km/h preventing me from collecting too many speeding tickets (given the 100km/h speed limit in most states). I still collected a few tickets, but such is life.

My 2009 AN650A is now for sale, more so out of necessity than voluntarily, but again, such is life.

Again, thank you for having me as a fellow member, I wish you all the very best; ride safely... and enjoy the moments on your Burg.

Cheers, Max

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Max, a sad so-long. Sounds like you've had a helluva ride. Be safe and thanks for being part of the community.

·
Registered
346 Posts
MaxG,

Hopefully this isn't really your last post. Even if you are not currently riding, your 50+ years of riding wisdom should not be put in a drawer and hidden away. I'm sure you will have positive input to the forum in years to come.

Wish I could do a fly and ride to buy your bike. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I understand where he is at regarding riding. Been riding 52 years and have been considering giving it up myself. Not afraid of dropping the bike, I can still hold it up just fine. Has more to do with me safely riding as I just don't have the reflexes I used to have. I see people driving and texting almost every time I get in my car here where I live. I think that the road is getting more dangerous every day.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
+1 on what DouginKy just posted. I'm 76 now & had a very close call last summer that got me to thinking that I might be getting too old for a 2 wheeler. However the 650 is still in the garage awaiting Spring, and I still can't wait for the warmer weather to arrive. I guess I'll know when my time comes to hang it up, but as long as I feel I can ride safely I'll continue to do so. Best of luck to Max!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm only 67 and love my Burgman 650, and even though I don't really want a Can Am I keep looking at them knowing I will eventually get one.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Max thank you for letting us know and while we fully respect your decision to hang up your riding goggles we would appreciate it if you continued your membership and shared your knowledge.;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, age is not the reason for giving up; I was made redundant in Dec 2012; eventually sold the house to get rid of the mortgage, and no longer have the cash to justify two wheels in addition to the car. I have also changed my lifestyle to run a self-reliant life in the country, which was the best thing I have done. I am owner-building a house, completed the shed, and manage the land as we go along, fresh air, no bills for water, sewer, an soon electricity. Marvelous! :) For those interested, check out my going bush pages.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Best Wishes Max, sounds like quite an endeavor you're off on now! :)
I've thought about doing something similar myself, but don't think I could pull it off by myself... :p

Stop by and let us know how you're doing, sorry I don't know you better.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish." :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Max, I'm in Sydney, Australia. I recently returned to Australia after living and working in Detroit, Michigan. There's a lotta Harley Davidsons on the Interstate freeways there (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee) -- how much do you want for the Burg?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been riding for 50 years too - not quite ready to hang up the helmet just yet but its in the back of my mind to do so - some day down the road.

I've been retired for 12 years now (I'm 67) and enjoying life immensely. Especially riding the Burgman and golf. But the old back problems are surfacing again - I'll have to see what the Doc says after an MRI next month - I haven't had one in 20 years and it seems things may have 'shifted' somewhat. After a 17' fall onto concrete in 1979 - landing on my butt and compression fracturing 4 vertebrae these things are bound to give some problems on occasion. No longer being able to get a leg over my last Harley was just the start of a new phase I suppose. Growing older is a series of compromises!

Stay in touch when you can Max - the more the merrier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm going to miss you, MaxG. You need to know how much I've enjoyed reading your writings and especially your description of riding around Australia. Beautifully done. A gifted photographer and writer you are. Whoever buys your 650 is getting a bike with a life of history and memories. Blessings in your journey ahead. "A Hui Hou" which means until we meet again. Aloha.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
End of an era.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm soon going to be 71 and I too am dreading the day I have to decide if I have the skills to ride a two-wheeler. Good luck to you and, most of all, be happy.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
MaxG you will be missed. Stop back every now & then to lets us know how things are going. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
No, don't leave! You're going to live in the Australian bush and that means budgies! I would like to see photos of wild bush budgies, if any live around your neighborhood.

They are very plucky and cheerful creatures. I miss my buds from years gone by. The current winds of fortune won't allow me to see them in the wild, so please feed them millet treats if you can.

Here's hoping luck brings you a BW350 to bounce around the property!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts