Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 year old cat recently starting living outside when we moved last October. It has done wonders for her, she was more active and gaining weight and even got along with our dog.

Well today I hear a deep bark, I know it's not the sound of my dog. I open the back door to find 2 huge black dogs tearing my cat apart. Literally. I screamed and they all took off. The cat too. I don't know if the cat ran off or if one of the dogs toted her off. I can't find her and it's been 4 hours so I am assuming her life has been ended in a most horrible way.
Our backyard fence is almost complete except for the one area by the door where this happened. I feel so bad. It happened right where she slept and ate too.

My day has been rotten since I woke up and now I lost my pet due to someone not containing their dogs. Animal control will be called tomorrow and I will start the search for the owners. What if my boy would have been out there playing. I'm sad, mad and not vey hopeful that she's alive anymore.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nancy.
Very few words can offer much comfort , But at 19 shes had a good life
-Don't give up hope just yet, sometimes a cat will go off to nurse it's self.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
That is horrible. I am so sorry to hear about your event. I hope your friend is found and makes it. Even though I put a "tounge in cheek" post up about the cats peeing on my burger, I really like felines. I've had many, and they all have meant a lot to me as yours does to you. I hope it works out. If not, well, like Randy said...19 is a darn loong time to be well cared for. She's had a good life.
VR - Pete.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nancy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and if one of the cats is missing in the morning I worry till it shows up. They have a door to come and go as they please and in the summer a couple of them tend to ramble at night. But so far they always show back up...sometimes late in the day. Still, we worry about them as if they were one of our kids.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it has been over 6 hours and still no sign of her. I looked as far in the wooded lot next door as I could go and could not find her. :cry: :cry: :cry:

As for the fence, the area where it happened is the only place we hadn't put the fence up at. Right now, all motorcycle accessories are put on hold until after we get the front yard fenced as well.

Well I can't cry anymore. Guess I'll do some housework.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My most sincere sympathies. I lost my (always contained) dog two summers back, and sometimes still shed a tear for him.

Often the fastest way to recover is to adopt another, and there are certainly a lot of cats out there who I am sure would appreciate being cared for by someone as loving as yourself. In my case I cannot adopt another, as I have developed an allergy to dogs (and sadly, was already severely allergic to cats.)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nancy,

One of the questions the animal rescue no-kill shelter we volunteer for asks on the adoption application is if you will let your cat out. They will not adopt to anyone who answers YES or MAYBE. Most folks never realize the danger of other animals (just cars).

My heart goes out to you. I have six cats that have become part of my family. My wife does animal rescue, and we place homeless animals, primarily cats.

I almost lost my oldest cat 6 years ago to a HUGE racoon. If your cat is still alive it is most likely traumatised and holding a can of tuna as you search and leaving some out by the door may help bring him/her home. Our prayers are with you.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, thanks everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.
I went out to look one more time and she came hobbling up. :D She has a few punctures from the dog's teeth and his missing some hair. She also has a small limp. But nothing apears to be broken. She won't let me pick her up(guess her stomach hurts too bad) but was very eager to eat. I looked all over for her so I dont' know where she was hiding unless the dog really did tote her off and dropped her somewhere she didn't know. The way those two dogs were tearing at her I could only imagine the worst. Especailly since I couldn't find her.

So, we will be finishing up the last section of the back fence this weekend. so this doesn't happen again.

JohnnyDeath, Yeah I know the danger of other animals way too well. Billy left my kitten outside a few years ago because he couldn't catch it and an owl attacked it. Big owl...bard owl I think is what they are called. I've tried and tried to find her an inside home but nobody seems to want an elderly cat. The fence around the rest of the property is a top priority now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hurray!!!!

Nancy...I just went back to your thread & saw that you found your baby!!!
I am SOOOO happy for you! I hope your baby heals quickly. Take care!

Nancy...as I sit here on the floor with my 14-yr-old female kitty on my laptop keyboard, my heart goes out to you tonight. My sister had a kitty that disappeared for several months. He was an indoor cat & jumped thru the window screen after another cat. We searched the woods near her home every day & never found him. Then, one day we found him about a block from her apt. He was pretty skinny, but he's with her today. So...anything is possible.

One thing I've noticed tho...whenever one baby disappears, another that needs a home always magically appears. They know who the kind, loving people are & you must be one of those people since you love your baby so much. Take care, Nancy!

Susan

·
Registered
428 Posts
keep an eye on her, especially if she has long hair that would hide swollen, abscessed wounds. Seems like every time my cat gets tore up by dogs she gets one or more, usually around the face and head but once at the base of the tail. This requires a vet to lance, drain, clean, and sew up, as well as two kinds of medicine administered twice a day for 5 days, all totalling $350 to $500 in expenses. On second thought, just leave her be, I'm sure she's fine. :lol:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to look her over real good in the daylight tomorrow. she has really thick hair (she is 1/2 persian) but she ate 2 bowls of food so I'll see in the morning.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glad to hear that your kitty returned. My fingers are crossed that she is ok.I hope you catch the owners of the loose dogs and make them pay for damages.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Glad to hear you found your kitty. I hope she makes a full recovery soon.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So happy she came home, I had a feeling you would see her again.

I highly recommend a vet visit for antibiotics. If you get her some meds ASAP you can avoid the infection she almost certainly may get. When Dario was attacked he seemed fine for a few days then erupted in a very nasty infection that almost killed him. He had to be put on an IV and have a drain inserted into his wound.

She may seem OK, but better safe than sorry (also much less expensive to catch it before it progresses to far).

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Glad to hear your kitty returned.
We have a cat - would never keep it as a house cat tho' - he (neutred) has the run of the place and can come and go as he pleases and he does. But then without the equipement it cannot be too pleasing! :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
EXCELLENT news!
Whew.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nancy, glad to hear your kitty came back!! They have a way of doing that, even when wounded. We have two dogs & a cat and are quite attached to all of them.

Now that your kitty is back.... on to a related subject.

I'm sure some of you have heard the news about the police killing someone else's kitty here in southern California this morning. This kitty happened to be a 550-lb tiger that apparently wandered off on its own (somebody OWNs this cat). Well, to make a long story short, it was in someone's yard, not posing a threat to anyone. The cat was killed with guns because they said a tranquilizer gun would take at least 10 minutes to work and they "didn't want to take any chances". There's now a flurry of complaints coming in about killing this cat and people are having word wars about whether this was the right thing to do.

I know some of you are going to jump in with your opinions so let me beat you to it with my two cents: I feel the cat should have been shot with a tranquilizer gun, and during the 10 minutes or so that it takes for the tranquilizer to work, if it poses a serious threat to someone's life, that's the time to 'shoot to kill'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts