Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yahoo... I've been trying to get this stuff since last year. As soon as the snow goes...I'll install the screen & E 52... I'll need to fabircate some side mounts for the E 21's ....and I'm away. 156 litres of storage.. Thats a little more than a Goldwing... and half the price. And the wife will join me now that there is a back-rest.
So here's a poll question.... How many of you have installed trunks on your Burgman's ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
BBB

Hey, that storage will be quite beneficial. Just 2 weeks ago I installed the 52 on my Burgy. Probably only two cautions I would suggest to watch for...be reasonably careful when pulling off the upper and lower back covers, and the instructions at least the way I interpreted them did not exactly show that those 3 heavy metal spacers actually are designed to be put through the plastic top cover....after a little deduction....I finally figured that aspect out. The X marks on the underside of the top cover are right on the money. Drill the holes centered right on the X, and you shouldn't have any problem. And then, of course, be reasonably careful when re-installing the top/bottom covers. With regard to the backrest, I may look into a re-design made possibly by my brother(he just doesn't know it yet!). But, by trade, he's an upholsterer...at first glance, the back rest is a somewhat hard rubber....but my wife and I will check it out come Spring....to see if she's going to be comfortable on a 2-3 hour ride. Finally, don't be bummed out if you should break or snap off one of those plastic clips....they're quite cheap to replace, and should be replaced because the overall plastic covers just won't quite fit together without those clips. But our topbox looks great, having purchased the monokey setup....a bit pricey, but in the long run....worth it.
Good luck! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Givi Stuff

Thanx John:
I've had the back cover off allready last year when I installed a home-made rack. So the holes are there. The Givi adapter looks slick...so I don't think I'll have any problems. As for that back rest Hmm. you may be right...it's small and seems cheap. I'm planning on welding up my own top rack for the case..and I'm thinking about adding to the back-rest. Make it higher. I'll wait untill everything is on the bike and We've tested the comfort level. But the wheels are turning up there. I'm also thinking about foldable armrests as well....

·
Registered
394 Posts
blueburgerbob said:
...How many of you have installed trunks on your Burgman's ?
As the picture below shows, I installed a Givi E50 topbox on my Burgman 650. (You can also see the Givi D257ST windscreen and sort of make out my Garmin eMap GPS receiver.)

The E50 is no longer available for purchase, but I had one because I had originally bought it for my Reflex. Too bad you cannot get them anymore. In my opinion I like the look of it better than E52 or E460. The E50 is also less bulky than the E52, yet the capacity is nearly the same. When I bought the case I decided on the non-painted, all black version. Figured that black goes with everything and there was no paint to scratch when I removed it to use it like a suitcase when we stopped. This has worked out well. I think it looks good on my red Reflex and looks great on my silver Burgman. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Givi

Adam... Agreed. The E-50 does look good. funny our set-up looks almost the same on our bikes. GPS and all. Do you power yours though the glovebox plug ? I do. And I went for the back cases too they look good with the blue Burger.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Givi stuff

Hey another BC Burger... Tim I'm not shure what works on the 400. There's a topcase for shure, but the saddle bags ? I've never seen that.
Many have adapted saddle bags on their 650's , but you have to fabricate your own mounts. I rode last year with soft bags hanging from the grab handles & bungied to the under body. It worked but I felt it was a compromise. This year the full meal deal.. I have to in order for the wife to join me.... Luggage thing :roll:
And if the Goose guy gets the photo thing working here then I will post pics for shure. It's going to be a few weeks before I get the bike done. I'm getting a Machinist freind to make side mounts for the Givi E 21 bags.
How's the 400 ? Are you planning any rides this summer? Or maybe going to the Maxi blast in Coos Bay, Oregon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Posting Pictures

Another BCer....actually I have received the 400 yet but I am anxiously waiting. The Coos Bay trip...uhmm...it doesn't look like a camp out and when I went to their site, it appears to be a motel weekend. Have you been to one of these yet? I can be convinced to go if their is some camping or some other draw. I'll take another look on their web page.

As for the luggage, definitely post some pics. I would like to see this for myself but I think the space underneath the saddle and with a small rack on the back, I'll be set for some short trips. Timothy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxi Blast

Tim:
No I have gone to any gatherings as yet..... and I believe you can camp, motel or B&B ... It dosen't matter. We are planing to go... but I'm more interested in the ride down the coast then anything. Haven't been on Hwy 101 since 1979... I'm also looking forward to the social part as well. I just thought it cool if we had some Canadian riders there too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Powering the GPS

blueburgerbob said:
Adam... Agreed. The E-50 does look good. funny our set-up looks almost the same on our bikes. GPS and all. Do you power yours though the glovebox plug ? I do. And I went for the back cases too they look good with the blue Burger.
For the most part I power my Garmin eMap GPS with rechargable AA batteries. The battery charger I use can plug into home current or into the a vehicle's power outlet, so I can recharge extra sets of batteries while I drive if necessary. The exception to this is night driving, when I use the backlight constantly. I do plug it in the glovebox power outlet for that.

Of note, the power plug for my GPS is too long to plug in directly and still be able to close the glovebox door. The solution I used was simply to get a 12-volt socket 'Y' adadapter with six inch lead cables (See picture below). This not only allows me to "aim" the socket so I can plug in my GPS, but it also gives me a second outlet to charge my mobile phone at the same time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
power

That's a great idea Adam. It's realy too bad that Suzuki didn't leave enough room in the glove box for most plugs. Because of that I installed a second plug in my under-seat storage , in the front right corner just behind the gas lift. And I wired it directly to the battery, so the key has no effect. As long as I don't leave anything pluged in for a long time when the bikes off ...no problem. This is perfect for charging the batteries for my camera.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Has anyone on this forum attempted to paint their Givi top box to match the body colour of the burger?

I have the cheapo black lid on mine at present but thinking about colour matching!

Any tips gratefully received.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. Painted top boxes/panniers always get scratched and end up looking like shite. I've had the same unpainted E45 for about 9 years. A little plastic polish and it looks fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts