Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.klauswaldorf.com/scooterstuff/videos/LetsGetLost-LIAM.mp4

Okay, let me preface this by saying I have not been down on a bike since my moped days when I was learning to ride 30-odd years ago.

I was leading a group of 20 or so scoots yesterday down Pacific Coast Highway (beautiful isn't it). I stopped to gather the group before a turn and continued on. Just a little right hander, nothing I haven't done 100k times before. Hit a patch of gravel I didn't see as the color was similar to the pavement and it was very sunny bright... Boom, I'm looking at the sky. It CAN happen to anyone.

So I post this little embarrassing videoed incident as a cautionary tail. ATGATT! As you can see, I was fully riding attired and it literally saved my as.! Also, my leg was pinned under the muffler. I suffered no burns and no road rash. Only a bruised butt and ego.

Too often I see people wearing jackets, gloves, boots, helmet, everything but riding pants. Jeans will do nothing for you in a crash; I've patched up a few people's bloodied knees over the years to know.

So I hope this will inspire some of you to get the proper gear and wear it... Always.

ATGATT = All The Gear, All The Time

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Glad you are okay.

I'm not ATGATT by any means.....more ATGTA ....all the gear that's appropriate.

But I hear you on pants. I've found motocross knee protectors light and comfortable so instead of just wearing them off road in Australia where a hole in my riding pants

and deep gouges on the armor showed their worth.

...I now put them on 90% of the time.
Easy on and off.

I finally found a pair of mesh pants I like and are light enough ...I just wear them over the knee armour and sometimes over lighter jeans if I'm going distance or riding the twists.

My JR mesh jacket has taken all of the light falls off road without issue tho I bought a mesh armored shirt this year as I tend to keep the jacket open due to the heat and the last fall has my shoulder still hurting 9 months later....I suspect the armor did not come into play fully which it would have with the armored shirt that keeps all the joints covered and the armor tight to them.

Looks bulky but it's very light and breathes

My son wears one as well.

Sometimes I just where the shirt other times wear it under the mesh jacket.
WIll get more use in Australia this year as the jungle tracks get hot and after the last washout I;m more conscious of protecting my shoulders and elbows.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most incidences I've experienced or seen in group rides almost always involve the lower extremities (feet, knees, hips and rear) or hands. It makes sense as these are closest to the ground. Of course the majority are relatively minor accidents (i suspect more serious crashes would injure the upper body). But they're all painful, nonetheless. It's a disservice to yourself to neglect the legs and such.

I never had proper riding pants until a friend went down last year and injured his knee. I wrote and thanked him yesterday for getting me to buy them. I hope this post motivates a few to do the same.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Glad to hear you were wearing the gear!
I never leave the house without mine!
Just wondering if your Burgman has ABS fitted?
Trying to decide whether to spend the extra $$$ for ABS on my next Burgman....

Andy

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
While that 97 meg file downloads... I guess I'll tell a story.

I've been an ATTGAT guy for years and I was wearing it all when I had a bad unscheduled get-off in May of '12. It saved my hide - no two ways about it. But the pants gave up their life in saving me, so I got a fresh pair when I started riding again this past October. Couldn't afford to replace the (excellent) FirstGear pants, so I got a cheap pair from CycleGear and replaced them with a better pair of Sedici pants. But then I saw THESE.

I can sympathize with the folks in Oz; I live in Florida and it's bloody hot down here 8 or 9 months out of the year. So I took a chance with these pants and I absolutely love them. Big solid leather panels in the crash areas; the rest is mesh. Keeps me both safe and cool. But the real key is that they're white - they don't absorb heat like the black ones do and it makes a surprisingly large difference. It looks like I'm wearing pajamas (my son says they look like ski pants) but I don't care. The Scorpion mesh jacket is white too. If you get a pair, ignore the sizing info and get them a bit large. I wear 32" pants so I got the overpants in that size. Had to send them back for 34" which work fine. 36" wouldn't have been too large.

Good video - you pulled the front brake as your right foot came off the floorboard, didn't you? Gets me to the ground every time too. I noticed that almost everyone else was wearing jeans. Hope your bike's ok.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear you were wearing the gear!
I never leave the house without mine!
Just wondering if your Burgman has ABS fitted?
Trying to decide whether to spend the extra $$$ for ABS on my next Burgman....

Andy
No it's not abs equipped and I don't think it would have helped. First, I did the majority of my braking before the turn, you can see the brake lights. I don't even think I had my brakes applied. If they were, it wasn't much at that point; I would have been releasing. I wasn't going that fast.

Second, I was in a turn, thus the sliding force would have been side to side on the tire, not forward to back. Modulating the brakes probably wouldn't have done anything.

Like I said, it was a nothing little turn. I wasn't cooking it or anything. Just blip and bang, I'm down.

If anything, it might be attributable to a momentary lapse in attention. Leading large rides can stress ones abilities because you're focused on a lot of things like reading the gps, modulating the ride pace, keeping track of the sweep, planning for places to stop... A bunch of mental gymnastics. And on top of that you have to pilot your vehicle.

I normally would have seen that little patch of gravel. But I didn't. Just take a millisecond lapse.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
One quick lesson from watching the video: Don't put your foot down to try to catch yourself if the bike is moving -- the floorboards can't protect your legs if your feet are sticking out below them.

I'm guilty of that too. One time of note was in an off-camber left-hander, probably at 15 MPH -- the bike stayed up, but my boot's toe caught on the pavement while the heel snagged either the transmission housing or underside of the passenger footrest. If I didn't already have a titanium plate on the distal end of my fibula, it'd probably have broken again there.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I crashed under more or less the same circumstances, and got my left ankle caught under the floorboard edge. Thank god I was able to use the horn to attract attention, so somebody could come and lift the behemoth off me.

Try to fold in the left-hand mirror and put a large sheet of cardboard up against the tupperware, and you will see that the edge of the tupperware is snug against the sheet from one end to the other, meaning that whatever is between the keeled over scoot and the ground will take the bulk of the weight.
Also notice how far up in the air the rear wheel will be, and consequently how much the handlebar will have to be lifted from the ground before the weight is taken off your leg or whatever part of you is stuck under the scoot.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In the video, most of the girls riding pillion and many of the riders are only wearing jeans, good thing that you, wearing ATGATT, ride in front to "take the bullets for the team"

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Liamjs, I'm glad you're okay.

from the video it looks like you were turning wide due to the formation, however for slow turns I'd try to keep my path on the clean side of the turn, meaning following the car path as in most turns the gravel will be outside in the wide part of the turn.

I'm thinking out loud not pointing fingers here, trying to debate whether that would have caused a different outcome anyways.

ATTGAT!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One quick lesson from watching the video: Don't put your foot down to try to catch yourself if the bike is moving -- the floorboards can't protect your legs if your feet are sticking out below them.

I'm guilty of that too. One time of note was in an off-camber left-hander, probably at 15 MPH -- the bike stayed up, but my boot's toe caught on the pavement while the heel snagged either the transmission housing or underside of the passenger footrest. If I didn't already have a titanium plate on the distal end of my fibula, it'd probably have broken again there.
The foot was a muscle memory thing, didn't even know I was doing it. I've only been down once. But I've tapped the payment with my foot to correct minor imbalances 10k+ times. I'm sure at the first hint of imbalance, my brain sends the signal, "send out the foot". Can't say as I could even stop it, it happens so autonomously.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm glad you are doing OK, also glad the gear did its job! I guess the Burg has got more scrapes than you...
Take care!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
As a retired MC investigator for Rider Ins Co. I"ve handled hundreds of accidents involving bikes going down on sand, gravel, and wet leaves on the road where they weren't expected to be. I've seen guys covered from head to toe with road rash because they weren't properly dressed. It only takes one time to get the message, but it 's often a high price to pay. Glad you made it unscathed. Tom

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
WOW!!! Sorry But you know California are the Worst Road Conditions in the Country , You have to ride very carefully, like all roads are bad!! always keep that in mind Liamjs, keep it in mind that there is a Oil spot at every Turn every Corner of road has to be treated like it's bad road!!

Good luck!!

POT HOLE CITY LA

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts