Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I finally got around to installing my little flip shield this morning @ zero dark thirty. I've had mixed emotions because it was so (inexpensive) but not cheap. I always envisioned these little things coming loose, getting airborne as guillotines that would slice your head off in flight. Honestly this and my Grip puppies have been the best money spent for comfort on this Burgman. This installed in the full down position, top angled outward puts the wind over my head (I'm 6') PERFECT and no need to adjust the shield anymore over 60 mph I purchased the small version.

Automotive tire Blue Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Now if I could just find comfort in this darn seat, it's killing me. I removed the operator's backrest, hoping to get more room for my long legs. I gained the room I wanted, although now seat is more uncomfortable. Next step was purchasing an expensive gel pad. This thing is very well made, non-slip contact surface to the seat, nice gel. I took it off in less than 5 miles. I never cared for any type of over the seat pad, gel, air hawk, sheepskin or otherwise. I prefer to sit down as low as possible in the seat, not up high on it. It's a shame, extremely nice pad.
I guess I'll need to suck it up, refuse to spend the cash on a Corbin or Russel.

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Suck it up I did... and enjoyed the morning. Beautiful day.
Breakfast @ My Happy Place.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Plant

Short ride then home to finish some home projects, Happy Wife, Happy Life. I got my sanity ride in and that's all the matters.

Plant Sky Blue Tree Automotive tire

Plant Tree Building Road surface Shade

Plant Sky Azure Tree Leisure

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Hey, @SemBurg :

1) Hmmm, wurst!

That's my typical Americade lunch, right there.

2) Have you tried beads?

I've had them on all bikes for a dozen years or so -- Burgers, the Vic, my new 400 Beemer, etc. -- and like them a lot (obviously). And they're cheap. (I tried a Corbin c. 1997, BTW, and sold it. I tried a used RDL c. 2004, and sold it.) I hope this isn't TMI, but the beads are better if one doesn't have a bony butt.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey, @SemBurg :

1) Hmmm, wurst!

That's my typical Americade lunch, right there.

2) Have you tried beads?

I've had them on all bikes for a dozen years or so -- Burgers, the Vic, my new 400 Beemer, etc. -- and like them a lot (obviously). And they're cheap. (I tried a Corbin c. 1997, BTW, and sold it. I tried a used RDL c. 2004, and sold it.) I hope this isn't TMI, but the beads are better if one doesn't have a bony butt.
I have not tried them and appreciate your input. Gladly accept advice from seasoned riders. I've had the same battles on many bikes and ALWAYS spent too much on gizmos and accessories, swore I wouldn't do it this time around and want to keep this bike. I imagine they would be a bit cooler too, I noticed the gel was hot this morning. It holds your body heat and does not breath, probably good for northerners.

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I have not tried them and appreciate your input. Gladly accept advice from seasoned riders. I've had the same battles on many bikes and ALWAYS spent too much on gizmos and accessories, swore I wouldn't do it this time around and want to keep this bike. I imagine they would be a bit cooler too, I noticed the gel was hot this morning. It holds your body heat and does not breath, probably good for northerners.
Yes, they're cooler, allowing air to circulate. And you don't sit on the seat proper, which for one thing means that you're not sitting on dew or a damp seat in the morning, on away-from-home trips.

The big thing, for me, anyway, is that you're not in one position, since you're constantly moving about, a bit (yet not so much that you feel you're sliding off the bike, or even sliding around too much). They add about a half inch in seat height, btw. Oh, also, on my last set (which I moved from my most recent Exec to my Beemer), I sprang for the upscale ceramic version, as opposed to the wooden version (because the paint eventually wears off the wood).

I did four 800+ mile days on my 2007 (-2012) Exec -- two coming home from MotoGP weekends at Indy, and two coming home from my daughter in Asheville -- and I don't think I could have done them without the combination of beads and (FirstGear HT) overpants. Lots of cushioning -- the overpants and my fat a$$ -- lots of not being stuck in one position. Additionally, I've done a dozen or so 600-mile days, on most (all?) all my scooters and bikes, when riding down to Asheville -- there's a hotel and Mexican restaurant I like, at mile marker 137 on I-81 in VA -- and all those were done with beads.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Water Tire Sky Land vehicle Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bag Grass

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have a sweet ride planned for Saturday, weather looks great and rounded up 4 Burgman 650's. I can't wait, plan on showing them the best of the best Florida riding. Stay tuned.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Florida is huge. I guess, you’re lucky if you live right next to the best of the best riding in Florida 😉
No, I don't live right next to it. it's a two plus hour ride to get to "the ride" We meet for breakfast two hours away then start the ride, end with lunch and head home. I prefer tree covered backroads, not crowded tourist areas.

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
I was going to say, I could be here in 2hrs, but, it's more like 4hrs...to the best ride in Arizona...I hear, never been over there.
View attachment 101625
I rode my 1st Burgman 650 500 miles in a day from Albuquerque NM to Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista AZ back in 2006 and did that twisty road.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Central Florida ride 10/15/2022
Today was the ride I've been waiting for, finally the planets aligned, and some Florida Burgman boys were all able to get together for a great day of riding and enjoy some BBQ together. We all had a great time and will be doing this more often. I led/routed this one and planned a choice of lunch stops although it was unanimous...BBQ. Truly good men and I hope this is the beginning of long friendships. Next ride I'm heading their direction towards Lakeland/Bartow and hopefully pick up Mikey as well. Mikey, they know your bike, have seen it around Bartow without Tupperware, it had to be you.

We will be heading to Ocala next month; I'll reach out to you Ocala riders. One of the guys has a good deal of property which backs up to state land and we can shoot there, dual purpose ride. Bring 'em if you got 'em.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle

Plant Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Plant

Plant community Plant Green Botany Leaf

Water Cloud Water resources Atmosphere Sky

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere

Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I posted on Facebook Burgman group looking for Burgers in my area. They came out of the woodwork... They were all looking for the same thing. Great bunch of men, love their Burgmans, want to ride. We have others from all over the state wanting to ride. We will pick up a couple more on the next ride from the other coast. They have white 2018's... Go figure😂
We drew attention and nice comments from folks every stop.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I worked out ALL my comfort issues. The rider's backrest is re-installed. I gained the leg room I was hoping for without it, although the seat was more even more uncomfortable (like that's possible) even with my overpriced gel & foam pad. I am now using the Jumbo pad which covers the entire seat perfectly. I use the pad over the seat with the factory configuration/backrest. 8 hours in the saddle yesterday and it worked. I'm done messing around, winter is coming and that's my main riding season, that's when I log my miles. Florida heat is only good for short rides or morning rides.

My Ermax windscreen has more lean angle than stock, placing it closer to me. I constantly needed to adjust it at variable speeds (PITA) This inexpensive adjustable deflector shield works well. I now found the sweet spot, it's dialed in and tightened, locked down with lock tight. I brought the allen wrenches due to the long ride yesterday, just in case it loosened. It did not. Yesterday I kept thinking as I was riding my choice of great roads of all my previous motorcycles I have ridden on these very same roads and can easily say this is one fun machine to ride and more enjoyable than any of them. Don't get me wrong, they all have strong points, but this Burgman does everything so well. I was smiling all day and not wishing I was riding anything else, very happy with my Burgman.

Funny thing is, we all have Burgman 650's and each one of us has a different windscreen and height. We all have different seat remedies that seem to work for each rider. The photo of the bikes parked on the bridge shows the bike behind mine had a very large foam cover placed directly on the seat in the pillion position for his wife, then a horse blanket on top. She claims it's the best ride on any bike and they are no rookies. She rolls up the excess and it goes up nest to the backrest and adds even more comfort. Looks pretty cool too, also has leather saddle bags. Everyone was set up a bit differently from gadgets to comfort.
Product Font Rectangle Line Screenshot

Light Product Font Screenshot Technology

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I shared the link for Burgman USA with the men from this ride, I hope to see them here. If they join, please give them a warm welcome. Should all be valuable contributors.

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ozona, Florida Ride 10/20/22

Road to Ozona for lunch today, the wife was having a good day, so I took her along. Nice cool ride, great scenery and lunch.
Font Line Commemorative plaque Signage Facade

Plant Building Window Tree Sky

Lunch was at Molly Goodhead's...fantastic local seafood & bar. All wealthy locals (except me) dressed like paupers and living the good life in Ozona. I had blackened scallops and NOT-DOT had the crab cakes and salad. Best waitress we've had anywhere in eons and the food was amazing. Nice day. Thats me by my Burgman blending in with the bushes.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Plant Sky Wheel Motor vehicle

It's a fun place, very different.

Table Interior design Drinking establishment Barware Chair

Furniture Chair Table Barware Wood

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Rode to Fort Desoto and the Don Cesar today 10/22/22

Took the wife along again, stopped for lunch at Dalys Flame Broiled Burgers. Pictured in the background (squint) is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Skyway Fishing Pier State Park | Florida State Parks

Water Sky Plant Azure Grass

Tire Water Sky Wheel Land vehicle

Then we rode into the sun to The Don Cesar Historic Hotel.

Elegant, Luxury Hotel in St. Pete Beach, FL | The Don CeSar

We successfully avoided all the beach drunks and driving texters and abrupt lane change tourists, arriving home safely...somehow. They were all out to get us today. I try to avoid populated areas; it was just so nice out today.

The Don at the end of the Bridge

Sky Water Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Getting closer

Water Sky Water resources Building Azure

The Don Cesar, we never stayed there but did go for brunch. Nice to do once, for a special occasion but too rich for my blood.

Sky Plant Building Asphalt Tree

· Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Gulf Coast Ride 10/29/2022

Fantastic ride today with a great rider. We spanned four counties along some of the best Gulf Coast riding roads. Nice lunch at the Silver Dolphin Restaurant, gift /nostalgia shop and bakery with Ice Cream bar, very nice off the beaten path. We both enjoyed the fried haddock sandwich. Dan went traditional with homemade tartar sauce and all the fixings; I liked it with hot sauce and dipped in ranch. We both agreed one of the best Fried Haddock meals (Dan is a chef) Lots of stops and sightseeing along the way. He's a great riding partner...nothing upsets him and he's happy to stop and let me take my photo's. Truly fantastic day of riding, two hours longer than I planned as we did so much poking around side roads etc... Things you can't do in a group.
Sights along the way.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Building

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Plant

Careful on this road, some spots get very narrow and there is lots of evidence of cars going into the drink, not much or any shoulder in many spots.

Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Cloud

It was cool enough we ate outside; this place is amazing. Indoor/outdoor on the river, good food and GREAT waitresses.
The Silver Dolphin Restaurant
Silver Dolphin Restaurant | Hernando Beach | Country Store | USA

Thank you for lunch Dan, it was awesome.

Plant Property Leaf Shade Flowerpot

This is outback at the restaurant, I don't understand the significance of it...Halloween?

Water Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Tree

Tire Sky Cloud Plant Vehicle

It's been a while since I've seen it, but these look like snow clouds.
Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Automotive tire

41 - 60 of 96 Posts