Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tire was showing some wear (13K) so ordered a Metzler on line, as they showed a local dealer that would mount a tire. $40. and they would do it all. Decided I'd remove tire my self as it needed a paint job. Was easy removing old finish, as it really is a poor paint. Painted it black and it looks good! Got the tire mounted at dealer for $20. While I was at dealer saw 2 2012 650 Exec. One of them had same wheels as mine, but they were chromed - looked really good. Turns out the bike was used with only a few hundred miles. Guy must have put a few bucks into it before he decided he didn't really want it. They were asking $9100.

Well back to the story. I put the wheel back on and even though I was working in a small area in my garage, I managed to lose the bolt that snugs the front axle. Looked at Ron Ayers where they get almost $4.00 plus postage. Went to a local small hardware store and got one for $.35. Easy job.

Everything looks great. Put some "Ride On" in the tires and after a couple miles, the ride is smooth as silk.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Ya saved an hour labor. If you ride in, they will charge to lift it up, remove the wheel, dismount, mount, balance, replace wheel in the forks. Good to go. :thumbup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
What's Ride On? :?:

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
I remove, dismount, mount new, reinstall and ride. If I can manhandle a car tire onto a Burgman's rear rim, and no cussing, ................. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My new tire experience was more of an adventure than I had planned. I'm almost 69 and decided to take a ride from Atlanta to southwestern Louisiana (550 miles in one day). I left last Monday and while it was overcast and maybe 50 miles of rain, the ride was uneventful. I wore my Frogg Toggs jacket for the first time. Bought it about 2 years ago and the first thing, the zipper broke. Snaps don't do much good as they won't hold unless the zipper is zipped. I expected a sore butt and was not disappointed. I planned on coming back Thursday and left my friends house about 6:30am (very dark time) . I got about 10 miles on a road under repair. All of a sudden, I saw a chunk of concrete in the road. Only saw it about 10 feet ahead and hit it. Of course it was a good impact and after I almost stopped I then tipped off. Got some small road rash and my leg and elbow. I got up and got my machine off in the shoulder. Of course my new tire was flat (Ride On didn't help). While this was a shock, I was at least close to help from my friend. Turned out my rim was very bent, but also split about 6 inches of the rim.

I went to a dealer in Scott, La that was a friend and ordered a wheel and tire overnight. Parts came in Friday 4:30 pm and they had the new wheel ready at 5:30pm. One thing i did learn was how great Ron Ayers is, his prices are much better than the local dealer. Wheel was $571, Ayers would have been about $421. Tire I just bought was $91 total, this dealer was $181. for a original tire. Total for this dealer was almost $900. Getting parts on the internet would have been about $550. WOW!

Ride on seals reasonable size punctures. It is similar to the green stuff, but will not corrode the rim. I ride a Trinity Trike and did all the tires at one time. What really sucks, I had some left over and tossed it as I never expected to need anymore. I will get some more.

Turns out the tire was okay, so my friend to ship it to me.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Terry, I would inspect the tire real well. If it took a shot hard enough to split and bend the rim I think it may have caused internal carcass damage. If you do reuse it make sure you mark he impact area so you can watch for a bulge or blister.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
zeco said:
All of a sudden, I saw a chunk of concrete in the road. Only saw it about 10 feet ahead and hit it. Of course it was a good impact and after I almost stopped I then tipped off. Got some small road rash and my leg and elbow. I got up and got my machine off in the shoulder. Of course my new tire was flat (Ride On didn't help). While this was a shock, I was at least close to help from my friend. Turned out my rim was very bent, but also split about 6 inches of the rim.

Basically the same happened to me in '05 on a group ride. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8939 Saw a pothole at about 45 mph, hit the brakes which compressed the front suspension (bad) and hit a squared edge pothole, boom. But since I work as a mechanic I changed it myself on our tire machine which saved me some more money on the repair.

Glad you are alright and didn't get hurt worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts