Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum and its my first post. I dont own a Burgman yet, but I am really considering it. I have a cb750 honda
( which I love) but my lady wont ride on it. I am considering a burgman
for two up light touring and for me to travel across country if I want. Is that realist for me to think I could go from say Indiana to California if I wanted? I think I just have to get over the "scooter" thin. I cant wait to test ride one. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Welcome,

You won't be dissapointed with the 650 for 2 up touring. It' almost too easy. You can really get spoiled with the automatic tranmission, ride, handeling, storage and power. There are many acc. available to help with any type of riding you would do. Feel free to ask any questions you my have to anyone in the forum. We have a lot of great ideas here, and good luck on your decesion.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have been reading this forum for a little while, and I have to say that it is the most friendly one I have read. I think everyone one here truly likes their Burgmans. I hope you all dont mind me asking a bunch of questions.
I think the 650 is what I am more interested in. My cb 750 has about 75 horsepower and 45 lbs of torque. How does the 650 Burgman compare?
I am sure Ill have more questions later.

Thanks eveybody.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I beleve it's 54 hp., but what you need to remember is with the automatic it's a steady constant power band. You you really need to drive one.
Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Burgman review

Check out the article in Cycle Canada magazine (Jan 04 issue) for the answer to your question. It's a story about a guy touring on the AN650 through British Columbia. From this article, no doubt that the Burgman will do the trick. If you can't get a copy of the magazine, I think that you can order it off the web at

http://www.cyclecanadamagazine.net/

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there JLD and welcome to the forum. My lady friend says that the Burg is so comfy back there that she could fall asleep. The biggest thing about the Burgman is the seamless shifting from the automatic transmission. There's no jerky motion whatsover making the ride better for the passenger. As far as touring the Burgman will hold its own with the Goldwings after you've added extra storage space.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi Jim:

As you will gather from reading the posts, we are a knowledgable and enthusiastic group. We are also mildly bias. LOL

The best advice that I can give you is for you and your lady to go to a Suzuki dealer and "crawl" all over the Burgman. You then need to test ride it.

I sold my Yamaha Venture Royale because of the Burgman. I think the 650 has it all. Add a new windshield, topcase and some form of a communication system and you indeed have a mini gold wing.

I don't regret my purchase and in fact would buy it again without reservation.

Eddie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks everybody for your replies. A mini Gold Wing? Thats just exactly what I am looking for. A friend of mine has a cruiser. Suzuki 1500LC AND a Venture for riding with his wife. He cant understand why I am even considering a Burgman. I will be sure to tell him you sold your
Venture for a Burgman. I could by 2 or 3 Burgmans for the price of one GW. He thinks I should get a LC.
I saw some pictures of a Burgman with a top case and hard saddle bags.
My question is, when these are packed, would there be too much weight
in the rear end. I dont know how the weight is balanced on a maxi scooter. Can any one help? I told you Id have lots of questions.
Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome! I have had my burgy for about 2 weeks. Before this I had a CB900. The 900 may have had a little more punch off the mark, but don't let The "650" fool you.

It was about 50 degrees today and sunny, so after work me and the wife hit the road. With 2 up the burgy has plenty of power to spare and can move if you need it to. Not having to shift is a blessing. Response and handling are fast and smooth. If I had one wish, it would be ...reverse.

My wife says the ride is very comfortable. She really likes the passenger back rest. Too bad it's an accessory and not standard
eq.

Today the odometer went past 100 miles and I am looking forward to warmer days for the daily commute to work and some touring in the hills of southern IN.

It may not fit some, but I beleive I made the right choice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ksmall1998, if you come on further south in Indiana youll be in my area.
Corydon. Have you ever ridden the scenic route from Corydon to Tell City
along the Ohio River? Hwy 62 to Hwy 66? Its about 130 -140 mile round trip. Awesome. My dream is to get a Burgman ( I think you guys have me almost convinced) and ride to Canada and stay awhile. I have never
been there and would like to do it on two wheels. BUT I would like to do it with my better half. Back to my original inquiry about two up etc. Although the cb 750 would do it, I would like more comfort. I have also thought about a bmw, a moto guzzi, an aprilia scarabeo and silverwing.
So far, the burgman seems like the best value . jld

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi there

I too sold my Venture Royal for the Burgman... My Burgman is now set up for touring just like the Venture...but 200 lbs lighter, and handles better. But most of all it makes me smile :D ...instead of nervous.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have taken that route many times on my way to Holiday World. But only in a car. I'm not an interstate traveler. I'd rather drive state routes and hwys for the scenery. It's on my list of must do's when the weather breaks.

When you here the " beep" 8) it's probably me

·
Registered
62 Posts
My longest day on the B'man was 512 miles......
256 to Jacksonville, FL solo and 256miles back with my granddaugher on the back.

She's taller than I am, and she said the ride was comfortable and she had plenty of room to move around.

The B'man handled it with no difficulty at indicated speeds of 75 to 85 in order to maintain traffic flow on I95.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts