Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

My First Poker Run

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Invincsum 
#1 ·
Last Saturday, I went on my first Poker Run with my girlfriend Laura. For those of you who are unfamiliar with them I will explain. Everyone runs them a little different, but the concept is pretty much the same. A group, club or organization holds the run. You meet at the designated area and sign in. You are given a map of the area, and there are a certain amount of stops on the run. In my case it was three. Some runs give you a playing card at each stop, in our case we picked up a bean to show we made the stop and would receive a card at the end of the run. When you complete the run, you have 5 cards, and you try to get the best poker hand to win. (Hope that is an adequate explanation.) The runs are set up to be fun and usually are very scenic through nice landscapes, twisties and the like.

Well, our Poker Run was on a Sunday morning. I double checked the weather before I left. It was supposed to be partly cloudy with a high of 60 degrees F, 20% chance of rain. Sounds reasonable. We put on our jackets and grabbed our fair weather gloves and our full faced helmets. I was going back and forth as to whether I wanted to wear my leather chaps. Might be a little chilly, so I decided to strap ‘em on.

We arrived at the club and see about 30 bikes in the parking lot. We sign in and talk to the two guys at the table and get filled in. The ride would be about 100 miles. We make the three stops and come back by 4 PM. There were about 100 riders already signed up. We had some breakfast and coffee before we went. And then we were off!

We didn’t know anyone, so we rode alone. As we took off, the sky started to darken. About 20 minutes into the ride it started to rain. Not a bad rain, but steady, cold and wet. We decided to carry on. The roads were not too bad, visibility was OK, and I thought as long as I was smart and careful we would be fine. The ride was nice and would have been beautiful if the weather had been nice. I plan on riding the same run in nicer weather.

As we traveled we passed one or two of our fellow riders. At one point a group of seven bikes pulled over in front of us and went for cover. We again decided to carry on SLOWLY! We got to the first stop. It was a tavern. We peeled ourselves of the Burgie and went inside. Warmth and coffee were in order. We were wet, cold and not real happy, but we were determined to finish. We sat and dried off, and another rider comes in. We start to talk and we got along great. Laura was familiar with the next stretch of road and we knew of a short cut. The other rider (Mike) asked if he minded if we followed. I said that was fine if he didn’t have a problem riding behind a scooter. He had a Harley, but he said not at all.

Off we went again, Burgman leading, Harley following. We hit the next stop, a motorcycle club. We got our beans and as we were getting ready to leave a couple of Hog riders came out, and we BS’ed for a bit. They were real cool. Mike took the lead for the next stretch, as it was close to his house. We pulled over into a McDonald’s after a bit. We need to use the rest room and warm up. Laura went into the Ladies room and ran our gloves under the hand driver. We were soaked. Thank goodness we wore our chaps and full face helmets! At least our legs and heads were dry. Mike said that he was going to lead us on and then he was going to stop at his house to put on some dry clothes. He gave us directions to the next stop. We talked a bit more and he commented that it was a shame the weather was so crappy, because this was supposed to be fun, not an endurance run!

We rode on, Mike turned off, and we continued to the last stop. We pulled in, and parked next to a group of 6 bikes. A Honda Rebel, a Goldwing, and the rest various Harleys. I stopped the bike and talked to Laura for a minute. The group of riders walked our way. I heard one remark, “Hey it’s a scooter.” The leader of the group, was a harden looking rider who reminded me of the actor Sam Elliot. He stopped by our bike and gave us our beans to save us the trouble of getting off the bike on walking over to the spot they were stored. I thanked him and he walked on. We got out the map to try and figure out how to get back now. Sam looked over and remarked that we looked lost. I told him that I knew where I was, but I wasn’t sure how to get back. He walked over and gave us directions and told me we could follow him.

So now off we go again for the final stretch. A cold and wet blue Burgman 400 bringing up the rear. We got back to the club, handed in our beans, got our cards and looked at our hands. Laura got two deuces. Not too good. I pulled three eights! Not too shabby. We grabbed some coffee and some food and sat by ourselves. The table next to us had the group that we followed. We made a comment or two to each other, but that was about it. They started out with giving away the door prizes, and then it was time to announce the winners. The started with third place. Three eights. That was me! Cool! I got up and walked to the table to claim my prize ($25) and then sat back down. Laura leaned over on told me that when I got up, one of the guys from the next table said that it was the Scooter guy that won! But my new friend Sam looked at him and said that I finished the whole ride and that I deserved to win. Thanks Sam!!

So a little Blue Burgie 400 walked away with third place and the admiration of a veteran rider or two. Later Mike came up to me and shook my hand and said it was great riding together and that maybe we would run into each other again. Laura and I rode home, cold wet and shivering, but we were both happy and proud. Next run for me in about three weeks. Gonna let my Burgman represent!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My first poker run

Good that you hung out through the bad weather Zendan and Laura. Gail and I have not heard of a poker run here in England, but if we do, will certainly give it a try, cos it sounds like in all that rain, you still had fun. As more and more people opt for these top of the range scooters, they will become so normal on biker outings that we will be kind of sad when no one comments about them.
Regards

#7 ·
Congrats on the run and the win

Congratulations on the win, ZenDan. It sounds like, despite it all, you and Laura found a way to have fun on a nasty day. Good to hear you got some respect in the bargin. :wink: You gonna put the $25 toward something for your Blue 400?

When we told Lynn's brother, Greg (the Harley rider), about our Burgie 400, we asked whether he'd ride with us. He said, "Oh, sure...but you'll have to ride behind me 'cause no one rides in front of a Harley." He was joking--we'll have some fun riding with him next weekend if he can make it. He said he might accompany us part of the way home. Lynn says he's happy for us and glad there're more riders in the family.

Cheers and we'll be seeing you around, no doubt!

Bryna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.