Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been reading my owner's manual while I'm waiting for things to happen - we finally got insurance on the scoot yesterday; now we need to get into the safety class and get licensed - anyway; the manual says the left brake lever works the rear brake while the right brake lever works the front brake. I've read here that the brakes are linked - so, does my AN400K3 have linked brakes, or do I take the manual at face value and work both levers?

Also, I have no idea what to do with the rear suspension adjustment. The book says the standard setting is "9 clicks" - what will moving it from that magical setting accomplish? Is it simply a question of suspension stiffness for comfort, or does it play into how the bike handles? In my truck I prefer the suspension to be stiff, which makes for a bumpy ride - if I try the scoot at a stiff setting what does it do to the drivability, other than shaking my fillings loose? :?

The weather's starting to warm up a bit, so maybe I'll be able to do more than sit on the thing in the garage making "vroom-vroom" sounds!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Alan,
The left lever works the rear and the front. You can look at the front caliper and see the 2 hoses on it. The right one works only the front.

On the left side of the bike on the rear, look under around where the grab rail is and you will see a knob. It is for your shock. I have mine turned all the way up to make it not so squishy. I had turned it down last weekend but didn't like the way it rode. But that is just me.

Good luck with the course!!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nancy is correct. I believe that only the Burgman's with ABS have the linked braking system, but I could be wrong. I know that is the way the Silverwing and Reflex are, so I figured it would be the same for the Burgman.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pinwheel said:
Alan,
The left lever works the rear and the front. You can look at the front caliper and see the 2 hoses on it. The right one works only the front.
Thanks, Nancy - it's interesting that this isn't documented in the owner's manual!

On the left side of the bike on the rear, look under around where the grab rail is and you will see a knob. It is for your shock. I have mine turned all the way up to make it not so squishy. I had turned it down last weekend but didn't like the way it rode. But that is just me.
So adjusting the suspension only affects the ride comfort, and not how the bike handles? Does it corner differently based on the setting of the knob, or is it simply how soft it feels on your behind?

Good luck with the course!!!!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it - the wife is a bit more apprehensive, but she wants to do it so she'll be more comfortable when she decides to try riding.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well, that's interesting.

I assume then that while the 650's shocks adjust for preload, the 400's adjust for shock stiffness. While preload is slightly more important to me and the way I ride, I sure would like to add that other adjustment. Too bad it can't be retrofit.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Alan

Have a look at this pic and explain:

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album11/C_padsout_tools
Once the pic opens click on it again to supersize it!

and you will see the different effective working area of the pistons that operate the brake. The left lever operates the smaller of the front pistons.

I think the combination brakes are truly excellent.

As for shock adjustment I have turned to max stiffness. I find it more stable at high speed that way. If you just potter around you may wish for a softer setting.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
JD said:
Nancy is correct. I believe that only the Burgman's with ABS have the linked braking system, but I could be wrong. I know that is the way the Silverwing and Reflex are, so I figured it would be the same for the Burgman.
Excellent prediction - you were!! :D :D

Your logic is faultless BUT only the Lardy Exec - thus far has ABS and no Lardy has combination brakes. The 400 does have combination brakes but no ABS. Personally I think it is a big mistake and that both the Svelte and the Lardy should have combination brakes AND ABS - but I know there are many who would disagree.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Alan wrote
So adjusting the suspension only affects the ride comfort, and not how the bike handles? Does it corner differently based on the setting of the knob, or is it simply how soft it feels on your behind?
The suspension settings are for comfort, yes . But it's also impossible to adjust the suspension without effecting the handling of the bike , on some bikes it's a lot and on our scooters it is not.
Still, a light rider with the suspension set at maximum could find him/her self "bouncing" around some rough corners.
Try different setting till you find what feels best for your riding -you are looking for comfort in the saddle and also handling in the scooter, it is always a compromise between the two. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Alan_Hepburn said:
I've read here that the brakes are linked - so, does my AN400K3 have linked brakes, or do I take the manual at face value and work both levers?
Even though your left lever operates the rear brake and one of the pistons on the front brake, both levers must be squeezed for maximum braking power. 70 to 80% of your bike's stopping power is in the front wheel.
Get in the habit of using both levers every time you stop. In a emergency when you need max braking you won't have time to think which lever to use or to use both. You will instinctively revert to habit - using both levers. You'll learn a lot more about this in your MSF class and see demos.
Don

·
Registered
925 Posts
This is why I need a Burgman, so I don't answer any more questions wrong :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
JD said:
This is why I need a Burgman, so I don't answer any more questions wrong :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :wink:
hope you get your scooter soon. I just learned on Sunday that I could turn the wheel and lock it by turning the key left. Yep, took me over a month to find that out. :oops: Guess I need to read my owner's manual a little better.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Don't feel bad Nancy, I'm sure you're not the first one who didn't know about it. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Be carefull you don't turn the key too far. The tail light goes on, as a parking brake.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help everyone - I feel smarter already!

Nancy - my owner's manual says there's 2 lock positions on the ignition - if you turn the bars to the left, push the key in and turn to the left then it locks the wheel. But if you turn the bars to the left and turn the key to the left it puts it in "park" mode where the front end is locked but the tail light and markers are still lit - useful for stopping on the side of the road. It doesn't say if you have to push the key in to get to the "Park" mode or just turn it to the left - I'm going to try it out when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Alan. You'll enjoy the MSF course -- an excellent and important investment. I took it in large part to avoid having to perform on the marked DMV parking lot, ended up thankful for strategies & warnings & insights on what motorcyclish riding is about. Hope both you and your best passenger can go thru the class together. I rode on the Nimitz today, first time (shudder); the 400 did fine at average traffic speed of 75mph, but I still felt undressed. Made the mistake of telling Michele of my impressions... :shock:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
james_eric said:
...I rode on the Nimitz today, first time (shudder); the 400 did fine at average traffic speed of 75mph, but I still felt undressed....
:? Huh?

The only Nimitz I know of is the aircraft carrier named after Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Of what are you speaking?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry, local reference. Interstate 880 runs east side of SF bay betw Oakland and San Jose. A tiny slice of LA during perpetual rush hour. Fast, crowded, arrogant survivors in ones face at 75 mph. :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts