Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the Bugman 650 today for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very comfortable, shifted silky smooth and was rock stable during the windy ride.

One think I noticed was it wasn't as peppy as I was expecting. From 0-60 I noticed a steady climb but nothing to write home about. From 60-80 was even more dreary (almost makes me nervous to think about passing unless I'm totally sure it's clear).

I'm going to be buying a bike in Spring 2005 and this was on my short list next to the Katana 750 and V-Strom 1100. I want something that will go the distance, that's reliable and comfortable but with enough power to pass comfortably.

I don't know about the Katana and V-Strom as I haven't ridden either of them. These are also within my price range. Maybe they would provide me with enough get up and go. That was my ONLY gripe with the Burgman - otherwise it's a perfect machine. Does anyone have comments on the Katana or V-Strom? Am I off my rocker thinking the Burgman 650 doesn't have enough passing power? Any comments on this are welcome.

Thanks,

Silver

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Silver said:
One think I noticed was it wasn't as peppy as I was expecting. From 0-60 I noticed a steady climb but nothing to write home about. From 60-80 was even more dreary (almost makes me nervous to think about passing unless I'm totally sure it's clear).
Did you try putting the 650 in power mode? I understand it makes quite a difference on performance with the 650. I've read that the 650 (in power mode) can do 0-60 in a just over 6 seconds. To me, an AN400 rider, that's more than respectable performance. One thing I have noticed is the Burgman doesn't feel like it's accelerating as much as other conventional bikes since there's no shifting thru the gears...just smooth acceleration to the speed you want.

·
Registered
409 Posts
According to Motorcycle Consumer News, the 650 has 37.4 hp at the rear wheel. At close to 700 pounds with fuel and rider, what do you all think as to acceleration. My Bandit 600 has over 75 hp at and weighs 85 pounds less.

The Burgman doesexactly what I expect of it. I think my 650 is more than adequate.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Silver,

I own both a 2003 Burgman 650 and a 2003 1000cc V-Strom.

The V-Strom is certainly more adept at high speed 2 lane road passes. It will charge through the 100 mph mark, still pulling strong. Just do the math. At least 50 lbs lighter weight and almost twice the horsepower. It is electronically limited to 135 mph.

The Burgman 650 can pass, but on a 2 lane road, initiating a pass at 70 mph requires more room. It will get into the 90's, but anything resembling actual acceleration is over before 100 mph. On a freeway, or multi-lane highway, the Burgman is fine at cruising by traffic.

That said, I do ride my Burgman more often than the V-Strom. It is amazingly easy to ride, handles very well, is more stable under windy conditions, and has decent acceleration at speeds under 90 mph. I also tend to ride it further on a weekend ride. The V-Strom requires more effort to ride and will wear me down somewhat faster than the Burgman.

There is also the V-Strom 650 now, and it is selling well. Again, doing the math, it would fall between the AN650 and the DL1000 in performance.

You will see a lot of accounts in this forum of guys claiming to race away from motorcycles at stoplights and on tighter roads. That is really not BS. The Burgman 650 gets all the power it has to ground very efficiently with the CVT. No fuss, no rukus, no drama - just twist the throttle. A motorcycle rider must really be focused to beat the Burgman under those conditions, and he is going to create some rukus (and possibly some drama) doing it. The one place that the Burgman is at a performance disadvantage is the one you cited - high speed passes on 2 lane roads.

The other reality, is that once you are in that 90 mph plus range, you are risking your license (and insurance rates) if apprehended, so I tend not to go there too frequently. The V-Strom does tempt me to do it - the Burgman has a built-in reality check. :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The 650 makes a crisp 45-75/55-85 pass. The technique is to signal and hit the power button, pin the throttle, make your move, and hit the power button again to go back to the higher range. You can feel the bike is on the pipe in a big way. True the 75 + mph pass is less urgent, but it still will climb rather well to 90+, certainly better than mosts autos.

I had no problem making uphill passes on Rt. 202 starting at 65mph, and without efort ending up at almost 90 at the end of the lane change.

It is much more crisp pass than my Shadow Ace tourer, or Kaw Nomad FI. Although both of those machines are big pullers down low.

The best thing about Burgie is its usability around the backroads. You can be going through the villages at around 45-50, and as you pass through the winding areas, just a little twist and your'e going 70-75. its that good.

I am up around 3k mi now, and it still amazes me what they got this machine to do. And it handles great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and testimonies. I did test the Burgman in all modes "Power", "Automatic" and "Manual" and was impressed with it. Don't get me wrong - it was a dream to ride. Just the highway left me for wanting more. I know I went up to 150 km/hr and it only felt like 100 km/hr. The speed is very decieving and the lack of power was probably only in my mind.

I'll most likely end up getting one. Anyone here anything about the 2005 models - any changes?

·
Registered
220 Posts
At 85-90 mph the AN650 is similar to a Mercury Grand Marquis. Plush comfort, smooth ride, but in passing the acceleration isn't going to make your eyeballs hurt from the G force.

At that speed, my son's Harley Davidson, for which he paid 2 1/2 times what I paid for my Burgman, is noticeably lackluster, and I suspect the Burgie will take it.

Life is a compromise. If you want mind boggling high-speed passing, get the other half of the Burgman engine. It's called a Hayabusa.

After 20 years on sportbikes, I find the Burgman rather relaxing. I'm at my destination (25 mile rural mountain road trip) a mere minute or two later than I would have been on my Ninja. The Burgman is quite a pleasant surprise in the twisties.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i had thought the same thing about the burgman up near the 70-80mph zone. the best solution that i have come up with is when you want to pass at that speed go to manual mode and open it up. that will eliminate the cvt from downshifting due to a higher throttle load and let you pick up speed till u hit redline rather than the ratio being changed on you.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Guys, I don't know what areas of the country y'all live in but here in the mid-Atlantic area passing ability at the speeds you seem to be concerned about is, at least to me, a non-issue. Traffic on the interstates may travel at 70 - 80 mph but the need to quickly accelerate at those speeds just to get around a vehicle is rare.
Generally, in my 49 years of driving, you usually need the quick passing capabilities on the two-lanes. In my limited experience with the 650, it is quite capable of accelerating fast enough to safely pass (with the usual cautions) slower vehicles at or near our 55mph limit on the two lanes. If I was in that big of a hurry that I was concerned about passing at speeds approaching 70-90 mph, I'd take my Lincoln. I had my Yamaha Venture up to 100 mph one time and all I could think of was "What if a tire blows.........?" :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
Guys, I don't know what areas of the country y'all live in --cut--
Yah. That is the key determining factor.

Lycheed has congested Tokyo traffic to deal with. (I had a fit when he stated that the 650 "struggled" in city traffic, but for him, that is reality.)

I have high speed 2-lanes running through the rural hills that even the **** cattle trucks run at 65-70 mph. From what I've heard, Montana has 75 mph speed limits on it's 2-lanes and the folks up there drive them faster than that. Those speeds are not considered reckless in some places, and in fact, you are a risk if you are traveling much slower than the other traffic. I could use a little more top end performance out here sometimes.

The wind out here is wicked, but on the East coast where I used to live, the forests and mountains and hills provide natural cover against much of the wind. So, "windy conditions" doesn't mean the same thing in Connecticut as it means in Nebraska. When you are riding straight into a stiff wind, that forty ponies at the rear wheel can get a little tired. :wink:

Our perceptions of the machine's capabilities will most definitely be swayed by where we live and ride. And we have to accept that certain areas of the machine's performance will be perceived from excellent to marginal, depending on what area of the world it is being ridden in.

Overall, the 650 is a great machine, and I love to ride it - and most 400 owners feel the same way about their scooters. If someone wishes for a little enhancement in one area or another - it doesn't mean that they don't appreciate all the good stuff that the Burgmans provide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts