Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6' 4" with a 34" inseam. When I first sat on my Burgy my knees were almost rubbing against the glove box. Vertically, they were just under the handle bars, making safe operation physically impossible. Purchasing the bike wasn't feasible unless there was some way to modify the seat. Removing the "hump" did almost nothing in the way of increased leg room. Most upholstery shops will add/remove padding and/or change the cover. But almost none are willing to actually cut and modify the seat's shell, and this is what needed to be done. Luckily, my wife found a business that specializes in just this sort of thing. I just picked up my seat today and all I can say is WOW! Now, I'm able to stretch out comfortably and even put my feet on the vertical foot rests. This is the only change that truly makes a significant difference. For anyone interested, I spoke to the owner and he says he takes orders from throughout the country. You can visit his shop in person, or speak to him by phone and custom design your seat to your exact specifications. He uses natural hides or vinyl. Obviously, the natural hides are only suitable for presentation bikes, as they wouldn't stand up well to weather. The vinyl comes in several simulated animal hides, as well as standard smooth, textured, perforated, etc. By the way, my helmet still fits under the seat just fine. The alterations didn't encroach into the trunk area at all. Here are the specs for my seat.

* Seat hump permanently removed.
* Seat shell cut and remaining seatback moved rearward six inches.
* Two inches of padding added to new seatback. This effectively moves the seatback "4 inches" rearward from the original design.
* One inch of padding added to seat bottom for increased height
* Metal plate added to bottom side of seat to cover alteration area. Painted black for aesthetics.
* Interior seat light retained with normal functionality.
* The entire outer perimeter of the seat is NOT altered. Only the center of the seat is modified.
* Choice of vinyl coverings almost too numerous to mention.
* All original padding replaced with superior padding, with a density of your choice.

If anyone needs more details, please feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help you out in any way that I can.

http://www.hotexoticleathers.com/

Sube

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cost: $424. I know that sounds expensive, but I actually watched part of the process. He basically rebuilt the seat from scratch, all by hand. Considering a brand new OEM Suzuki seat is over $800, this is a bargain. Besides, it wasn't like I had a choice. It was either this, or not buy the bike. The fit of the original seat was that bad.

If he has your choice of vinyl in stock, normal delivery time is about a week. Mine took about twice that because I kept changing my mind on the design, which ended up requiring vinyl from a different vendor that had to be shipped from CA. I delivered and picked up the seat in person. Figure on a few more days if you're mailing your seat to him.

Sube

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks nice and hope it does the trick......and cover is waterproof. Some custom seats let water in where needles went thru= equal wet butt after rain/wash.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks nice and hope it does the trick......and cover is waterproof. Some custom seats let water in where needles went thru= equal wet butt after rain/wash.

·
Registered
59 Posts
THE MAN IS A CLASSY RIDER!!!! VERY sexy seat indeed :D but i still miss the butt pillow... :thumbup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thats a good looking seat and a completely fair price for that much custom work. I've had a lot of custom seats done and know what they cost.
Its also far less than the cost of a Corbin which is the way i went (happy I did for a couple of reasons).
Glad you found something that works for you.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Aha, that is what I envision for my 400, I need a "dish" in the seat like yours. Wow the stock seat sux. Almost as bad as the stock windscreen :? Although if I moved rearward, the stock windscreen might work better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts