Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1 month plus 1 week for delivery, the Corbin Close seat for the B 400 finally arrived. I was informed by Corbin in Daytona that a new arm would arrive with the seat because the standard Suzuki arm is not strong enough to support the heavier Corbin seat. There was no arm. The Corbin rep. told me that the latch issue had been resolved and there was no problem installing the seat. It took the dealer 2 hours to make the seat fit properly to the scoot and lock :!: The back rest is about 2" short for practical use on the seat. So tomorrow I am going to try and find a 3" screw to see if that works.

When I called the sales manager to complain about how I was misinformed, he said he would look into it. He did call me back and to say that they did not have a solution for the seat. I asked why his rep lied and he of course white washed it. In the long run he said that "you are obviously not happy with the seat and to send it back and he would refund me my money". I said that really was not a very good solution.

I thought that Corbin was a reputable company. So now I have to run around and try and figure out if someone makes an arm strong enough to support the seat. Suggestions from anyone are welcome.

The seat does look good. However I got use to riding with the stock and my legs stretched out that now I feel confined in the Corbin close seat. I will give it a little more time to get use to it. Someone asked how close was the seat. If you take a tape measure from the center of the ignition switch to the edge of the bucket (where the back meets the seat) it is exactly 26". This causes me to ride with my knees bent (still plenty of room from the dashboard). I have a 26" inseam.

The seat is also lower to the ground. I was on tipy toes with the stock seat when stopped. I am now on the balls of my feet when stopped.
When I move up on the seat I can push the scoot back with flat feet on the ground. That part is good.

I will reserve judgement as to whether this was a good purchase after I have a chance to get use to it. However I guess for the money I was expecting the seat to fit like a glove and was disappointed to find out that this is not the case. And I am also disappointed in Corbin who would manufacture a seat and not provide the supporting arm to hold the heavier seat up. :(

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn
Nice report, to bad about the arm but maybe someone is working on it.
one thing I could not follow
The back rest is about 2" short for practical use on the seat. So tomorrow I am going to try and find a 3" screw to see if that works.
you lost me, but that's not hard to do :oops:

I will be looking for your udates.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Randy,

Sorry for not being clear on the backrest. The backrest sits about 2" behind the bucket seat. Corbin provides screws to move the backrest as close to the rider as possible. However on the close seat the screws which are provided are short so that there is a rather large space between the rider and backrest. In order for me to rest on my back I have to practically lean backwards over the top of the bucket seat which causes me to lose my grip on the handle bars. So I am going to look for a 3" screw which will hopefully push the backrest comfortably into my back. I don't think that is a problem on the reg. Corbin seat but it definitely is on the close seat. If the screw does not work I will have to return the backrest.

I hope that answers your question.

Evelyn

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After finding a 3" screw and readjusting the angle of the seat the backrest still does not work because it sits too high on my back. Also there is a space between my back and the bottom portion of the backrest. So I've sent it back as it was not worth the money :evil:

I also went to an Advanced Auto parts store and a truck accessories shop to see if I could find an arm that would keep the Corbin seat up. No such luck. I have already banged my helmet twice trying to hold the seat up with one arm and place my helmet in the trunk so that it would not get smashed. This is really aggravating!

Does anyone out there know of an arm or a device that can hold the seat up? Please help, I know that some of you already have this seat, what do you do?

Evelyn

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
A piece of wood. I use an old long shaft screwdriver. I removed my seat arm so the seat would open wider.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Unhooking the arm might be your best bet. Open the seat until it wants to fall toward the front, then attach a chain or cable or whatever to keep it in that position when open. Use tension (cable) instead of compression (arm/post/screwdriver/whatever). Just be sure and attach the cable INSIDE, and make sure it collapses inside when shutting the seat.

Dave B.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good idea Dave. You don't have a problem with the seat closing after constantly extending it beyond what it was designed for?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Eyelyn wrote
Sounds like a good idea Dave. You don't have a problem with the seat closing after constantly extending it beyond what it was designed for?
Sounds like a really good idea, even without a Corbin seat.
Your not really extending the opening , it's on a hinge you just don't want it to go back (open) enough to bend the hinge.
We all open it that much every time we clean the air filter on the 400 :) .

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Evelyn said:
You don't have a problem with the seat closing after constantly extending it beyond what it was designed for?
I've only had my 650 for a week now. I have no idea how far the seat will hinge back safely. So check it carefully. If it rotates freely to the over-center position I suggested above, then you should be OK. Just be SURE and have that cable/chain connected well. You don't want the seat slamming down on the dash.

If it works, let us know.

Dave B.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Corbin seat experience etc.

Evelyn,

Sorry to hear of your Corbin woes. It seems (my unscientific observation) that people either love or hate their Corbin seats. In your case since you've had Corbin seats in the past, you are a lover and their poor service and treatment of you is their missed opportunity to sell more seats to Burgman owners.
If I move up to the 650, I may be interested in a Corbin simply because they're available for Burgmans. I'd consider it to get the 650 seat lower for my 29" inseam. I know I can probably handle the stock seat but still am hoping for a demo ride to see how I fit on the 650!

Burgwoman USA
Michigan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Burgwoman400,

You'll probably want to verify this, but I believe the Corbin seat for the Burgman 650 is actually taller than the stock seat by an inch or two.

On the V-Strom DL1000 I had, the Corbin seat was 1.5 inches lower than the stock seat, but it actually made it harder for me to get my feet to the ground because of its increased width.

I think anyone with shorter legs should approach the purchase of a Corbin seat with caution. At a minimum, I'd suggest discussing your needs with Corbin, and determining if there are any modifications they can do to make the seat more appropriate for a given inseam.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your response. I solved the problem. I got a wooden dowl and cut it to 8 and 3/4" and placed it between the rubber washers holding the screws to the seat and presto it held. I am thrilled with that because it is small enough to store in the trunk without taking up too much space.

I have never had a corbin seat before and this is my first experience. I did send them all my measurements but I would strongly suggest people who have short legs to sit on one first before ordering a close seat. If I could have gone to Jacksonville, Fla I would have gotten a Sargent seat as they custom fit everything to your "butt".

It has been raining here so I still need to ride more to pass final judgment on this seat. You would think after spending all this money it would fit like a glove. Oh well, live and learn.

On Sat I was at the dealer and this man suddenly comes up and sits on my Scoot! When the owner of the store went out to tell him this was a customer bike, the guy had the nerve to say, "I know but I heard a lot about Burgmans and just wanted to sit on one!" How rude. I suppose if I had driven up in a convertable it would have been O.K. for the idiot to sit in the car to see how it feels :evil: That will teach me to lock my steering column even if I am right inside the store and can see the scoot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts