Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2005 Burgman 650 is a second-hand model which I purchased from a rider who never used it.

I purchased it in 2009, when it had 10000 miles on the clock. It now has 27500 miles.

The guys in the local bike shop think I should buy a newer bike, but I'm on a tight budget most of the time.

I'm looking to make a few modifications. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket windshield to replace the original one? Is Givi the way to go for a '05 Burgman? Are the shields easy to install yourself?

Is anyone here using Mutazu side saddles for the Burgman? If so, I'd like comments or opinions on which saddles suit the Burgman best.

Also, can anyone advise me on the procedure for adding starter fluid to the bike?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Buy a new bike! Hogwash! I just bought a 2005 650 last year. She's in the prime of her life, as is yours. 27k is not even close to being old. Ride it till it dies. Then think about something new. The windshield is easy to replace. I like the original, so no experience with aftermarket.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm with Liam - you don't need a new bike until the one you have dies many years and miles down the road.

I've got the Givi and I'm really happy with it. Others like the Clearview. Changing the windshield is amazingly simple and can be done by the untrained in about 20 minutes with just a screwdriver. Experienced folks will be able to do it in five minutes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm with Liam - you don't need a new bike until the one you have dies many years and miles down the road.

I've got the Givi and I'm really happy with it. Others like the Clearview. Changing the windshield is amazingly simple and can be done by the untrained in about 20 minutes with just a screwdriver. Experienced folks will be able to do it in five minutes.
20 minutes? You work slow!

There are four screws. Pop the cover plate off and have at it. It takes me 20 minutes to remove it, wash it, and put it back on.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As I said... "Experienced folks will be able to do it in five minutes."

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You certainly don't need a new bike - yours is barely broken in.

I sold my 2005 to get the 2009 but the 2005 is still going strong with another owner - not one single failure beyond a battery on either machine and getting on 90,000 km on the pair and I'm not gentle in the twisties.
They do eat tires tho.

I favour the Clearview over the Givi.

Why saddlebags?
I'd get a 55l topcase first. Gives you 110 litres of storage.
Compare to a Wing with 140 litres including the sidebags
Only if you are two up for touring might you need sidebags

Quite happy doing distance with this setup - holed up just now somewhere in the Adirondacks after a couple of long days enjoying the region.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Why saddlebags?
I'd get a 55l topcase first. Gives you 110 litres of storage.
Compare to a Wing with 140 litres including the sidebags
Only if you are two up for touring might you need sidebag.
55 litres gives you 110 litres? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Starter fluid or ether to be more specific is not the wisest thing to use. It washes all the oil off of the cylinder walls, which can ruin the cylinder walls and water down the oil with gas bypassing the rings. There are also more dangers with using ether I won't get in to. I'm sure Google could tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the negatives of using ether.
That said I keep a can handy in my garage.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Originally Posted by peelbrow View Post
55 litres gives you 110 litres? Am I missing something here?
We DO love the shocked looks when the seat and the glove compartments open up :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
My K-6 has just over 10K on her... I've put almost a thousand on her since I got her going... I like the Clearview screen with the vent... I have a Givi topbox and a set of soft side Givi bags. I think I could pack what I need to be gone a long time quite easily... Only mods I'm thinking about are reflective tape or decals, strobes for the brake lights and some extra lighting for night driving...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have followed and know people w/ brake strobes and looks to me that they don't work as well in daytime as regular brake lights and at night seem unnecessary or confusing to people behind them. Reflective tape on helmet or in other spots is not a bad idea.

I would save my money and not go led or other strobe lights. Deer are your biggest nighttime problem and they don't care about strobe brake lights either.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Get a new battery before you start to use drugs on the poor scoot.

The Burgman starts without fuss well below the freezing point - provided the battery is ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts