Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

My collection: military aviation pilots from First World War to present

9K views 135 replies 10 participants last post by  Daniele 
#1 ·
My brother and I have been collecting aviation uniforms and equipment since 1983.
With the kind permission of the Moderators, I would like to present to you our collection of military aircraft pilots from the First World War to today: 100 years of military flight history represented by about 45 fully equipped mannequins, fully equipped in flight order.
Everything is complete and original, perfectly "matching" for the right type of aircraft, era, war theater and operations. For each visible item, there are many more hidden in emergency vests, pockets etc. Some items are in the history books.
Years of research and studies in days without Internet but on mountains of books ... and many sacrifices.
To those interested, a good view. Thanks to everybody.

#63 ·
Your food bill must be very high feeding all those pilots. ;)

#77 ·
The final touch for the USAAF B-24 waist gunner:
the armored "Flak Vest" (modified helmet, thoracic and dorsal vest, apron) which could protect against German anti-aircraft artillery shrapnels and splinters.
30 lbs. total, Wilkinson Sword manufacturer, 1944

#85 ·
Interesting to see a large bulging pistol or revolver on the outside of the pilot’s right leg.
I know the spitfire especially, were very cramped quarters for the pilot, so I can’t imagine how they would fit that in that position without it impeding their comfort and controls. I also don’t know why such an impediment would be carried on a battle that wasn’t over enemy lines. Do you have any record of how many pilots wore it like that, during the Battle of Britain?

#91 · (Edited)
I know the spitfire especially, were very cramped quarters for the pilot, so I can’t imagine how they would fit that in that position without it impeding their comfort and controls. I also don’t know why such an impediment would be carried
My initial thought, when I saw it, was that there was no way he could run to his aircraft when a "Scramble" was ordered, with that strapped to his leg!

( Not to detract from a VERY IMPRESSIVE line-up of exhibits, thanks @Daniele..(y))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.