Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is normal for a Burgman to moan after a 70 mile ride?
I have a new 2003, I am working on breaking it in. It had 240 miles prior to this ride. The moan comes from just below the seat area on the drivers right hand side. After the engine is shut off. The moan is not continueous it moans once every 60-90 seconds or so for about 45 minutes.

I was just wondering if it needs a visit to the Suzuki Doc. :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Could be pressure build up gradually releasing? But where? Gas tank?
Cooling system?

Take it to the dealer. They're used to customers moaning. This'll be something new.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Danee, my 650 had a sticky fuel system pressure release valve. The 650 has two pressure release valves. It made a sound similar to a fuel pump running or a humming. It only did it when the gas tank was less then 1/2 full and did it with or without the motor running. Some others reported the same noise, but I do not know what if anything they did about it. I sold my 650 while I was waiting on the new valve to come in to the dealer. The guy who brought it got the valve from the dealer when it came in. I assume he had it installed. He has not said anything about the noise since.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I've been getting the same noise. It's hard to describe but moan comes close. I actually thought a cat or something had climbed up under the seat. When my son heard it, he thought it was my dog whining.

I've heard it in the morning after my bike has been sitting all night and other times when the bike has been sitting a while. It doesn't sound to me like a fuel pump running. Some type of pressure release is possible I guess.

Gotta tell ya, it's really wierd to walk into my garage at night to put out the trash and hear a moaning sound in the dark. Wish I knew what it was and even more, I wish I could make it stop ! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
That is really weird. Several inappropriate responses came to mind when I read the post, but nothing fitting to share. The fan sounds like a fan, unless it is dying, then I kind of growls. Does sound like what was said above, fuel lines bleeding off pressure through a leaky regulator. Should do it all the time though, not just after long rides, unless heat build up is causing the regulator not to seat properly.

At work we say "let it develop". Eventually the intermittant problem or noise becomes obvious when the equipment dies. Your ride might leave you walking though. :?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the last post

It has been some 8500 miles since I heard it again. I have no I reason why it happened but it is gone now.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
If the bike was new, my guess would be that it was a metal part (like the muffler) contracting after being heat-expanded during the ride, and rubbing against another part.

By now, at 8500 miles, everything would be "settled in" and so there will be fewer noises from that sort of thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Poltergeist. Get yourself a priest and give that Demonic Burg an Exorcism!
Unless you are comfortable with spirits in your bike.. it could be a speed demon. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Mine imitates a morning dove (moaning dove to you southerners) at the start of each day.
Hard to tell sometimes if the noise is coming from the doves up on the streetlamps or from underneath the burg. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wasn't going to be the one to do it, but I knew someone would! Hehe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you eat any chili while you were on the ride?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts