Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm at about 1400 miles on my 400, and I've noticed in the last couple of hundred miles that the pitch of the engine is becoming deeper and more "throaty", and the idle isn't quite as smooth as it was during the first thousand miles. The power seems to be consistent (the speedometer says my mph still corresponds to my rpms like I expect it to) and I have good acceleration (although as I get more accustomed to what it'll do I dont feel like I'm gonna be thrown loose from the handlebars from an open throttle anymore), it just sounds different. Most of my miles are highway commuting at 60-75 mph. Is this change a good thing or a bad thing? I've read several posts from people who said their bikes change and improve over time, and I kinda like the sound of the deeper roar, but that doesn't mean it's positive. Any ideas?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I'll do that. Thanks. Wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm.... I read through the instructions in the manual regarding cleaning the air filter, and frankly, it looks like a really messy business for someone living in an apartment. A couple of questions... Any suggestions for a particular "non-flammable solvent"? and once you soak the air filter in clean oil, how wet should it be left before you put it back in? Do all motorcycles use an oil-soaked filter, or is this a Burgman thing? If I choose to skip the mess and just have someone else do it, what would I expect them to charge?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price is right. Does it come pre-lubricated, or do I still need the oil soak portion of the procedure?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
hrdillender said:
...Do all motorcycles use an oil-soaked filter, or is this a Burgman thing?
No, all motorcycles don't use oil-soaked air filters.

It's also not a "Burgman" thing, because the 650 doesn't use one, either.

You 400 riders get all kinds of fun stuff: oil-soaked air filters, frequent valve adjustments, headlights burning out...

:p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the price you pay for being this sexy. :rr:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brian said:
You 400 riders get all kinds of fun stuff: oil-soaked air filters, frequent valve adjustments, headlights burning out... :p
::wake up from nightmare:: whew! I was gonna trade in my 650 for a 400!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I decided to just get it over with and clean the thing. I couldn't find a "non-flammable" solvent, but then I remembered that "Dawn takes grease out of your way". Big bucket, hot water, plenty of soap, and it rinsed clean. It was pretty grimy, I guess, but how do you tell if an oil soaked filter is actually dirty? It had a gritty coat on the surface, and the water washed out rather dark, so I guess so. It certainly can't hurt, I suppose. I rinsed it REALLY well, and I've been air drying it all night to make sure it's bone dry before I soak in oil again. I actually stuck it to the back of a box fan to suck air through it to dry out all the water. Seems clean now, at least. I can rub it with a paper towel and not come away greasy. Good enough for me. Once I get it back together I'll be able to tell if that's the source of the sound change, anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like the cleaner would. The Air filter oil they list says it's for cotton filters, and I don't know if that'll work for the plastic sponge filter in the 400. I'm gonna get some of the cleaner for next time around though. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
since the K&N filter is "oil soaked", will this work?
Seems like it would be perfect; especially if you're one of the many who are using the K&N filters instead of the Suzuki ones.

No personal experience here, though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
lifegetter said:
Brian said:
You 400 riders get all kinds of fun stuff: oil-soaked air filters, frequent valve adjustments, headlights burning out... :p
::wake up from nightmare:: whew! I was gonna trade in my 650 for a 400!
And here is temptation. It is just north of Conroe/Magnolia [hint, hint, pinwheel: putterbug II?]. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet bike. Why they selling, I wonder? haven't even finished the breakin.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
hrdillender said:
Sweet bike. Why they selling, I wonder?
He probably woke up one day and said, "Wow. I coulda had a 650." :p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More likely they realized a Silver K5 400 was just too cool for them, and have downgraded to a vespa.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts