Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little trip yesterday to Kingman AZ. For some Mega Million tickets. Probably a good idea I spend most of my riding on my Burgman 400 that may reach 90 mph or my PCX150 that does 65 mph. Keeps me legal. Too much power in the wrong hands. But she's running fine! ;)

Attachments

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I dont know what the bmw looks like so searched to see images. wow! nice and beefy. I wouldnt guess 1999.

I am confused regarding your post though. youy mention the bmw and then say you rode mostly on the b400.

youve been naughty at 111mph.

you do maintenance yourself on bmw or is like some other models where its all locked that only bmw mechanics can work on it?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
There was at least another 15mph in there if you got your head down.
Oil head Beemers are actually pretty easy to work on but the RT has about a million bloody fixings to remove if you want the tank and tupperware off.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It needed quite a bit of work but I got it cheap $2000.00 and no tax. Changed out all the fluids, replaced the 10 year old tires and 21 year old brake lines with steel braided. Had the HES rewired and updated the cam chain tensioner as I was told by the BMW forum. Replaced the original (1999) fuel filter and hoses which looked pretty bad in the tank and the alternator belt. Rebuilt the calipers but the seals didn't look bad once apart. Adjusted the valves which are easy on this bike. Sync the throttle bodies. New Battery, Sargent aftermarket seat. Taller windshield, GPS mount, yada yada.........

It is a grand old sport tourer. BMW's are notorious for being money pits but they have their following. Not as comfortable as the Burgman. Had to get AAA towing so I can get it towed at least 100 miles if it breaks down somewhere.

I really didn't want to own a bike over 500 lbs anymore but my riding friend who owns a Triumph Explorer 1200 talked me into it it. "It's only $2000.00!"

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two more years it will have Antique plates.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
They are good bikes and you did l the right bits especially the HES well known for going **** up at 50k or so miles. I have owned 5 Beemers do all my own spannering. Airhead oil heads and wet heads. You need the Gs911 for wet heads though but worth it . Rebuilt gearboxes on airhead. Liked them l apart from an R45 which BMW should have used as a boat anchor. I think the best one for me was the R1100RS purely because I put Rockster bars on it and a loud Cobra exhaust. The bars turned it into a hooligan tool the exhaust made small children cry and the elderly wee in their incontinence pants. Ground several heads guards to death on that bike.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are good bikes and you did l the right bits especially the HES well known for going **** up at 50k or so miles. I have owned 5 Beemers do all my own spannering. Airhead oil heads and wet heads. You need the Gs911 for wet heads though but worth it . Rebuilt gearboxes on airhead. Liked them l apart from an R45 which BMW should have used as a boat anchor. I think the best one for me was the R1100RS purely because I put Rockster bars on it and a loud Cobra exhaust. The bars turned it into a hooligan tool the exhaust made small children cry and the elderly wee in their incontinence pants. Ground several heads guards to death on that bike.
I noticed some fine shavings on the gearbox magnet the two times I replaced the fluid. The first time more but who knows when it was changed last.

I read the R1100 gear box does not like to be put in neutral when you stop at a light. I guess the straight cut gears. Also someone said if you rub the filings between your fingers and their smooth it's normal if they cut into your fingers you have a problem. I forgot to try that last time. So not much I can do right now except don't use neutral and see if that helps.

Also here in Southwest they recommend 75/140 for the gear box and rear diff.

Thanks for the tip on the GS911.

Reactions: maccecht

·
Registered
322 Posts
Congrats on your RT purchase. I've owned older airheads for almost 50 years now and never took one to a bmw dealer to service or repair, easiest in the world to work on. I can't say that for the newer ones. I did buy a 2006 R1150rs and loved it for awhile until plastic fuel connectors and other things started failing; I sold it as quick as I could. Fuel injection, ABS and all the tech is nice but i don't know how to work on them.

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
Uncle:

I had an R850R, known as an "oilhead," bought new in 1997. Great bike, which I wish I still had ... but it was a sort of a lease-purchase plan, and I had to sell after three years (because times were harder for me then, financially, and selling it was the only way I could come up with the money due then). Come to think of it, I wish I had kept my '07 Exec, too.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Well. I lived in Kingman '02-08 😎 took my 05 Concours all over the west. I miss the town and the west. Coming west into K'man on I-40 one day I hit 120 on that downgrade 🙂
In 05 I found a new sapphire blue R1150RT in Phoenix, test rode, the bike felt like it was carved from a billet of unobtanium! Solid. Nice bikes.
Bought the 05 Conk instead from K'man dealer. They helped me with parts when I slid in burro poop on rt 66 and dumped it. Fixed myself. About a thou in damage. Stupid expensive bodywork. The BMW prob would have been several thou 😐

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Vegas freeways are insane. I saw squids on liter bikes, t-shirts and flip flops, two-up, doing 100+.

Reactions: Taichungman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts