Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The bike: 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Acquired: August 2013 with 4300 miles and some abuse on her...

The good:

Low miles
Mechanically sound, Everything works and functions as it should
Cheap price

The bad:

Dropped on both sides (not while moving) so it had scratches all around the outer edge of the fairings and the pillion handles and gas cap
Left mirror has a large chip out of the bottom corner
Both front turn signal lenses broken/cracked
Lower rear fairing piece missing
Both tailights had broken or cracked mounts on them
Oil overfull
Windshield had scratches all over it

The Story:

I had been looking for a 'Burg, T-Max or Silverwing in my price range and found this one after a couple weeks of looking. We settled on $3250 and since it was a little side lot type dealer they paid my title transfer fees and the taxes so the price was "out the door".

Got her home and did the basic maintenance, Oil change (rotella 5w40 syn), New plugs, cleaned out the air filter box (mice...dammit!!!) and checked tire pressure etc. Assessing the damage I needed a new lower rear fairing and had to try to fix the windshield or replace it. Other than that it was mostly cosmetic or easy repairs and i had a plan. I fixed the taillights with Goop, Just glued the broken tabs back onto the main housing and let them dry overnight and ordered new turn signals for the front and a new rear fairing online. I wet sanded the windshield and then used polishing compound and a wheel to finish it off. Rode it until winter and put her away.

Over the winter I disassembled the scoot and cleaned/sanded/"painted" the fairings with bedliner which does a great job at covering problems and also looks pretty good. I screwed up the original windshield while trying to paint it but got lucky and found one in the Classified section here at a great price and it was practically new so I snagged it and painted it keeping with the black/white theme. Also added 2 brake lights (one with a modulator) and 4 side marker lights, 2 amber and 2 bright white that help me see at corners. Also took apart the front brakes and cleaned/lubed everything.

I don't know what I am going to do about the mirrors yet and I want/need to change out the fork oil to something better since the new shocks helped the rear ride much better now but she is pretty close to being a finished product :D

I have a couple other things to do to her but the winter was so cold here it slowed my progress.

The add-ons:

Grip Puppies
6 Added LED lights
Random stickers/badging
Bedliner...and more bedliner
BMC filter (replaced mouse nest stock filter)
Silverstar Headlights
Brake Light Modulator
Bearcat Backrest w/cheap back pad
Buzzers in turn signal housing

The Pics: (everyone's favorite....ppl hate reading)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Congrats and I must say that's a clever way to go over all those damaged areas on the panels. Looks great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Beeeautiful job! Have been thinking of covering over a few big rock dings on my Vic XCT with something. Love the way you did it! Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Looking at it reminds me of one of my favorite Japanese anime servies, Space Battleship Yamato or as it was known here StarBlazers. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Jenkins if you do use the bedliner just tape everything off carefully and use a red scotch brite to scuff the areas you want to spray then a few light coats of bedliner and make sure to flip the can upside down and clean it out after each coat.

Light coats give a really good textured finish while heavy coats will end up being more smooth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,179 Posts
Nice :thumbright:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention....Progressive rear shocks and springs. I am still breaking them in but it's a big improvement already and well worth a couple hundred $$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
"Cheap" fix suggestion to enhance the already great look. Hair dryer on the warning labels and then peel them off. ArmorAll the area where the labels were. Worked great for me.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
"Cheap" fix suggestion to enhance the already great look. Hair dryer on the warning labels and then peel them off. ArmorAll the area where the labels were. Worked great for me.:eek:
The first thing I did when I bought my '03 new. I then stuck them on the inside of the glove box door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Cheap" fix suggestion to enhance the already great look. Hair dryer on the warning labels and then peel them off. ArmorAll the area where the labels were. Worked great for me.:eek:
I never actually thought about removing those, Not like I actually read them or anything though :D

I will have to add that to my "later this summer" project list for the 'burg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job! Neat idea of aux. mirrors on the compartment doors, too.
Thanks!

Those mirrors aren't real useful while driving since they sit so low but they work awesome when stopped at lights, The way they curve you can see everything around you without having to turn and look.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top