Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s been a little while, approximately 2000 KM, (1300 miles) on the new bike and I have some thoughts and a question.
1) Mileage averaging between 60-65 per US gallon. My bikes in KM but I did the conversion. I’ll take that however my Honda Civic is getting 55MPG. Good thing the bike is way more fun but you would think they could improve the mileage?
2) Ride Comfort, pleasure factor, no comparison to previous SYM 250, although same smile in both cases.
3) Minor problems: battery died, dealer replaced and assumed a bad battery as I could not even get it boosted.
4) Found the Eco drive light distracting at first but now find I pay attention to it and it has encouraged better acceleration and cruising habits. Second benefit is that I also notice forgotten turn signal more quickly.
5) I definitely have the desire to go longer and farther since this bike cruises so well at highway speeds, where I did not like venture in the past. Back roads are way more fun anyways.
The one quirk that I find annoying is the cooling fan! When the temperature approaches the 30’s (85-90 F) it will start up at the next stoplight. And is it just my bike but it literally whines. I was in a lineup at the border crossing and it started to whine and would not quit. The worst part is the US border guard suggested that I should have gotten a Harley. One wants to respond but that is not the best time or place to start any discussion.
I have not seen many comments on noisy fans in this forum, which I would expect from more southern states, so is it just me??
In summary, no regrets and looking forward to many years of smiles. :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check your cooling fan. Mine is so quiet I can't even tell that it's running. It may be rubbing against the shroud. I have a question for you, is yours indicating 60-65 mpg/us or is that your math at fill-ups? Mine is indicating about 58.5 at empty, but after doing the math at the pump, I'm getting about 64.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jetfixer,

Thanks for the tip about the fan. It does not sound right to me either.

In regards to mileage, I take my gas receipt in liters, total mileage in kilometers since we are all metric up here, including my speedo. So I actually show around 27km/liter more or less which works to about 63MPG. I use the following site: www.thecalculatorsite.com for the conversion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My '08 650's fan comes on at around the same temps you stated. It whirrs but no so much that its annoying. Most of my commute is stop-n-go, so its to be expected.
BTW, I'm a convert from the RV250 as well ;^)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cooling fan whine?

What cooling fan whine? Maybe a whoosh...Can't say I've ever noticed it on mine.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I'm amazed at the MPG you guys are getting on the new 650's.

I averaged 50 MPG over 38,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fan noise

I have a recodring of the noise on my iPhone but I cannot compress it enough to upload so you could hear it.

If I figure it out I will upload.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think you may have a fan problem, either a bent mounting shroud or just a bad motor bearing.

The general experience of pre 2013 Lardys is:

1. Have I got a fan?

OR

2. How do I test it - I never hear it running?

OR

3. I was stuck in traffic and my fan did not cut in - what do I need to do?

In any event it does make you smile to reflect, that a piddling little electric motor can ever or even, be heard over the noise of the engine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
There is fan on these, me never hear fan !!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I sometimes here the fan on both my AN650K3 and AN650K7 exec's, but not always. It depends on other factors such as ambient noise and possible wind speed and direction. But one thing is I only even hear the fan on either scoot when the engine RPM is at or near idle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You should definitely get that fan checked. I live in the south and I never here my fan on my 2013.

However, your fuel milage is excellent. Since break-in I'm only getting around 53-55mpg but I do live in the mountains and like to whip the horse every now and then:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I never hear the fan on my 2012 until I put it in the garage and turn it off. Then that is the wind down sound. At least that lets me know it works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just put 6,000 miles on a new '13 650. 59 mpg over that period. Not great, but better than a BMW scooter by a good bit and w/ regular grade fuel.

Suggest you get your fan checked. I was riding in 100 degree weather and this one never came on or was so silent it couldn't be heard.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'd be damned happy with 59mpg, I still haven't broken 50mpg in my (new to me) '04 650 and I'm babying it. Today's fill-up calculated 49.98mpg. I guess I have to lose some weight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts